PDA

View Full Version : What would you like made for our cars?

KoreanJoey
10-07-2006, 01:03 AM
Ok guys, I'm having a hell of a time trying to figure out what a good marketable item for you guys. Tell me, what manufactured goods would you like to see on the market for the ST184 and ST185 (since those the only cars I have to work with).

ciento44
10-07-2006, 01:18 AM
Obviously sway bars other than Whiteline if possible, including braces.

And a good set of shocks that wouldn't require modification to fit in the rears. :)

Adjustable is always good, but not a necessity.

Engine mounts as well, but i'm sure there's already something out there for that.

GlHlOST
10-07-2006, 01:19 AM
hey, make a side mount W2W IC

FMIC piping is a bIish if turbo isn't clocked

KoreanJoey
10-07-2006, 01:24 AM
Obviously sway bars other than Whiteline if possible, including braces.

And a good set of shocks that wouldn't require modification to fit in the rears. :)

Adjustable is always good, but not a necessity.

Engine mounts as well, but i'm sure there's already something out there for that.

As to shocks that fit in the rear... well... that's a bit of a tough one because of the fact that we have a sealed McPherson strut design. Best bet is modifying the current strut to accept cartridges but there are already companies doing it. Might be something we can do cheaper if you're really interested find out what others are charging and I'll see if I can do it cheaper.

ciento44
10-07-2006, 01:29 AM
Cool, i'll do some research on that.

I'd do it myself, but i'm really not that good of a mechanic, and messing around with stuff like that kindof scares me. I won't hesitate to take a soldering iron to a motherboard, but cars are another entirely different matter. :)

gt lifthback
10-11-2006, 05:25 AM
we need some taillights, nothing too crazy something new

KoreanJoey
10-11-2006, 05:53 AM
Sorry I guess I should specify, what I meant was things mechanical. Taillights and whatnot can come later but mechanical go fast equipment is first on the agenda.

Denver_whiteST185
10-11-2006, 07:33 AM
weight reduction peices? and please for the love of god, don't make "euro" tail lights.

you know what would be cool, some hella horn conversion kits so my horns can make ears bleed :evfinger:

KoreanJoey
10-11-2006, 07:40 AM
... again... more manufacturing than anything. Probably Hi-rise headers, custom downpipes ECT. Further down the line would like to get into custom lower control arms (front and rear) with adjustability, camber plates ECT. Chassis stiffening (sway bars, underbody braces, roll cages) can even go as far as making custom bellhousings for different transmissions, engine mount kits, ect.

Denver_whiteST185
10-11-2006, 08:58 AM
beefier control arms would be good. Im for anything that will help with cooling and handling.
BTW, weight reduction ment manufacuturing something that already exists on the car with a lighter material like aluminum. simple, yet efective.

heres a few more ideas:

a bolt on oil filter relocation and oil cooler kit with a thermostat would be killer.

a kit that will bolt up to the stock tranny cooler lines to replace it with new lines and a more effecent cooler.

engine dampener (im making one soon)

A turbo clockdown bracket (i think i remember someone making one, but im not sure)

polished heatsheilds that will bolt to a CT series turbo. polished cooling panels.

Aluminum skid plates (someone TRIED to get rally armor to make a set, but that failed)

BTW, the hella horns were a joke, but it would be cool to have.

KoreanJoey
10-11-2006, 09:43 AM
Hey thanks for your suggestions, that's exactly what I was looking for from this thread. Please come back with new ones whenever you get the chance. We were already looking at the heat shielding as an idea and it's great to find that there is an aftermarket for them.

Murgatroy
10-11-2006, 09:48 AM
beefier control arms would be good. Im for anything that will help with cooling and handling.
BTW, weight reduction ment manufacuturing something that already exists on the car with a lighter material like aluminum. simple, yet efective.

heres a few more ideas:

a bolt on oil filter relocation and oil cooler kit with a thermostat would be killer.

a kit that will bolt up to the stock tranny cooler lines to replace it with new lines and a more effecent cooler.

engine dampener (im making one soon)

A turbo clockdown bracket (i think i remember someone making one, but im not sure)

polished heatsheilds that will bolt to a CT series turbo. polished cooling panels.

Aluminum skid plates (someone TRIED to get rally armor to make a set, but that failed)

BTW, the hella horns were a joke, but it would be cool to have.

A lot of the parts mentioned above (not just by you, but others as well) are readily available. Just because something is not labeled as Celica specific doesn't mean it can't fit with little to no modification.

There are more than just Whiteline swaybars out there. Search and you will find the Suspension Techniques makes a set.

Bulletproof Automotive sells chassis braces, subframe braces and I believe they have a skidplate too.

Almost any oil filter relocation kit will bolt on and allow an added inline oil cooler, same goes for the transmission cooler.

ViS make lightwieght replacement fenders and hoods (fiberglass and carbon fiber respectively.)

As for weight reduction, remove your AC, interior, power windows, stereo system and unneeded accessories and you would be amazed at how much weight you can lose.

