PDA

View Full Version : Thermostat question

2kSnakEater
10-03-2006, 02:39 PM
For those of you who dont know I live in Florida, it gets cold here maybe 1 or 2 months out of the year. Now I want to take my thermostat completely out and not replace it, I have done it before on my Camaro and it ran cooler than ever, can I do the same thing with the All-Trac?

T-spoon
10-03-2006, 06:31 PM
It's a bad idea. The thermostat is there to keep you from overcooling, the only thermostat that will cause you to run too hot is one that is not working properly. The engine is meant to run at operating temp, not however cold you can get it. But judging from your last response on a topic of engine cooling, you don't want to hear it and are probably going to pull your tstat out anyway, so whatever.

burnyd
10-03-2006, 07:18 PM
ok master mechanic..............Yes you can take out your tstat. I never ran one in any 3sgte car I have ever had.....

2kSnakEater
10-03-2006, 07:55 PM
you got to think where I live, it will get about 60 maybe 50 degrees 1 or 2 days out of the year, the rest of the time it will be 75-95 out and most of the year its 85-95.

BurnyD you seriously never ran a t-stat on any of your 3sgte's? did they run ok? no ses lights?

burnyd
10-03-2006, 08:12 PM
dude youll be fine...... I never ran a tstat on any of the following

93 alltrac
94 6gc st185 swap
91 mr2

and the alltrac + 6gc where winter driven here in pittsburgh.

allblackalltrac
10-03-2006, 08:14 PM
I run no t-stat during the summer months as well, never had a problem, no CEL. On a really hot day(40*F) the temp would still climb about half way and that was without A/C and the fan running constant. Only problem with it not being there is if the engine coolant doesnt reach operating temp than the ecu will run rich and pull timing.

2kSnakEater
10-03-2006, 08:24 PM
40*F is a hot day? lol

currently with stock t-stat the car gets so hot that you cannot sit or even touch the hood, and thats with the fan running at all time.

Lagos
10-03-2006, 08:42 PM
you get no benefits from taking it out. if anything, you can damage the motor because it will be too cold while you are on the highway boosting. its like a 20$ part. just buy a new one and stick it in.

if you want better cooling of your hood and engine bay, you'll need to upgrade to something like the CS front bumper and hood, and get a fmic. the biggest source of heat in the engine bay is that horrible stock top mount IC. taking out the thermostat will not help at all.

2kSnakEater
10-03-2006, 09:03 PM
so, how cold is "too cold"?

91 celica st
10-03-2006, 11:05 PM
not having a thermastat is a good way to heat shock the block, ive seen it/had it hapen. if you want more cooling from a stock thermast drill holes around the flat piece the size of bb's, i drill 2 in mine, somtimes 4, helps out and wont over cool it

Lagos
10-03-2006, 11:19 PM
so, how cold is "too cold"?

whatever is lower then the operating temp for the motor, aka what your thermostat is rated at. running the car too cold, is just as bad as running it too hot.

my 3s stays nice and cool, because of all the gt4 vents in my hood and bumper. the CS hood/bumper, would give you the same benefits on a 5th gen.

lingham
10-03-2006, 11:43 PM
The purpose of a thermostat is to keep the engine at optimal running temperature. Your performance will be best at the manufacturers recomended operating temperature. If it runs either too hot or too cold, your performance will suffer. Wear and tear on all moving parts will be greater at any temperature other then the recomended operating temperature. All engines are designed to run at peak performance at a specified temperature. Running too hot or too cold will also effect the longevity of your engine.

91 celica st
10-04-2006, 04:13 AM
whatever is lower then the operating temp for the motor, aka what your thermostat is rated at. running the car too cold, is just as bad as running it too hot.

my 3s stays nice and cool, because of all the gt4 vents in my hood and bumper. the CS hood/bumper, would give you the same benefits on a 5th gen.

exactly, not to mention having the thermat out can actully make you run HOTTER. it movems the volume of water too fast thoruhg the block at higher rpms to cool it down therefore making it hotter, though this usully only happens on V blocks it could happen on an I block

just drill 2 bb sized holes in it, thats the most effective way IMO

2kSnakEater
10-04-2006, 03:32 PM
Looks like I will be drilling holes in the current thermostat, and what is the Optimal running temperature for the 3SGTE? and I dont mean manufacture recomended temp since 90% of Auto makers make their car's run hotter than optimal for emisions purposes.