PDA

View Full Version : does anyone here detail?

jakbauerctu
10-17-2006, 03:05 AM
I take a lot of pride in keeping my car clean, so i was suprised when i came here and saw only a couple threads in the wash section. do any of you guys care about detailing? or do you all just do the wash(and possible wax) once a week/month/whatever?

Slider
10-17-2006, 04:28 AM
I sure do. I claybared, used paint cleaner, polished, then waxed it. That was a year back though. Now I just wax every month or two, and it stays dirty during the winter. It looks alright, I have a bunch of car care stuff for cheap so I might as well use them.

When I get a newer car I'm getting an orbital polisher, then I'll be really able to make it shine.

AznKlique
10-18-2006, 01:16 AM
I also recommend looking into using a Clay Bar on your car. Mothers brand is pretty good for that. Notice even after when you wash your car and you run your finger along your paint and still feel little small bumps everywhere? Well the Clay Bar basically makes your paint feel like glass again as if you had a new car. Obviously your paint should be in good condition, otherwise, why even bother detailing.

I did the same thing Slider did a year ago as well.

Wash (use only car wash soap)
Clay Bar
Paint Cleaner
Polish
Wax
Wax

It takes a long time to do all of this, but trust me, you will definitely notice a huge difference in the end.

Personally, I use Meguiars and Mothers brands, but there are a lot of other good stuff out there.

CelicaZ-R
10-18-2006, 01:32 AM
Well, when I bought the car, I took it to Toyota for a full diagnostics as my equipment has not arrived, I needed the car fully operational, anyway after the diag was done and minor repairs where made, It was taken to a professional valleting company... 218 later the Z-R looked like it had a brand new interior installed and a fresh coat of paint put on it... I have no idea what the hell they did, but DAMB!!! they did it well, since that, I have run the car through a car wash about 4 times... everytime 8.50 and that for a full hot wax wash (70deg cel foam water) and about 5 mins under the hot air jets to "Air dry dat mutha phuker", then I spend about 20mins with a vacuum cleaner and cloth with black-black plastic restorer gel on it...

As there is no chance for shite to build up, I have not had the need to fully detail her, as for my other car... that gets cleaned when it goes in for a service.

jakbauerctu
10-18-2006, 02:35 AM
aznkilque:
after you claybar you should wash again. I know it sounds anal, but its necessary. little bits of clay get stuck on the pain. If you use a sealant, the sealant will not work over the detailer(instant detailer=watered down wax) because sealants will never work when used on top of waxes.

jakbauerctu
10-18-2006, 02:39 AM
When I get a newer car I'm getting an orbital polisher, then I'll be really able to make it shine.

oooh. wish i had the cash for one of those. have you seen the porter cable? I've heard a lot of good stuff about it.

AznKlique
10-18-2006, 05:39 AM
aznkilque:
after you claybar you should wash again. I know it sounds anal, but its necessary. little bits of clay get stuck on the pain. If you use a sealant, the sealant will not work over the detailer(instant detailer=watered down wax) because sealants will never work when used on top of waxes.

Hmm...that sounds like a good idea. But doesnt the paint cleaner remove the old wax anyways? I guess it doesnt hurt to wash twice.

AznKlique
10-18-2006, 05:41 AM
Well, when I bought the car, I took it to Toyota for a full diagnostics as my equipment has not arrived, I needed the car fully operational, anyway after the diag was done and minor repairs where made, It was taken to a professional valleting company... 218 later the Z-R looked like it had a brand new interior installed and a fresh coat of paint put on it... I have no idea what the hell they did, but DAMB!!! they did it well, since that, I have run the car through a car wash about 4 times... everytime 8.50 and that for a full hot wax wash (70deg cel foam water) and about 5 mins under the hot air jets to "Air dry dat mutha phuker", then I spend about 20mins with a vacuum cleaner and cloth with black-black plastic restorer gel on it...

As there is no chance for shite to build up, I have not had the need to fully detail her, as for my other car... that gets cleaned when it goes in for a service.

You are absolutely right about having the car detailed by a shop. It does make a car look almost brand new, but it is costly like you said.

Slider
10-18-2006, 06:03 AM
oooh. wish i had the cash for one of those. have you seen the porter cable? I've heard a lot of good stuff about it.

Yup, that's the one I'm looking into. It goes for around $150, plus probably $50 for a set of pads and stuff. So $200 altogether. Meguairs has a rebadged version of it that's the same thing.

With the right pads and polish + wax it can really make the paint look amazing. Plus your arm won't be falling off after doing the whole car.

jakbauerctu
10-19-2006, 12:27 AM
so none of you use sealant? thats good stuff. its like a wax only it repels dust(instead of attracting) and it lasts a lot longer.

Slider
10-19-2006, 05:12 AM
No, I'm trying to use up my current car products before I buy new stuff.

For an awesome long lasting wax I'd really recommend this: http://www.ecocarcare.net/car-wax.php Another popular combo is Klasse AIO and topping it off with a nice carnauba wax to give it some depth and shine, since most sealants don't give you depth.

zmile06
11-01-2006, 01:16 PM
I had a buddy do my car when he finally got time. He polished and but some kind of german acrylic coat on it. The stuff cost 20 bucks a bottle so. It last about 6 months he said though. The car looked brand new! 3M fine cut polish is the stuff!

I also use meguires cleaner wax since my car still has some cleaning to go.

buffers are good but can tear the paint up if you arent careful.

Slider
11-01-2006, 05:01 PM
buffers are good but can tear the paint up if you arent careful.

That's the case with the rotary buffers. An orbital buffer is newbie friendly like this one (http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=2805) or this one (http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=2807). It would be really hard to mess the paint up with those. Porter cable makes some great orbital buffers.

A rotary buffer in the right hands with the right pads can do wonders for paint in bad condition and do it faster than an orbital. It is much easier to burn through the paint and cause marring in the wrong hands though. I would leave this to the pros or if you have a junker to practice on. Some dealerships are guilty of this, they try to detail cars and you can usually see tons of marring in the sunlight.

zmile06
11-01-2006, 11:35 PM
My friend has a porter cable, it goes up to like 9,000 RPMS maybe more. It does a great job, he also used a rotary buffer on my car. He only used the rotary buffer for rough spots like on a hood or a oil stain on a fender.

All i would say is have someone with knowledge detail your car EXTREAMLY WELL, then just up keep it. Maybe have him do it again in a couple years.