Adrian is working on a suspension, and he has modified his own to accept cartidges/inserts by using a set of front housings modified to fit the rear. As mentioned there is also a company that is manufacturing them now as well (at over $400 a pop.)

Tweak can clock a turbo (he has on most of his swaps.)

I would like to see an all inclusive bushing kit, all inclusive suspension upgrade kits (different stages would be sweet,) and other suspension goodies.

Nate (BiscuitWheels) has been working on headers and bolt on turbo packages.

Maybe if all the folks who were trying to create new parts were to get together and brainstorm, they could fill the gaps between one another and really produce some serious products that the common Celica owner would be able to afford.

And no, we don't need any lights, bodykits or wings.

I would like to see some brakes myself...

1990CelicaGT-S
10-11-2006, 10:19 AM
It would be cool to see an aftermarket intake manifold. I have a lot more ideas, they just wont come to mind now.

2kSnakEater
10-11-2006, 03:15 PM
I would sell my left nut for an awd 6spd tranny for the ST185

ciento44
10-11-2006, 03:19 PM
I'd like a bellhousing for the tranny from the MKiv TT supra that will fit under a 1st gen. :)

cms-gt4
10-11-2006, 03:25 PM
An affordable clock down bracket would be nice.

A brake cooling duct kit.

Lighter lower a-arms with caster adjustment or at least some caster bushings.

Solid poly or better designed stronger tie rod ends.

Thats all I got for now.

KoreanJoey
10-11-2006, 05:22 PM
An affordable clock down bracket would be nice.

See that's the main thing... affordable that's what you DON'T see for our cars. We know that these things can be produced for less. We know a lot of the things bought by bulletproof coming from Japan are things we can just as well produce here. I've been fortunate enough to have made friends with a machine shop up here in the area that's done a HUGE amount of work. I'm talking everything from parts for Boeing, Lockheed, Sikorsky, ECT. Pretty much they can mass produce anything, I just need ideas. Parts that have a market.

cms-gt4
10-11-2006, 06:18 PM
Well the current clock down bracket is from the UK and costs over 80 usd. I am sure someone can do something for half that cost and still have a market. I no longer need one since I have the 205 IC, but I may in the future.

GlHlOST
10-11-2006, 07:28 PM
6 spd tranny for 3sgte FTW!!!!!!!!!

KoreanJoey
10-11-2006, 07:57 PM
6 spd tranny for 3sgte FTW!!!!!!!!!

Ok while we can make an adaptor bellhousing for the 6spd 7th gen trannies I'm not sure that those trannies will be able to hold up to the extra torque that a 3SGTE makes. I've heard of those transmissions being problematic and would rather stick with parts that can be relied upon by themselves or mated to a proven mechanism.

Murgatroy
10-11-2006, 08:07 PM
Why does everyone want a 6-speed?

Is it just the ability of saying you have a 6 speed?

KoreanJoey
10-11-2006, 08:20 PM
Well it'd be nice to drive down the freeway and be under 3500RPM... the car is kinda loud.

Denver_whiteST185
10-11-2006, 08:22 PM
A lot of the parts mentioned above (not just by you, but others as well) are readily available. Just because something is not labeled as Celica specific doesn't mean it can't fit with little to no modification.

There are more than just Whiteline swaybars out there. Search and you will find the Suspension Techniques makes a set.

Bulletproof Automotive sells chassis braces, subframe braces and I believe they have a skidplate too.

if they did have one, the only ones ive seen are for ST205's. heres a pic off an EVO to show what im talking about about
http://www.bulletproofautomotive.com/items/beatrush%20underpanel.jpg

Almost any oil filter relocation kit will bolt on and allow an added inline oil cooler, same goes for the transmission cooler.

As for weight reduction, remove your AC, interior, power windows, stereo system and unneeded accessories and you would be amazed at how much weight you can lose.

i know i can go buy componanats, but im not sure which screw on adapter ill need? a kit with a screw on adapter and a oil filter adapter for a nice sized oil filter would be really usefull.

im removing my A/C in a few weeks, but people who daily drive their cars like me want to keep their interior and ther stereo. power windows -> manual windows only cuts down 5 pound from each side.

Adrian is working on a suspension, and he has modified his own to accept cartidges/inserts by using a set of front housings modified to fit the rear. As mentioned there is also a company that is manufacturing them now as well (at over $400 a pop.)

Tweak can clock a turbo (he has on most of his swaps.)

935 motorsports will sell you a rear strut housing thats converted to recive cartriges so you don't have to convert it yourself.

Tweak should sell his bracket that he used then, id buy one

I would like to see an all inclusive bushing kit, all inclusive suspension upgrade kits (different stages would be sweet,) and other suspension goodies.

Nate (BiscuitWheels) has been working on headers and bolt on turbo packages.

Maybe if all the folks who were trying to create new parts were to get together and brainstorm, they could fill the gaps between one another and really produce some serious products that the common Celica owner would be able to afford.

And no, we don't need any lights, bodykits or wings.

