PDA

View Full Version : Progress on the Hybrid

Hotwheelharmer
01-19-2005, 07:52 PM
The weather wasn't perfect today but there were no clouds, sun out and it was warm enough (mid 40's) for me to go do some work on the Celica. In the picture you can see what I have done. I got the 20R head bolted up along with the sidedrafts, power steering pump and dizzy. the thing that sucks is that was the easy stuff. Now I have to do the little things like hook up my electric fuel pump and run lines figure out my vacuum lines, clean up the engine bay and a few other detail things. It is really starting to come along pretty nice though.

http://www.classic-celica.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Harmers-81GT&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

torpedan
01-21-2005, 04:56 AM
The weather wasn't perfect today but there were no clouds, sun out and it was warm enough (mid 40's) for me to go do some work on the Celica. In the picture you can see what I have done. I got the 20R head bolted up along with the sidedrafts, power steering pump and dizzy. the thing that sucks is that was the easy stuff. Now I have to do the little things like hook up my electric fuel pump and run lines figure out my vacuum lines, clean up the engine bay and a few other detail things. It is really starting to come along pretty nice though.

http://www.classic-celica.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Harmers-81GT&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Awesome stuff.

Is the 20r head still stock? (sorry have to ask i just joined and have yet to look into any older threads)

Hotwheelharmer
01-23-2005, 02:09 PM
Awesome stuff.

Is the 20r head still stock? (sorry have to ask i just joined and have yet to look into any older threads)

The head is gasket matched ported and polished, polished combustion chambers, 1mm oversize valves, TRD stage 2 cam(272 .430" intake, 282 .444" exhaust), aluminum rockers and LC engineering valve springs. I have also port matched the intake manifold and the block is basically stock but is bored .040" over with Toyota pistons but only has 1000 miles on it. The carbs are weber 40mm DCOE's.

torpedan
01-23-2005, 10:19 PM
The head is gasket matched ported and polished, polished combustion chambers, 1mm oversize valves, TRD stage 2 cam(272 .430" intake, 282 .444" exhaust), aluminum rockers and LC engineering valve springs. I have also port matched the intake manifold and the block is basically stock but is bored .040" over with Toyota pistons but only has 1000 miles on it. The carbs are weber 40mm DCOE's.

Good stuff, what were you going to be doing exsaust side?

Hotwheelharmer
01-24-2005, 12:21 AM
for the exhaust I have a pre tri y Doug Thorley header and that is all I plan on using. Since I am in Kansas I don't have to get any emissions checks at all so I can run open header. It is stil illegal but I ran like that before I built the hybrid and never got pulled over.

torpedan
01-24-2005, 02:13 AM
for the exhaust I have a pre tri y Doug Thorley header and that is all I plan on using. Since I am in Kansas I don't have to get any emissions checks at all so I can run open header. It is stil illegal but I ran like that before I built the hybrid and never got pulled over.

Wish i had the option to take more liberties where emmisions are concerd. The car is old enough that within 1 year it will not need to go threw a emissions test but all emission items must remain in place and pass a visual inspection.

Seems most items i stuble across as well as articles are geared twoards trucks and the associated power band one would consider ideal for rock crawling. Are the TRD cams for the R series motor or were they designed with the celica in mind?

Hotwheelharmer
01-24-2005, 12:13 PM
The TRD cams are just made for the R series engine. They are actually crane cams sold by TRD. Infact mine had the TRD number and the crane part number on it.

torpedan
01-25-2005, 02:20 AM
The TRD cams are just made for the R series engine. They are actually crane cams sold by TRD. Infact mine had the TRD number and the crane part number on it.

Hahahaha thats interesting. I take it its cheaper to get them under the crane name as well.

Hotwheelharmer
01-25-2005, 12:10 PM
Actually for me it was cheaper for me to get the TRD cam because my dad is a parts manager at a Toyota dealership so I get parts cheaper. I don't know how much the crane cam is though. I know you can probably get the TRD one for a little over 100 bucks.

torpedan
01-27-2005, 02:15 AM
Actually for me it was cheaper for me to get the TRD cam because my dad is a parts manager at a Toyota dealership so I get parts cheaper. I don't know how much the crane cam is though. I know you can probably get the TRD one for a little over 100 bucks.

Now for my final inquery prod what are you doing exsaust system wise :)

Hotwheelharmer
01-27-2005, 12:10 PM
Now for my final inquery prod what are you doing exsaust system wise :)

You already asked me that. I am running open header.

torpedan
01-28-2005, 01:48 AM
You already asked me that. I am running open header.
Once again proving why one should not post while being drunk.

Hotwheelharmer
02-25-2005, 09:39 PM
Well I got the last part I needed from UPS today. That would be my LC Engineering pro distributor and since weather is just totally great right now I put it in. Now all I have left to do is wire up my fuel pump, MSD 6A and the distributor and then get a return spring on my throttle and I will be ready to start the hybrid up. I am hoping I will get all the wiring done tommorow. I took a picture of my distributor and a whole engine shot of it right now.

Hotwheelharmer
03-04-2005, 08:47 PM
Well I got the Hybrid running today. It is really really great. I have the timing set and the valves adjusted but I need to tune the carb still which I think I wont be able to do until I get it on a dyno. I did test drive it a little bit and I can't beleive the amount of power increase I can feel with it. Those sidedrafts provide so much more torque at the low end and that 20R gives me a much better power band. With my pre hybrid setup I could make a turn using the throttle but it took quite a bit of the throttle to do that and that was even with the LSD and 3.9. Now with the same rear end but with the hybrid and sidedrafts I don't need that much throttle to get me sideways. I can also get a lot better 2nd gear scratch and wiggle the rear end. Right now it is open header and it just sounds completely wonderful. When the throttle gets opened those webers sound so sexy. I am got a lot of looks on the test drive. I do need to put in a 180 degree thermostat though. I have a 160 in it right now and the thing is running way too cool. The temp gauge barely moves. However the thermostat and the carb tuning is the only thing I need to get it running great. I think with the carbs tuned I will have a low 16's high 15 second car. The tires I have right now are 215/60/R14 Firestone Firehawk Indy's which aren't crappy tires but probably not the best for traction at the track. I am thinking about getting some lightweight rims and some very sticky tires for the track and I think with that I should be able to get into the mid 15's. For those who don't know this is my setup now:

22R bottom end bored .040 over with Toyota pistons and the rest is stock
20R head gasket matched port and polish, 1mm oversize valves, LC engineering valve springs, TRD stage 2 cam, Toyota aluminum rockers,
Cannon long runner sidedraft manifold port matched, twin weber DCOE 40mm's, K&N air filters, pre tri-y doug thorley header, 2.5" straight exhaust(mo muffler), stock tranny, flywheel and clutch, 3.9 ring and pinion and AE86 LSD. I have also removed the complete AC and heater system(this includes all the ducting and everything), relocated battery to the trunk and relocated oil filter.

I have made a video of the motor idling but my computer runs 56K AOL and the video is like 3 MB's so I put the video on CD and am going down to my girlfriends college where she has DSL so I will upload it there so be looking for the video.

Hotwheelharmer
03-05-2005, 05:35 AM
Well I took a littl video of my hybrid running. It is crappy as I am moving the camera too much but I did it really so you could hear my hybrid running at idle. Remember in this video my carbs are untuned and I am running open header. http://www.classic-celica.com/albums/videos/Hybrid_Running.wmv