PDA

View Full Version : Help! door won't unlock with alarm

celenium
01-19-2005, 08:36 PM
My battery went out the other day due to leaving lights on and ever since I revived it, the door does not unlock with the viper keyless entry remote. I have viper alarm(it's a basic alarm, same as any standard alarm out there). when i enable my alarm, the door locks with it but it when i press again to disable alarm, the door does not unlock like it did before.
I do remember unlockign door and locking with the key repeatedly in one situation.

do you know why this is happening?
can't go back to shop because the shop closed

david in germany
01-19-2005, 08:54 PM
It sounds to me llike a bad contact on the alarm to door lock servo. Only option is to check the wires where they connect. if the connections are good you can reverse the connections (aftermarket servos) to see if it works then. if not the servo may be bad.
David

sgtmayhem4
01-19-2005, 11:36 PM
mine doesnt unlock the driver's side door only when it's really cold outside....weird. good thing i'm in new orleans

EVILGUITARPLAYER
01-19-2005, 11:42 PM
my corolla w/ the factory alarm once in a great while wont unlock when i hit the button and toyota couldnt find out what was wrong with it but when i unlocked the front passenger door it reset the alarm system i guess and it worked after that it was weird

Rich

Doc
01-20-2005, 12:15 AM
Mine randomly has this problem (once a month at most). Locks fine, but *beep*beep* still locked.

I just crawl in through the hatch but its rare enough to be more fun than bothersome. No clue in your case, though, sorry!

Galcobar
01-20-2005, 12:26 AM
I've got a Clifford, and letting the battery go dead can do strange things to it. Sometimes (I kill my battery far more often that I can explain) the alarm will simply not reactivate. Valet switch, even the on/off switch on the alarm brain does nothing.

If none of the other solutions have worked, try turning your alarm off, disconnecting the negative terminal of your battery for about a minute, then turning the alarm back on. It might just be a software glitch caused by the power loss, and rebooting it might fix it...

Playfortoday
01-20-2005, 02:54 AM
Will the door lock switch itself unluck the door when you press it without using the alarm remote?

celenium
01-26-2005, 04:08 AM
Galcobar: I don't know how to turn off the alarm

Will the door lock switch itself unluck the door when you press it without using the alarm remote?

yes it will. one time I was trying out the remote programming which did not work it told me to press unlock and removing key but pressing the unlock button on the center console with the ignition key out did not work while the lock button worked. once i put the key in and turned to on the button worked.

celenium
02-06-2005, 10:04 PM
i neen someone's help soon
I noticed that even though the door automatically locks when u set the kery in the ignition to on position, the door does not unlock back when it's in off position. this is what is causing the doors to no unlock when i deactrivate alarm

Galcobar
02-09-2005, 08:00 AM
On the auto door locks -- my Celica has a lot of nice little features with its power door locks. If you unlock the passenger side door, the driver side door also unlocks. If you twist the key in the driver side lock twice to unlock, the passenger side unlocks.

What you're describing I've never encountered, however. My Celica will unlock the doors if, when the key is in the ignition in any position, you try to lock with the doors open. Judging by what you've described (an unlock button on the centre console, autolocks when the ignition is turned to ON) I'm guessing you've got a different generation than mine, or else your alarm was wired in a little more thoroughly than mine. It's actually just because of this sort situation I declined the remote door locks or starter. BTW, no autolocks system will unlock the door just because you turned the car off. The whole idea is that safety is greater with locked doors -- thus locking them when the car is turned on is safer, since it's expected with the car on you will be driving it.

Suggestion -- include your year, model and trim in your profile, and your post when asking a question.

As for turning the alarm off, if it's anything like most alarms you would have been given a key of some sort after it was installed. Find the head unit for the alarm -- probably somewhere relatively visible and cool in your engine bay, likely near the firewall -- and use the key to turn the alarm off completely. Possibly it's just a switch on the head unit, if it's a really cheap alarm. If you have neither, then it's just a matter of using your remote to deactivate the alarm.

Then you can try getting it to reset by temporarily unhooking the negative battery cable. This may cause a reset so complete that you'll have to program in your remotes as well, so make sure you have some time available.

I am confused by your last posts, however. Are you saying the keyless entry remote can only unlock your doors if the key is already in the ignition and turned to ON?

In the meantime, relax. Your alarm works to keep your car safe, and if you have to use your key to unlock your doors, no big deal. As long as your alarm isn't keeping you from using your car, there's no need to be too worried.

Actually, just had a thought. Maybe you can't take it back to the shop where you had it installed, but if it's still under factory warrenty any Viper dealer should be able to do warrenty work on it. Have you tried contacting Viper to 1) ask them about the problem and 2) get a local service centre's address?

Playfortoday
02-09-2005, 01:58 PM
DEI products carry a limetime warranty.

Demz
02-10-2005, 05:54 AM
something similar to this happened to my friends stratus. he blew a fuse i think was label "interior accesories" or something like that. so checking every fuse would be the first thing i would think of

celenium
02-26-2005, 07:15 PM
something similar to this happened to my friends stratus. he blew a fuse i think was label "interior accesories" or something like that. so checking every fuse would be the first thing i would think of

thanks for all your help.

I have a 2000 celica.
before the problem happened. when i rotate the key in the ignition to 'on' the door locks and when i rotate it to off to take out my key the door unlocked automatically. now the door locks when it is on 'on' but when i rotate to 'off' it does not unlock back.

with the alarm remote, similar scenario. when it is alarmed, the door locks but when i press button again to unalarm, the door does not unlock back. so it got me to think it is not due to the alarm but due to a problem with the autolock feature on the car.

celenium
03-11-2005, 07:34 PM
the alarm engages and disengages with remote but doors does not unlock with the disengaging of alarm eventhough it locks when i engage the alarm .
someone mentioned about rebooting the alarm. how can i do this?
I also found the fuse box under the hood but everything is fine.
i think the problem is not the alarm itself but a problems with the automatic lock/unlock feature (when u turn on the ignition with the key in it, the door automatically locks and then when u set the key to off position the door unlocks back). the problem I have is that the door although auto locks, does not unlock back.
I am able to lock and unlock the door with the center console button though.
the shop i got it from closed down.

so i have been resorting to disengaging the alarm with remote then opening the door with key.

any help is appreciated

Doc
03-25-2005, 05:23 PM
have you tried to contact the dealer that installed your alarm? If they're honorable they will probaby repair the problem if was their fault or if its still under warrenty.