I would like to see some brakes myself...

you can find suspention upgrades if you look. a good thread on suspention and handling upgrades on alltrac.net
http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16592&highlight=

Amen on the bodykits and tail light comment. go get a RC conversion and some vented 92-93 tails if you really want to make you car look sharp.

im also trying to locate someone that will make us some light two peice rotors, but so far to no aval.

Denver_whiteST185
10-11-2006, 08:25 PM
Well it'd be nice to drive down the freeway and be under 3500RPM... the car is kinda loud.

Make a lower-geared 5th gear and you'll be able to do that :D

KoreanJoey
10-11-2006, 08:59 PM
Make a lower-geared 5th gear and you'll be able to do that :D

But I'd rather not... working on transmissions is time consuming and... well... just not fun.

KoreanJoey
10-11-2006, 09:00 PM
im also trying to locate someone that will make us some light two peice rotors, but so far to no aval.

I might be able to get that squared away. My machine shop has a lot of higher end connections. I'll see what I can dig up.

GlHlOST
10-11-2006, 09:03 PM
Yea, 2 piece rotor brake kit to go all around... that would be nice.

cms-gt4
10-11-2006, 09:33 PM
I would liked to see some adapter plates, axels and mounts to use a late evo gearbox in a st185. Thats a little much to ask though I am sure.

GlHlOST
10-11-2006, 09:35 PM
whats the benefit on Evo gearbox?

Denver_whiteST185
10-11-2006, 09:41 PM
I would liked to see some adapter plates, axels and mounts to use a late evo gearbox in a st185. Thats a little much to ask though I am sure.

our gear box is as strong as an EVO. the only reason this would good is so we can have a front LSD.

joey, maybe you can use your resources to find a 5th gear with a lowered ratio that will fit in our cars? just an idea.

KoreanJoey
10-11-2006, 09:49 PM

The main issue with that would be finding an evo gearbox... I don't have one and I'm not willing to purchase one...

joey, maybe you can use your resources to find a 5th gear with a lowered ratio that will fit in our cars? just an idea.

That could be doable. I'm not too knowledgable about transmission internals but I can't imagine it being too difficult.

Trance4c
10-11-2006, 09:50 PM
Rain guards! I want rain guards!!!

http://www.celica.net/Gallery/5th_generation_Celica's/Exterior/90-93_GT4_Carlos_Sainz_Edition.JPG

See past thread about them...

LINKY (http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19131)

KoreanJoey
10-11-2006, 09:50 PM

Actually, I've got a friend that has the ST205 Gearbox, would anyone be interested in those gears (shorter gear ratios)?

KoreanJoey
10-11-2006, 09:51 PM

http://www.celica.net/Gallery/5th_generation_Celica's/Exterior/90-93_GT4_Carlos_Sainz_Edition.JPG

Call Japan.

GlHlOST
10-11-2006, 09:57 PM
NO!!!!!! you make them!!!!!! thats wat the thread is for right??? dont false advertise!!! I want raingaurds too!!!! so make em! lol j/k, but 4real... make some rainguards

GlHlOST
10-11-2006, 09:58 PM
our gear box is as strong as an EVO. the only reason this would good is so we can have a front LSD.

nd I thought you could just get an MR2 Turbo w/LSD

Denver_whiteST185
10-11-2006, 09:59 PM
Actually, I've got a friend that has the ST205 Gearbox, would anyone be interested in those gears (shorter gear ratios)?

how about the whole gearbox :D

(p.s. im serious, pm me with how much he want for it if hes willing to sell it)

KoreanJoey
10-11-2006, 10:00 PM
Well, I can see about the rain guards... it'd be nice to see what the factory used as far as mounting though...

Denver_whiteST185
10-11-2006, 10:01 PM
nd I thought you could just get an MR2 Turbo w/LSD

you CAN if you have a 2WD celica. 4WD celicas have different differentials than yours, so theres no Front LSD that we can use. however, there are lots of options for your car.

Also, look around on ebay. rain gaurds pop up on there every once in awhile.

KoreanJoey
10-11-2006, 10:01 PM
how about the whole gearbox :D

(p.s. im serious, pm me with how much he want for it if hes willing to sell it)

Sorry bro, he's keeping the gearbox. I could possibly get him to let the car go down for a few weeks seeing as it's not his daily driver and clone the gears and final drive but aside from that... no go.

KoreanJoey
10-11-2006, 10:03 PM
you CAN if you have a 2WD celica. 4WD celicas have different differentials than yours, so theres no Front LSD that we can use. however, there are lots of options for your car.

If I remember correctly the MR2 differential is more like the ST185 differential than the ST184... not sure though... When time comes for me to change transmissions later this month I'll take a look and see if my TRD LSD (MR2 Turbo/E153) fits in the S53.

GlHlOST
10-11-2006, 10:03 PM

Also, look around on ebay. rain gaurds pop up on there every once in awhile.

yea I didnt notice you had an alltrac

KoreanJoey
10-11-2006, 10:05 PM
And I just wanted to say guys I'm really excited to see all the things you guys are coming up with. It'll be a little while till we can implement everything but we'd love to do as much as we can. Some of it, of course, is more feasable than others but having an agreement w/ the machine shop for 1 off productions is a nice addition.

