PDA

View Full Version : Quick question

shammyinz
10-11-2006, 05:22 AM
Hey, im going to be purchasing a 2000-2005 Celica GT-S/GT and I was just wonder what the best year for the Celica is... I want it to be factory quick, but also have room for a lot of upgrades, any suggestions would be great! Thanks for the help :bowdown:

Murgatroy
10-11-2006, 10:32 AM
GT-S for sure.

It had the better engine in it as well as available 6 speed.

Most folks prefer the `00-`03 as it was easier to modify and had less issues.

burnyd
10-11-2006, 10:35 AM
if your looking to buy a car put bolt ons on it make it reliable and decently fast like 14ish fast a gts is best for you its a 180hp high compression motor. But obisouly it goes for more money than the gt.

aballz
10-11-2006, 09:51 PM
Definetely go for the 2000-2002 so that you have a higher fuel cut-off point.

davmac
10-13-2006, 10:51 PM
Yep - the GTS in those years. Unique look, great handling and more than adequate power out of the box.

BLADDER_MASTER
10-14-2006, 07:12 AM

2002 models were the ones that had the lower fuel cut.

Fuelish
10-14-2006, 08:04 PM
I thought the "modding" problems came with the throttle-by-"wire, " as opposed to throttle-by-cable-oldschool.....or am I thinking of the Corollas (but, the final gen Celis shared parts with the Corollas, no ?? 'rolla XRS engine/tranny are same (detuned, perhaps) as the Celi GTS, I thought... I think Corollas went dbw in '05...i think...)
Dunno, just taking a stab at it ;)

Ricksta
10-15-2006, 06:11 AM
and I was just wonder what the best year for the Celica is...

the best years of celica you ask?!?! well here you go they are anywhere in between 90-93 were celica's best years, instead of spending ten grand on a 7th gen hunk of crap why dont you spend 10 grand on a 13 year old work of art with enough mods to get you into the low 13's.....
http://i9.tinypic.com/2rc2zgg.jpg
http://i10.tinypic.com/2m32rus.jpg

burnyd
10-15-2006, 06:24 AM
It takes alot more than a couple of grand to get an alltrac in the low 13s...There heavy as all hell... I could get you into low 13s with a grand in an mr2 :D

But if its your only car and you want reliability than a 7th gen gt is good... gts's had their fare share of recalls. But if you want reliability and something newer 7k is a great deal for a GT

Ricksta
10-15-2006, 07:05 AM
It takes alot more than a couple of grand to get an alltrac in the low 13s...There heavy as all hell... I could get you into low 13s with a grand in an mr2 :D

But if its your only car and you want reliability than a 7th gen gt is good... gts's had their fare share of recalls. But if you want reliability and something newer 7k is a great deal for a GT

precision t3/t4 60 trim > ct20b

you shall lose my friend

MCcelica
10-15-2006, 07:49 AM

We've had this conversation before rickie. Stock 7th gen GT-S >Stock Alltrac because of the weight of the AT.

Ricksta
10-15-2006, 07:54 AM
Fucking Ricky!!!!!! Ok!?!? Ricky!!!!!!!! Spell The Shit Right Or Dont Say It All!

Ricksta
10-15-2006, 07:54 AM
with ten grand his alltrac wouldnt be stock. im sure he'd have a few mods to it. doesnt mean we cant talk him into an mr2 either ya know...

burnyd
10-15-2006, 08:18 AM
precision t3/t4 60 trim > ct20b

you shall lose my friend

WHY? Can you explain to me why... please enlighten me. For a Motor I dont want to go ahead and blow up with tons of boost and alot of fuel.. explain to me why?

Cavanagh
10-15-2006, 09:41 AM
MR2 FTMFW! If you wanna go fast, and not use alot of mods. im sorrry, but the MR2 is deff. the way to go for sure. BUT if you must go celica...All-Tracs are heavy....take a 7th gen gt-s. Those w/ the 6 spd i think are sweeet.

brusk
10-15-2006, 03:33 PM
Depending on what you want the GTS is really nice. There is a reason why they lowered the fuel cutoff though alot of bent valves from people missing shifts. I've seen 3 sitting in the back of toyota a few years ago when a buddy worked at a dealership. Not much available for the GTS though (at least last year when I looked into it) most magazines suggested getting a 1ZZ and a supercharger. I've even seen this suggestion on somebody asking advice on their brand new Lotus Elise (same engine) they suggested to pull the engine bag it put it in the corner and get on ebay to buy a 1ZZ and a TRD supercharger. It just depends on what you want out of it. I/H/E you should get 14.7-15.0 depending on the year you get.

MCcelica
10-15-2006, 03:46 PM
Fucking Ricky!!!!!! Ok!?!? Ricky!!!!!!!! Spell The Shit Right Or Dont Say It All!

stfu rickie. I'll spell it however the hell I want. BTW this isn't your name thread so stfu about it. I've got a phone here for ya, call someone who cares. Or maybe I just might use it to call you a WAAAAAMBULANCE cause you cry so much.

