PDA

View Full Version : Obx Helical Lsd?

91GTurbo
10-03-2006, 08:17 AM
So I've got a '91 Gt coupe with a 3S-GTE w/alot of mods. Dynoed last week at 285whp, w/a boost leak (later discovered). So expecting about 300+whp. I still have the S53 and am gonna run it until it goes out on me. I'm also gonna get an MR2 E153 LSD tranny & just let it sit until needed, if ever needed. My question is HAS ANY1 USED OR HAD EXPERIENCE WITH THE OBX HELICAL LSD'S FOR THE S53'S (seen here http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-LSD-HELICAL-85-04-CELICA-GT-GTS-MR2-MR-S-SPIDER-2WD_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33731QQihZ016QQitem Z260037434070QQrdZ1)? I am wondering if its worth the investment, since I have extra funds this month and am getting the car back at the end of this month. Any input would be GREATLY appreciated guys

90celicaGTX
10-04-2006, 04:42 AM
i heard of some people usin and likin them...

i guess it just matters onb what u plan on doin with the car...

AutoX?

91GTurbo
10-04-2006, 04:51 AM
Well, its still at the shop and comes back at the end of the month. When I gave it to them it was only putting out 230whp. Thats another issue I am worried about, I'm gonna try and get with ATS and talk to the about upgrading the axels. I know they make them for the MR2's. They are located in Denton,TX about 20 min's from Alamo Autosports, the shop where my car is in Arlington,TX. They work with each other alot and supply Alamo w/lots of parts.

angryyoungnpoor
10-04-2006, 06:42 PM
With 300 whp your axles should be fine. I don't know... Mine are beefy as hell, but I also have lifetime replacement in case I do snap it.

ciento44
10-04-2006, 07:56 PM
I've heard both good and bad things about that diff....

The neon guys love it, the Honda guys hate it. My buddy with the Neon bought one last month. Build quality looks pretty good, installed fairly easily. He hasn't run the car on it yet, though. I'll let you know how it goes. Should be running again in about 2 weeks.

GlHlOST
10-04-2006, 08:02 PM
Dynoed last week at 285whp, w/a boost leak (later discovered). So expecting about 300+whp.

When I gave it to them it was only putting out 230whp

this arises 2 questions in my head... 1. Is this guy BSing on HP and 2. If hes not, wat exactly did this shop do to increase the HP to 285 from 230

ciento44
10-04-2006, 08:29 PM
this arises 2 questions in my head... 1. Is this guy BSing on HP and 2. If hes not, wat exactly did this shop do to increase the HP to 285 from 230

I doubt he is. Mayhaps he had something installed?!?!?!? It's not unheard of, and regardless, has nothing to do with the thread.

Snafu
10-04-2006, 10:05 PM
OBX has had 2 versions of their LSD.

The first, was not chamfered on the edges, so axles would get stuck in them. They would also eat the splines off. There were also many people who found improper torque specifications on many of the bolts. Most of these issues have been corrected by OBX.

So, if you get one, disassemble it and re-torque everything to spec.

ciento44
10-04-2006, 10:20 PM
OBX has had 2 versions of their LSD.

The first, was not chamfered on the edges, so axles would get stuck in them. They would also eat the splines off. There were also many people who found improper torque specifications on many of the bolts. Most of these issues have been corrected by OBX.

So, if you get one, disassemble it and re-torque everything to spec.

Yeah, we went ahead and retorqued everything on the Neon, just to make sure. :) Like i said, build quality looked pretty good, and everything seemed to be torqued right, we just wanted to make sure, for obvious reasons. :)

91GTurbo
10-05-2006, 06:37 PM
Ghost, dont be jealous. It easy to increase the hp from 230 to 285 when you do what I've been saving 3 yrs to do. As far as what was done by Bryce, the owner of Alamo Autosports, and his great mechanics, like Albert (who's now back at Toyota) here's the majors:
Autronic SMC
3" down pipe
catless exhaust (unfortunately I still have the crappy HKS exhaust on there that I hate)
550cc injectors
stroked it from a 2.0L to 2.2L with a cryo crank
JE Forged pistons
shotpined rods
metal head gaskets
port, polished & sleeved
ATS duel feed fuel rail
eliminated TVIS
272 cams
gasket & port matched
Greddy TD06S turbo running at 15psi
wastegated headers
Greedy BOV
FMIC with RC/CS bumper
PWR radiator
HKS turbo timer
Greddy boost controller
lightweight aluminum flywheel
HKS adjustable cam gears
Increased compression
and the rest is all suspension. (strut tower, swaybars (front & rear), coilovers, etc.
You can think that I'm lying all day, it doesn't bother me a bit. But DONT WORRY I'll have it back in the next couple months and be posting pics for all to see. I will also post dyno sheets that I get when I pick up the car and have them dyno it in front of me before they get the last of their money.