Joey

Denver_whiteST185
10-11-2006, 10:07 PM
final drive and 5th gears in both ST185 and ST205 trannies are the same. actually, the only the third and forth gears have slightly different ratios. however, if you can copy a final drive out of an RC tranny, thats lowered by .29

KoreanJoey
10-11-2006, 10:09 PM
Well unfortunately I don't have access to an RC tranny... :( but thanks for the info.

Denver_whiteST185
10-11-2006, 10:10 PM
If I remember correctly the MR2 differential is more like the ST185 differential than the ST184... not sure though... When time comes for me to change transmissions later this month I'll take a look and see if my TRD LSD (MR2 Turbo/E153) fits in the S53.

It wont, trust me. Pat (the 10 second alltrac) was trying to make a front LSD for his car since he couldn't find a single LSD that would fit.

TRD did make one, but discontinued it along time ago.

GlHlOST
10-11-2006, 10:11 PM
lemme get 1 thing straight here... The higher the ratio, the shorter the gear, less energy required, faster acceleration through gear, slower top-end from gear. And vice versa... correct? Im a noob when it comes to Tranny internals and ratios

Denver_whiteST185
10-11-2006, 10:21 PM
higher ratios = shorter gear = less top end = faster through the gear

and vice versa

The RC final drive is lower, so the gear would be longer. however, the first and second gear on those trannies is higher to make up for the final drive.

essentialy, the best tranny for celica would be a ST205 tranny with 3rd and 4th gears out of a ST185 and the first two gears and the final drive out of a RC.

BTW, how hard would it be to copy the gears and final drive gear. i might be able to borrow some RC tranny internals...

GlHlOST
10-11-2006, 10:28 PM
so I was correct? :phatyo: :woot2:

KoreanJoey
10-11-2006, 10:32 PM
higher ratios = shorter gear = less top end = faster through the gear

and vice versa

The RC final drive is lower, so the gear would be longer. however, the first and second gear on those trannies is higher to make up for the final drive.

essentialy, the best tranny for celica would be a ST205 tranny with 3rd and 4th gears out of a ST185 and the first two gears and the final drive out of a RC.

BTW, how hard would it be to copy the gears and final drive gear. i might be able to borrow some RC tranny internals...

To quote my machinist... you need something we can do it or find someone who can.

Trance4c
10-12-2006, 01:52 AM
Rain guards man.. I'm telling you! :D

Actually.. if I had to look at an item that can be easily mass-produced that would be a viable product to the masses, this would be it.

Denver_whiteST185
10-12-2006, 02:56 AM
acutually, the easist thing to make would be an aluminum cooling panel. any 5th gen celica could use it, and its made out of sheet metal, which would be easy to cut/bend to fit. same thing with an aluminum heatshield. if you ceramic coat it, it will be shiny and help lower underhood temps. both would be visual mods mostly, but would help keep the car cooler.

Denver_whiteST185
10-12-2006, 03:00 AM
To quote my machinist... you need something we can do it or find someone who can.

I'll see if i can borrow them. approximatly how long would you need the gears and what kind of price range would i be looking at (if you don't know, throw out a high guess)?

Cavanagh
10-12-2006, 03:09 AM
Well, i have a ST, so im worthless :( :( Until i swap :arr:

Denver_whiteST185
10-12-2006, 04:07 AM
but an ST could still use the alluminum cooling panel (see my point....)

2kSnakEater
10-12-2006, 04:30 AM
Why does everyone want a 6-speed?

Is it just the ability of saying you have a 6 speed?

I can go down the Highway in the Trans Am going 80mph @ 2k rpms, can you say the same thing?

6spd > 5spd

burnyd
10-12-2006, 04:59 AM
I can go down the Highway in the Trans Am going 80mph @ 2k rpms, can you say the same thing?

6spd > 5spd

does your mullet flap in the wind?

Murgatroy
10-12-2006, 05:02 AM
Keep it civil and On Topic.

cms-gt4
10-12-2006, 05:24 AM

There are few reason I would want that box. Better gear ratios (6speed), front lsd and, a active center diff.

The only reason I would like to see a 5th gear made was ifwe had access to the gtfour Rally box. 1-4 were close ratio 5th was the same as the rest. A 5th gear about the ratio of our 4th gear would be needed to keep 5th in a close ratio with the rest of the box. I can no longer find these gear boxes.

The main issue with that would be finding an evo gearbox... I don't have one and I'm not willing to purchase one...

I have a source. If I decided to go through with this I will give you a call. It also has the spline in the front lsd replaced to defeat the popular weak front diff. It costs 6k or so for a race built late model evo gearbox. So, if I make extra $$ next year I might just do it. I could get one cheaper but the whole reason would be for racing.

KoreanJoey
10-12-2006, 09:31 AM
And that's the idea of our productions... basically we're mostly making things for ourselves and it people want it also, great.