Personally shammyins, I dig the 7th gens. I also love my 6th gen, which has a TON of room under the hood:hehe: Bottom line is you're the one buying it, none of these guys are, so if it's for you, it's for you. Also, if you're going to be around long, never do what rickIE says.

ciento44
10-15-2006, 04:20 PM
Depending on what you want the GTS is really nice. There is a reason why they lowered the fuel cutoff though alot of bent valves from people missing shifts. I've seen 3 sitting in the back of toyota a few years ago when a buddy worked at a dealership. Not much available for the GTS though (at least last year when I looked into it) most magazines suggested getting a 1ZZ and a supercharger. I've even seen this suggestion on somebody asking advice on their brand new Lotus Elise (same engine) they suggested to pull the engine bag it put it in the corner and get on ebay to buy a 1ZZ and a TRD supercharger. It just depends on what you want out of it. I/H/E you should get 14.7-15.0 depending on the year you get.

There are now turbo kits for both engines, the 2zz, and the 1zz. The 1zz is the engine in the GT, and has a pretty low compression. I would suggest the GT for that reason if you're going to go with a turbo. If you want a supercharger, and a nasty all around engine, go with the GTS.

2zz + supercharger = sex.

Cavanagh
10-16-2006, 02:23 AM
and Turbo+2zz=BOOM! :hehe:

ciento44
10-16-2006, 02:29 AM
and Turbo+2zz=BOOM! :hehe:

Nah... not of it's done right... but usually, yes.

I know there's a member on here that also has a MKiv Supra that built his 2zz, and will be pushing around 400whp if i remember correctly.

shammyinz
10-17-2006, 12:13 AM
So gt = turboed and gts = supercharged basically?

GlHlOST
10-17-2006, 12:54 AM
lol thats what Im gettin from this thread

T-spoon
10-17-2006, 06:43 PM
BTW, if you want to stick the TRD supercharger on a celica or MRS it is NOT a direct fit. You may need to do some fabbing and you'll have to chuck the install kit completely, you'll need engine managment. It's a custom setup. That supercharger was made for corollas and matrix.

Trance4c
10-17-2006, 08:04 PM
stfu rickie. I'll spell it however the hell I want. BTW this isn't your name thread so stfu about it. I've got a phone here for ya, call someone who cares. Or maybe I just might use it to call you a WAAAAAMBULANCE cause you cry so much.

bwahahahaha OMG!! OMG!!

:popcorn: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Fuelish
10-17-2006, 08:08 PM
That supercharger was made for corollas and matrix. And it's for pre-'05's, no ?? I was led to believe that the '05+ 'Rollas didn't have the supercharger available because of the electronic throttle, as opposed to the pre-'05's, which ran by cable. .....don't quote me on that, though...I dunno...heh

CelicaZ-R
10-17-2006, 08:14 PM
http://i9.tinypic.com/2rc2zgg.jpg

That Celi is sexy as hell!!!

GlHlOST
10-17-2006, 08:15 PM
hey Rickie... is that a side marker on the side of that thing??? cuz if it is... it shouldnt be there.

ciento44
10-17-2006, 08:21 PM
hey Rickie... is that a side marker on the side of that thing??? cuz if it is... it shouldnt be there.

It's going for the JDM look... They had them in the Euro/asia markets i think.

GlHlOST
10-17-2006, 08:25 PM
I dont like it... just an opinion

MCcelica
10-17-2006, 11:38 PM
The red one behind it has one too but it's blacked out. It'd be better if the black one had the side marker blacked out too IMO, but alas, ciento is correct. It's JDM yo.

GlHlOST
10-17-2006, 11:44 PM
yea it looks better blacked out

burnyd
10-18-2006, 04:54 AM
Nah... not of it's done right... but usually, yes.

I know there's a member on here that also has a MKiv Supra that built his 2zz, and will be pushing around 400whp if i remember correctly.

ahh on a stock motor... I forget what the compression is but turbo that and high boost = blows up.... Its a pretty high compression motor though I forget what the compression is... but I believe it says in te user manual 93 octane gas only?

burnyd
10-18-2006, 04:58 AM
with ten grand his alltrac wouldnt be stock. im sure he'd have a few mods to it. doesnt mean we cant talk him into an mr2 either ya know...

Im still waiting for a good answer to why you think your going to beat me on a stock fuel system on that t3/t4 turbo and a shitty tune with that piggy back???? Still waiting for a reason... and from someone who has never seen the track one day in his life.

ciento44
10-18-2006, 06:43 AM
ahh on a stock motor... I forget what the compression is but turbo that and high boost = blows up.... Its a pretty high compression motor though I forget what the compression is... but I believe it says in te user manual 93 octane gas only?

Nah, definitely not a stock motor... i have seen a few examples around 300whp with stock motor and turbo, though.

I *think* the compression is something like 12:1...

And yes.... 93 only.

burnyd
10-18-2006, 07:42 AM
^^ Yes that rediculous.....

And on a side note ricky I would love to drive down to florida to shove that 400hp up your ass....

and to meet clay.... because he is hella cool....

the end

T-spoon
10-18-2006, 06:25 PM
And it's for pre-'05's, no ?? I was led to believe that the '05+ 'Rollas didn't have the supercharger available because of the electronic throttle, as opposed to the pre-'05's, which ran by cable. .....don't quote me on that, though...I dunno...heh

Correct, the piggy-back tuning with the TRD chargers is year specific, even when the engine is mostly unchanged.