PDA

View Full Version : more gen3 3SGE questions

brusk
10-12-2006, 05:19 PM
What years were the gen3 engine available? I'm assuming its a OBDII engine. If I put it in my 92 GTS what is the better choice using an OBDI ecu or figuring out all the diff pieces from the OBDII. Any snags involved in using this engine that I should know before I try to find an engine.

BLADDER_MASTER
10-12-2006, 07:24 PM
On a Celica, they were available from 94-99. About the ODBII issue, I can't help you out there. But I know my 95 3S-GE isn't ODBII. Whatever year 3S-GE you get, use the ECU it comes with, unless you're getting a standalone ECU.

brusk
10-12-2006, 11:21 PM
On a Celica, they were available from 94-99. About the ODBII issue, I can't help you out there. But I know my 95 3S-GE isn't ODBII. Whatever year 3S-GE you get, use the ECU it comes with, unless you're getting a standalone ECU.

The main concern that I have there is most likely an OBDII will have a different wiring harness and definately more sensors such as a secondary O2 sometimes more emissions stuff like a vacuum sensor to make sure the gas tank always has vacuum. Stupid little things that I don't want to deal with. I already went through this headache with my CRX. So at least I know 94-95 they had the 3rd gen out so maybe they didn't have it OBDII by 96 which was the date cars had to be converted by (well at least in the US). I want the easiest swap I can do well and still get the power I need.

BLADDER_MASTER
10-13-2006, 04:11 AM
If you want the swap to be easy for you, then get a 2nd gen 3S-GE.

brusk
10-13-2006, 02:43 PM
If you want the swap to be easy for you, then get a 2nd gen 3S-GE.

What would be the difference between the two. Even if I got a 3rd gen and used the ECU of the 2nd gen. I don't need something real simple I'm just worried about extra parts I might need and might not be able to get my hands on.

BLADDER_MASTER
10-13-2006, 03:46 PM
You won't be able to use a 2nd gen 3S-GE ECU on a 3rd gen 3S-GE engine. A 2nd gen 3S-GE has a 3-plug ECU while the 3rd gen 3S-GE has a 4-plug ECU. Already that should tell you that you're gonna be dealing with more sensors and wires. But at the same time you'll find out that you won't need to worry about it because the extra plug deals with the engine, which when it comes down to swapping, you're not going to touch it. If you're worried about missing parts then get a front clip. Look, when I did my swap, I never once thought about any of the ODB crap. Only thing I worried about was matching up the body harness of the car to work with the harness from the engine. Because the engine comes from a 6th gen Celica, its different from my 5th gen Celica. Also, I never hear anybody complaining about the ODB# when they do 3S or 4A swaps. If you're still un-sure about things, here's some suggestions:

1. Do more research.
2. Buy a front clip, send your wiring harness to someone like Dr.Tweak, drop the engine into your car while your harness is in the mail, then just wait for the harness to get back so you could plug everything in and have the car running.
3. Get a 2nd gen 3S-GE. Little less power, but you'll notice that the wiring will be easier since it'll coincide with your cars wiring and wiring colors.
4. After you do extensive research, get a 3rd gen 3S-GE engine set, and do the swap yourself.

Also another tip, if you want an idea of what you might go through dealing with the wiring on a 3rd gen 3S-GE, look for people who have done 3rd gen 3S-GTE swaps onto their 5th gen Celica's. A lot of the process is the same, but with some differences.

Edit: Read this too - http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6359

brusk
10-13-2006, 07:52 PM
You won't be able to use a 2nd gen 3S-GE ECU on a 3rd gen 3S-GE engine. A 2nd gen 3S-GE has a 3-plug ECU while the 3rd gen 3S-GE has a 4-plug ECU. Already that should tell you that you're gonna be dealing with more sensors and wires. But at the same time you'll find out that you won't need to worry about it because the extra plug deals with the engine, which when it comes down to swapping, you're not going to touch it. If you're worried about missing parts then get a front clip. Look, when I did my swap, I never once thought about any of the ODB crap. Only thing I worried about was matching up the body harness of the car to work with the harness from the engine. Because the engine comes from a 6th gen Celica, its different from my 5th gen Celica. Also, I never hear anybody complaining about the ODB# when they do 3S or 4A swaps. If you're still un-sure about things, here's some suggestions:

1. Do more research.
2. Buy a front clip, send your wiring harness to someone like Dr.Tweak, drop the engine into your car while your harness is in the mail, then just wait for the harness to get back so you could plug everything in and have the car running.
3. Get a 2nd gen 3S-GE. Little less power, but you'll notice that the wiring will be easier since it'll coincide with your cars wiring and wiring colors.
4. After you do extensive research, get a 3rd gen 3S-GE engine set, and do the swap yourself.

Also another tip, if you want an idea of what you might go through dealing with the wiring on a 3rd gen 3S-GE, look for people who have done 3rd gen 3S-GTE swaps onto their 5th gen Celica's. A lot of the process is the same, but with some differences.

Edit: Read this too - http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6359

The wiring doesn't scare me I've already done several complete harnesss for 4A's in Corollas and MR2s. Yeah the front clip would be the best bet but completely unnescessary. I'm assuming the same kind of things that I ran into with the 4A stuff. I could use a 2nd gen ecu on a 3rd as long as I used the ecu and harness were compatible. I was thinking about just using my existing 5S harness and adding any extra wires if there were any. Things I'm worried about for example are like my D16Y8 (2000 Civic EX) engine into my CRX ended up with quite a few emissions control pieces that I didn't have then I added and found out some of them still wouldn't work correctly. I guess if I can find the ECU pinouts from the gen 3 that would help. Is that on the website anywhere?

BLADDER_MASTER
10-13-2006, 10:48 PM
Open up the ECU and you'll find the pinouts.