KoreanJoey
10-12-2006, 02:15 PM
I'll see if i can borrow them. approximatly how long would you need the gears and what kind of price range would i be looking at (if you don't know, throw out a high guess)?

I wish I knew... If you provide the parts the 1st set will be discounted to you for providing the prototype at cost of materials and labor (No development charges). However I don't know how long the turn around will be nor do I know how much it'll be... I'll check with them when I get back from California.

cms-gt4
10-12-2006, 03:20 PM
How about a short rack for the st18x series.
There have been plenty of people asking for these.
A company usedto make them but that was many years ago.

I am sure I have more ideas but its too early...

GlHlOST
10-12-2006, 07:20 PM
whats a short rack???

Denver_whiteST185
10-12-2006, 07:59 PM
whats a short rack???

a shorter geared steering rack. instead of 3 turns lock to lock, it would only be 2.5 turns, and so on.

Theres a guy on MR2OC that has a 13:1 pinion gear that he developed for power steering MR2's and he said that if i got it, and it didn't fit, than he would buy it back. maybe you (koreanjoey) could get one and test it.

ciento44
10-12-2006, 08:00 PM
a shorter geared steering rack. instead of 3 turns lock to lock, it would only be 2.5 turns, and so on.

Theres a guy on MR2OC that has a 13:1 pinion gear that he developed for power steering MR2's and he said that if i got it, and it didn't fit, than he would buy it back. maybe you (koreanjoey) could get one and test it.

Ooohhhh... i want this too. :)

Denver_whiteST185
10-13-2006, 02:38 AM
its $395 shipped plus a $100 core charge

brusk
10-13-2006, 03:11 PM
There are few reason I would want that box. Better gear ratios (6speed), front lsd and, a active center diff.

The only reason I would like to see a 5th gear made was ifwe had access to the gtfour Rally box. 1-4 were close ratio 5th was the same as the rest. A 5th gear about the ratio of our 4th gear would be needed to keep 5th in a close ratio with the rest of the box. I can no longer find these gear boxes.

I have a source. If I decided to go through with this I will give you a call. It also has the spline in the front lsd replaced to defeat the popular weak front diff. It costs 6k or so for a race built late model evo gearbox. So, if I make extra $$ next year I might just do it. I could get one cheaper but the whole reason would be for racing.

Is there even room for the center diff. The evo has a massive one compared to any AWD car I've ever seen. I don't have AWD Celica so I can't look to see how much room but I would imagine that would also need a custom crossmember.

KoreanJoey
09-27-2007, 12:29 PM
Ok, I'm bringing this back. Since it seems Conrad is doing some custom celica stuff as well it'll be nice to have a list or things that would be nice to have for the community.

andy
09-27-2007, 05:06 PM
a 3 inch divorced downpipe for the ct26 or ct20b, cause i love to here that wastegate open! i was thinking of making one out of a cheap ebay dp.

solarinsocal
09-28-2007, 03:26 PM
Please, someone make an aluminum skid plate just like the one that was pictured for the Evo! Brake kit or relocation brackets preferably using Supra rotors and calipers.

cs363
09-28-2007, 09:35 PM

hey Trance4c - I have these on my car, purchased them from my local Toyota dealer as a genuine part (iirc -they had to come from Japan, so took a couple of weeks) if you can't find any and really want them I'd be happy to organise from my end for a list stalwart like yourself.
In fact if you wait a couple of weeks my friend is going back to his old job at the parts department at my Toyota dealer (yay!) so i could probably get them at a discounted price. From memory (and don't quote me on this, they were about NZ$50-60 each, that's about US$37-45) Let me know if you want pics or want me to track these down for you.

cs363
09-28-2007, 09:39 PM
Well, I can see about the rain guards... it'd be nice to see what the factory used as far as mounting though...

They are self adhesive (sticks to the black rubber trim that runs around both side windows) with three small U shaped hooks that hook under the rubber.

cs363
09-28-2007, 10:06 PM
Yes - to the aluminium skid plate, I'd buy this for sure

Don't know about Evo gearboxes or parts of - we used to rally Celica's here (165,185 & 205) with some success, then changed to Mitsi Evo's (2,3 & 6.5) and I can tell you that the gears in those things are not strong, third gear in particular is very weak - would last around 160-170km of special stages before they would start peeling the teeth off....maybe they fixed this in the later boxes, I'm not sure. But based on my experience I wouldn't recommend them for anyone running high horsepower, just my 2c

Caliper mounting brackets for Supra caliper & rotor conversion - yes, these would be a go, I have a friend who is looking at this conversion and he'd be a buyer for sure. and as this is not a particularly hard conversion I think that if the brackets were available more people would look at this for an affordable big brake conversion.

I like the idea of a 3" downpipe with seperate screamer pipe - I tried to find one of these when I did my exhaust with no success. If price was right I'd look at changing ...

celicaGT90_05
09-29-2007, 03:18 AM
hmm...you know quad conversions for the pop up headlights would be awesome, I was wanting to do that with my celica.

cs363
10-05-2007, 03:31 AM
I see that the rain guards are now available from RHDJAPAN.com's website for anyone that's interested.

