PDA

View Full Version : Air Bag Windows? (prev. thread)

JDMjosh
10-17-2006, 08:39 PM
I remember this thread from way back, but had nothing credible to add either way.

There was a video posted of, maybe an interga, with what looked like power windows controlled by compressed air. they shot up and down within an eighth of a second, and everyone was speculating on whether or not it was even posible, or if this video was some kid's wet dream made real via photoshop.

i spent the last 6 months swamping, then driving a picker truck for http://bxtrtqlx.sasktelwebhosting.com/ and if i learned anything during my stay there, it would be:

1. that hick-town bumfucks like pick up trucks, not lil japanese sports cars.

2. change really DOES scare people.

3. i can swing pretty fast when i think my life may be in danger.

4. %85 of old Kenworth rigs have air susp. windows (passenger side only. drivers side has manual window in case of emergency) that run off the same compressor as the air bags, seats, etc...

5. i will never enjoy country music, no matter how long i'm subjected to it with no alternative.

so in my free time, i did some checking around, and learned it's all basically one selanoid, one cylinder, air lines and a switch. the more PSI you have, the faster the window goes up or down. and the switch will have a vent line, so you can raise and lower the window as slow or as fast as you want by flipping the switch only part way. it's tricky to raise or lower the window slowly, considering the size of the tank (PSI) on those trucks, therefore much easier to do it in small incriments. (PSST.. PSST... PSSST.. 'FUCK!'.. SSSSSssssss..... PSST.. PSSST... PSST... 'FUCK!'... SSSSssssss...))

basically, what i'm saying is: it's possible. and probably not very hard to do.

you'd need all the basic air components.

and you may have to do something about the 'Z' style lift track in the door, and possibly convert it to two individual, vertical tracks (Kenworth style) instead. the trickiest part would be keeping the window perfectly level throughout it's travel up and down, or it'll get jammed up and shatter, with enough PSI.

i've seen the kit Kenworth sells, and am considering doing this to a land yacht that i own, so if anyone has questions or wants pics or diagrams, lemme know and we'll brainstorm.

P.s. if anyone feels the need to move this thred and join it up with the previous, feel free.

Murgatroy
10-18-2006, 07:47 AM
I know my Freightliners and Internationals I drive daily have manual windows or electric powerwindows.

It would be more hassle than it was worth just to get faster windows. If you were running an air suspension, then it might be different.

CollapsedNut
10-18-2006, 05:25 PM
What are we gonna have window races? It takes like 10 seconds tops to put a window down..but no thats not fast enough, closer to .5 second would be better! All I can say is make sure nobody has a finger or arm or head or body out the window before you hit that switch!

JDMjosh
10-20-2006, 10:23 PM
haha yeah. the video of that kid's intergra looked dismemberingly dangerous. crazy work he did, sweet vid.

2kSnakEater
10-20-2006, 10:39 PM
I can wait the 5-10 sec it takes to put a window down and up, there is a very serious down side if your windows are that fast, 1 they will shatter if they jam or malfunction even once, 2 they can kill or seriosuly maim if they are that fast.

tankd0g
10-20-2006, 11:08 PM
I've seen it in movies, it's pretty cool, but not very practicle.

JDMjosh
10-23-2006, 12:57 AM
i've driven a rig on road so bumpy, my ass left the seat, and i was never once concerned about the window shattering... but i suppsoe it COULD happen.

air windows make a sweet noise. and that concludes my two cents of it all.

i'd rather invest into expensive, versatile motors for the windows and expensive switches. choose your speed.

meh, who cares. i just thought i'd prove what most doubted was real.