PDA

View Full Version : Why not wash in sunlight?

sundiego
10-09-2006, 09:25 PM
Hey All,
Forgive me if this is a stupid question. I just bought a 93 vert and will admit that until I bought this car, the car wash was the $5 add on at the gas station. Of course with the soft top this isn't an option. So it looks like a quick hand wash is the price I will pay for smiling with the top down everyday.

So here's my question: why shouldn't I wash my car in direct sunlight? I am not a fanatic about detailing and such, but want my car to look presentable, so if there are any other absolutes or rules of thumb you care to pass along, I appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Chris
San Diego
93 vert

TheNefariousOne
10-10-2006, 12:26 AM
I do, but you have to make sure you only wash small areas and then rinse, and keep the car wet so you won't get dried up soap or water spots. Also make sure you finish with a light rinse so the water sheets off the car...it will dry a lot better that way.

schmooot
10-10-2006, 02:35 AM
the sun will bake the soap into your finish before you have a chance to rinse....there could be other reasons too but that the one I've heard

Luni
10-10-2006, 06:03 AM
Thats it. You dont want the soapy water drying on your paint which is likely to happen if you wash in direct sun.

T-spoon
10-11-2006, 06:34 PM
Also each drop of water acts like a miniature magnifying lense and focuses the light like a laser. It cuts through the clearcoat in about 10 minutes and then your paint bakes from normal every day driving.

Actually I just made that up. :squint:

Trance4c
10-11-2006, 06:38 PM
Wash in the rain.. its fun ;)

jakbauerctu
10-11-2006, 07:00 PM
it saves money on the water bill too, but you have to work quickly!

sundiego
10-12-2006, 06:13 PM

Good answer, except it rains twice a year here. That would be one dusty ride!

Also each drop of water acts like a miniature magnifying lense and focuses the light like a laser. It cuts through the clearcoat in about 10 minutes and then your paint bakes from normal every day driving.

Actually I just made that up.

You had me going. Sounds like it should be right.

Slider
10-12-2006, 06:40 PM

As long as you rinse it off afterwards. I'm not sure what kind of stuff the rain picks up on its way from the sky with all the pullution and stuff.

jakbauerctu
10-13-2006, 02:25 AM
^^ good point, I didnt think of that.

GT4SOM
10-16-2006, 03:26 AM
Washing in the sun isn't very good if you take too long to rinse the soap, as stated before you will have watermarks and soap spots on there. Unless you have a nice water softening system. That allows you to rinse and literally not have to dry it without the worry of water spots.