Carolina91GT-S
10-05-2007, 04:24 PM
How about a complete Swap kit? everything you need to do a 3SGTE swap.

or at least an exhaust kit for a swapped vehicle.

juggernaut
10-06-2007, 04:17 AM
what i would love to see is more parts for the 5th gen. headers. performance intake manifold. 6 speed would be nice. maybe a cold air intake kit. wait a sec.. how about we just make a 350 conversion to rear wheel drive?

cs363
10-09-2007, 02:26 PM
What about a nice stainless steel belt guard for people running adjustable cam gears with no top belt cover? Just something to cover the top of the belt to protect against clothing/hair/rags etc getting caught up. I'm going to want something like this myself so if no-one else steps up I may look at getting these done by a friend who is a good engineer/sheet metal worker, should be the same item for 3SGE, 3SGTE & the Supra 6 cyl IIRC

omar
10-25-2007, 08:48 PM
+1 for skid plate and +1 for cooling plates

turbo4ag
10-25-2007, 09:41 PM
How about something that will open your market up a little bit. A quality made plastic intake manifold. Something thats dyno proven, flows well, and can hold up to the punishment of boost and high temps. Im yet to see one made for a 3SGTE.

If not plastic, then atleast a standard aluminum side feed intake that cost less than competitors, and fits a second or third gen TB.

85gtsblackman
10-25-2007, 10:26 PM
rear camber weld in kit for a 3rd gen

Hookecho
10-25-2007, 10:35 PM
will any of this stuff ever be made?

KoreanJoey
10-27-2007, 05:54 PM
Who knows, if someone is interested why not... It's good to have a list of parts so if at some point a member either wants to make, or made a part on this list it could be used to let others interested in the same product work together.

nyana107
11-23-2007, 02:18 AM
a wide body kit for the 5th gens...

Ghosty
11-23-2007, 06:21 AM
Second the widebody kit. For the narrowbody models. Maybe some nice fender flares, if it's easier to produce.

Also, some really subtle sideskirts. Nothing flashy like vents, just functional and aggressive.

Oh, and has anyone suggested a rear diffuser yet? I think the rear end would look real nice and clean with a diffuser to fit a stock rear end.

EDIT: Whoops... it looks like exterior mods were not a part of the discussion... my bad... carry on

KoreanJoey
11-23-2007, 11:11 PM
No it's ok Ghosty, it's just a list of stuff we'd like to see for our cars.

Ghosty
11-25-2007, 02:40 AM
No it's ok Ghosty, it's just a list of stuff we'd like to see for our cars.

Oh- ok- cool then! :)

In that case, I don't take that stuff back. I wants it all.

There was an earlier mention of a 3SGTE conversion kit. I would second that as well.

Speaking of witch, what all would go into that kit? I mean, I've got a 4AFE. If I got the whole GT4 front clip (RHD, probably), I assume everything would be in there. It would be easier to purchase engine mounts as part of said kit than to rip them off the clip (probably safer, too). But that's all I can think of. So what else would go in the kit to make the swap easier?

celicaGT90_05
11-25-2007, 03:22 AM
a wide body for a 5th gen would be kinda hard to make look right, just like most body kits for them

Ghosty
11-25-2007, 05:28 AM
a wide body for a 5th gen would be kinda hard to make look right, just like most body kits for them

True, but take a look at this Tamiya model of a Toyota SARD Supra JGTC (sans livery).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/mschroy/sprgt05.jpg

Note how this GT car doesn't use a full-on-fender-replacing body kit. It's really nothing more than a special purpose, sculpted fender flare.

Here's a different view of the same model.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/mschroy/sprgt02.jpg

I think this is more technically feasible and the end product would look better than a traditional body kit.

celicaGT90_05
11-25-2007, 06:22 AM
it doesnt look bad, but a wide body is easier to achieve on a supra than it is a 5th gen. It's worth a try, I would like to see one look good

Cavanagh
11-25-2007, 07:20 AM
I would personally rather have functional parts made before looks, and a bodykit (to me) seems like it would be rather difficult to make.

nyana107
11-25-2007, 07:39 AM
what functional parts you have on your car cavanagh... just curious.

Cavanagh
11-25-2007, 08:41 AM
Performance wise? Nothing, im keeping my ST stock, but i found a gem for a good swap candidate that im more than likely going to get. Shhhh though

extremeskillz
11-25-2007, 01:37 PM
That body kit on the supra is ugly as hell. Shame for ruining that car. For parts i would like to see rear control arm that are adjustable for the rear of the GT-S. One to get rid of the crap, rusted surface ones and to for more flexability.

KoreanJoey
11-25-2007, 05:37 PM
What sort of adjustment are you looking for?

Ghosty
11-25-2007, 09:20 PM
That body kit on the supra is ugly as hell. Shame for ruining that car. For parts i would like to see rear control arm that are adjustable for the rear of the GT-S. One to get rid of the crap, rusted surface ones and to for more flexability.

Ruining the car???

It's a JGTC Supra with a 500+hp 3SGTE.

Everything done to that car is 100 percent functional. I don't comprehend how that "ruins" the car.

extremeskillz
11-26-2007, 02:21 AM
Ok the body kit is ugly. Better!

nyana107
11-26-2007, 02:46 AM
niiice.... let the flaming begin..

93bottlefedGT-S
11-26-2007, 03:23 AM
i would like to see some some adjustable lower control arms and even a full catback exhaust system... but most of all a stroker kit for the 5sfe guys, and if not a stroker kit then just some better pistons and rods...

Žusty
11-26-2007, 05:10 AM
It's a JGTC Supra with a 500+hp 3SGTE.
wouldn't it be better with a 2JZ GTE?..1000+hp

Murgatroy
11-26-2007, 05:12 AM
Then it wouldn't fit within the rules.

Cavanagh
11-26-2007, 05:26 AM
Don't quote me on this, but i have heard Supras doing this before to help with the weight distribution.

StormyBklyn
11-26-2007, 07:25 AM
What about Altezza lights? No one's mentioned rear lights. I know it's gen specific (while things for the 5s/3s/4a run across many years), but I've always wanted Altezzas for the 5th gen. I think I've seen them for 6th gens, but never for earlier.

Ghosty
11-26-2007, 07:41 AM
niiice.... let the flaming begin..

heheh...

I used to be a hothead on forums, but now I'm just passive-aggressive. No worries there.

The short answer is, they limit horsepower, and it's better competition to have a short-lived, 500hp 3SGTE compared to a heavier, 500hp 2JZGTE.

The JGTC is the Japanese Grand Touring Competition, but recently changed names to "Super GT." GT cars based on production models, but nowadays all the cars are carbonfiber shells with an outward appearance of the original car, but the engine must be sourced from a production model.

In JGTC and Super GT, there are two classes of cars. A "300" class and a "500" class. The 300 class represented engines tuned to a maximum, dyno-tested limit of 300hp. The 500 class, for 500hp. As a side note, many cars regularly exceed these limits, but they are penalized with weights, and the teams readily accept that.

The 3SGTE powered both 300hp and 500hp Toyotas; MR-S and Celicas in the 300 class, and Supras in the 500 class. As far as I know, they replaced the 3SGTE with 4.5L NA V8s - 3UZFE to be precise. Aluminum block and heads. Same as you find in production Lexus SC430.

The GT Supra was discontinued some years after they stopped making MKIV Supras. The current Toyota mainstay in the Super GT is Lexus SC430, which uses the same NA V8.

If you're interested more in these cars, visit the Super GT web site http://supergt.net/en/ (the web site has all the specifics on the cars, right down to the engine code for each car)

Or, you can pick up a copy of Gran Turismo 4 or 3. They feature the Super GT cars from numerous years.

... ok I'm done. I'll let everyone get back to the topic.

KoreanJoey
11-26-2007, 09:11 AM
^Nods in agreement... all the way around.

Also...

www.racing-underground.com

Torrents of any racing you'd like; including Super GT

Ghosty
11-27-2007, 03:08 AM
^Nods in agreement... all the way around.

Also...

www.racing-underground.com

Torrents of any racing you'd like; including Super GT

Is this some sort of mecca of computer racing sims?

'Cuz I just wet my sanitary napkin.

KoreanJoey
11-27-2007, 07:52 AM
No no no, it's video coverage of all the racing that you'd like to see...

as to the mecca of racing simulators

http://www.rfactor.net/

Conrad_Turbo
11-27-2007, 07:31 PM
I'm keeping an eye on this thread. ;)

As for the flares...any of you guys look at how inset the rear wheels are on a 5th gen? And you want to put flares on!? :laugh: :D

mook
11-27-2007, 09:08 PM
I'll put in my input from over the pond, as some of the things you've mentioned are available over here or from Europe.

With regards body kits, I normally hate everything for the 5gc as they never really follow the lines of the car very well. That said, there's a nice kit from Pakfeifer in Austria (I think) which is subtle and flows with the lines. Wouldn't necessarily have the high rise rear spoiler mind, but the skirts and lips are cool -

http://www.pakfeifer.com/catalog/images/products/toyota_celica_t18_weis_f.jpg

I too would be interested in the front skid panel, it's not something we can get for the ST185 over here either.

A rear difuser is also something I would like to add. Something properly functional that replaces the fuel tank gaurd and extends back to the base of the rear bumper. I know it wont be possible to do wind tunnel tests and so forth, but studying expensive supercars and trying to emulate designs similar to those would surely be of some benefit.

Taillights are also something I've been looking for for years. I've got an RC so it's already got the later spec lights, which are an improvement over the earlier ones. However, I've gone clear on the front and with the repeaters and would just want a replacement that looks the same but with clear instead of orange, including clear vented inserts (or even do away away with the vents and have them flat lenses like the USDM corners)

I've done quite a few things performancewise so unsure of anything to add there, although when I was upgrading it would have been nice to have an off the shelf upgrade to the RCs chargecooler pre-rad. Not that that's much use to you guys though.

Anyway, that's my 2p :D

Ghosty
12-01-2007, 01:25 AM
It's been mentioned here before, but I wanted to add in my two cents about the custom intake manifold. It's a black art making those, but I would be damned if you couldn't make something better than factory.

And I know you AT/ 3SGTE guys would probably eat this stuff up.

Probably preaching to the choir, but... Ways that you could improve on the stock design, with performance in mind, is integrate some individual throttle bodies (individual throttle plates?). This would lower the flow loss.

It would be important to maintain or perfect the symmetrical design (3SGTE stock intake manifolds are symmetrical instead of log-style, right?) This creates a more equalized airflow to the cylinder, as the runners closest and farthest from the air source in the plenum gets a disproportionate amount of air.

Of course, so far the talk is all cut-and-dried. You know that the sticky situation comes when trying to calculate the size of the plenum and the length of the intake runners. Helmholtz equations and whatnot. It is not a one-size-fits-all proposition, and it might not be cost effective to cater to every single specific tune for every single customer. This is all just theory, but for the sake of simplicity, perhaps there should be three general applications to shoot for:

Autocross - Long intake runners to provide better low end torque and increase off-boost performance. Slight increase in size over stock to cut down restriction and reap the benefits of increased boost, but not so much as to sacrifice throttle response.

Street - Shorter intake runners than the Autocross model. Would loose a bit of low end, but would be beneficial for top end. Larger and less restrictive intake plenum than stock.

Drag/ Track - Short intake runners with wide diameters for an optimum top-end. Large plenum. Emphasis on straight line speed.

Let me know if the theory here is wrong, but I think that's a good general idea of the situation. These should be designed for 3SGTE applications where the boost has been raised over stock. Otherwise the cost/benefit is essentially nil.

You'll probably have to loose the TVIS for simplicity's sake, but I don't believe that to be much of a problem for most performance applications. From what I understand TVIS primarily enhances in town driving, and the enhancements on the custom intake manifold should eclipse the losses. But, I could be wrong about that especially if you are an autocrosser and rely on that TVIS for the low end.

Carolina91GT-S
12-01-2007, 02:23 AM
Does anyone make a bracket for clocking a CT-26 turbo? or does everyone just custom fabricate one when they do this? I would like to see one of those. Couldn't be that hard to do, no moving parts, fairly straight forward....

grayscale
12-01-2007, 03:22 AM
That said, there's a nice kit from Pakfeifer in Austria (I think) which is subtle and flows with the lines. Wouldn't necessarily have the high rise rear spoiler mind, but the skirts and lips are cool -

http://www.pakfeifer.com/catalog/images/products/toyota_celica_t18_weis_f.jpg

Do you have any contact info for that manufacturer?

KoreanJoey
12-01-2007, 04:42 PM
Does anyone make a bracket for clocking a CT-26 turbo? or does everyone just custom fabricate one when they do this? I would like to see one of those. Couldn't be that hard to do, no moving parts, fairly straight forward....

I believe Dr. Tweak sells a kit perhaps...

The Captain
12-01-2007, 05:15 PM
I'd still like to find a reasonably priced brake upgrade. A hat for a 2 piece rotor and a bracket for an OEM caliper would be ideal. Oh, and 17X8 wheels with +11 and +36 mm offset that look good are lightwieght and don't cost $2500.

And to quote Borat, "I'd like pussy magnet installed in bumper, very nice!"

KoreanJoey
12-01-2007, 05:34 PM
Well I've got contacts w/ both Rota and Performance Friction Brakes... I'm trying to talk to Shannon at PFB about the brake upgrade relocating the stock calipers or perhaps getting some caliper/rotor kit that would at least clear 16" wheels (that's mostly for me but hey, why not?).

Ghosty
12-01-2007, 08:02 PM
And to quote Borat, "I'd like pussy magnet installed in bumper, very nice!"

Hate to break it to you, but your car is already a pussy magnet.

Or at least it should be.

Hell, I'm not a chick, and even I want to get with you after looking at your car.

KoreanJoey
12-02-2007, 07:52 AM
.... :ghey:

mook
12-03-2007, 07:59 AM
Link for Pakfeifer for that body kit - http://www.pakfeifer.com/catalog/default.php?language=en :)

Physlis
06-07-2008, 11:19 PM
Since this is just a list of things we'd like to see for our cars; I think I'd be cool if we could get LED headlights and taillights (full components, not just stock bulb replacemnts).
LED headlight (http://www.partstrain.com/images/The_Auto_Blog/audi_nuvolari_led_headlight.jpg)
LED tails (http://www.led3rdbrakelights.com/Led-tail-and-third-brake-light.jpg)
To go one further with that: a set of headlights that are about 1/2 the height of stock ones so those of us with the 'sleepy-eye' conversion can run with the lights less than all the way up at night but still have full visibility.

I got some other ideas, but don't got time to post 'em just yet.

(edit) Oooo...just realized I posted in a really old thread. Oh well, atleast I was on topic, lol.