91GTurbo
10-05-2006, 06:46 PM
Ciento44 & Snafu, I appreciate all the input/info. Ciento44 let me know how ur buddy likes that LSD cause I'm really considering getting it and just hoping that my S53 holds up to the power I've been saving for 3 yrs to finally get. I'm thinking I need to look into getting some1 (maybe ATS) to make me some chromoly cv joints and axels just to make sure I dont snap any. Its sad I just dropped all the money I saved for 3 yrs into my engine, suspension and Fuel management. Now I need to save for another yr or so for the drivetrain. At least I have a better job that pays more now. So it shouldn't take as long. But my bills and student loan payments are taking a good chunk every month

ciento44
10-05-2006, 08:16 PM
On your setup, it's not the axles taht i'd be worrying about... that tranny more than likely won't last too long. I'd say at least get an S54, but realistically, i'd wait and take the jump into E153 with the power potential that you're sitting on with a stroker and that turbo is a nice match for it. :)

But yeah, like i said, his car should be up and running like a raped ape again in about 2 weeks. Nothing like a Neon approaching 500whp. If the lsd can handle that car, should be fine for yours. :P

91GTurbo
10-05-2006, 09:51 PM
Yeah, I am worried about that S53, but the way i see it: 1) the interior will be torn apart for about 3 months while I sound deaden and lay all the wires for my new stereo system, Clifford GPS alarm & Car PC setup, so I won't be able to drive it anyways 2) it will be babied for the first 2000 or so miles, especially since it will only be driven on weekends and occasionally some week nights to local meets and 3) All this should give me time to save up for the E153, covert it and locate the other misc alltrac parts I'm gonna need to use the E153 (crossmembers, linkage, etc). I'm gonna talk to ATS about getting a rebuilt E153 w/lsd, converted and ready to install and see if they can handle this job. I figure if I'm gonna use the E153 I want a rebuilt one, not one w/miles on it. Nothing like having a rebuilt engine and a rebuilt tranny to match. As I've stated in some other threads I plan on keeping this car 4ever, so I want everything to last and not have to be redone for many yrs to come.

500whp in a neon huh? Is it an SRT-4 built up or another setup?

ciento44
10-05-2006, 10:22 PM
Yeah, I am worried about that S53, but the way i see it: 1) the interior will be torn apart for about 3 months while I sound deaden and lay all the wires for my new stereo system, Clifford GPS alarm & Car PC setup, so I won't be able to drive it anyways 2) it will be babied for the first 2000 or so miles, especially since it will only be driven on weekends and occasionally some week nights to local meets and 3) All this should give me time to save up for the E153, covert it and locate the other misc alltrac parts I'm gonna need to use the E153 (crossmembers, linkage, etc). I'm gonna talk to ATS about getting a rebuilt E153 w/lsd, converted and ready to install and see if they can handle this job. I figure if I'm gonna use the E153 I want a rebuilt one, not one w/miles on it. Nothing like having a rebuilt engine and a rebuilt tranny to match. As I've stated in some other threads I plan on keeping this car 4ever, so I want everything to last and not have to be redone for many yrs to come.

500whp in a neon huh? Is it an SRT-4 built up or another setup?

It's a 1997 Neon ACR w/ a 2.0 litre DOHC engine. Built, of course, but still the 2.0 displacement. He just got his block rebuilt after it blew up again, built to take 38psi on an SC61. :P

But yeah, if you plan on upping the power even more in the future, there is no reason to hang on to the S53 at this point. I say don't even baby it if you have another DD. Go ahead and beat it, and blow it up spectacularly, and post pictures. :)

91GTurbo
10-05-2006, 10:35 PM
I do have a DD but I dont really want to blow the S53, even though it would be fun. I'd like to actually be able to drive it at least until the tranny goes out. However, if I get the new tranny before the S53 goes out.....then yeah I'm down, except I dont want to put that kinda wear/strain on an engine I just spent a nice chunk of change rebuilding and improving. Know what I mean?

GlHlOST
10-05-2006, 11:39 PM
Ghost, dont be jealous. It easy to increase the hp from 230 to 285 when you do what I've been saving 3 yrs to do. As far as what was done by Bryce, the owner of Alamo Autosports, and his great mechanics, like Albert (who's now back at Toyota) here's the majors:
Autronic SMC
3" down pipe
catless exhaust (unfortunately I still have the crappy HKS exhaust on there that I hate)
550cc injectors
stroked it from a 2.0L to 2.2L with a cryo crank
JE Forged pistons
shotpined rods
metal head gaskets
port, polished & sleeved
ATS duel feed fuel rail
eliminated TVIS
272 cams
gasket & port matched
Greddy TD06S turbo running at 15psi
wastegated headers
Greedy BOV
FMIC with RC/CS bumper
PWR radiator
HKS turbo timer
Greddy boost controller
lightweight aluminum flywheel
HKS adjustable cam gears
Increased compression
and the rest is all suspension. (strut tower, swaybars (front & rear), coilovers, etc.
You can think that I'm lying all day, it doesn't bother me a bit. But DONT WORRY I'll have it back in the next couple months and be posting pics for all to see. I will also post dyno sheets that I get when I pick up the car and have them dyno it in front of me before they get the last of their money.
no jealousy here... dont get me wrong, I never sed you were BSing, if read carefully I sed it arises questions... Questions that you have answered above. Thats ALOTTA ish your doin there... deff post pics wen ur done as I am a huge fan of any 3s swap.

P.S. - do you have the dyno sheet for the 285?

And BTW... 91GTurbo... You should already know that the s53 is not gunna hold up very long with the power you're talkin about.

91GTurbo
10-06-2006, 12:10 AM
No dyno sheets, the shop is in Arlington, Tx & I'm in Houston (about 4 hrs away). This is what they informed me over the phone recently when I talked to them about the status. I trust them so I don't think they're BSing me. I didn't really need them anyways since I'm gonna make them dyno it the day I pick it up. I'll have them print the results & I'm gonna film it. Yeah, I know the S53 wont hold, I'm looking into getting a rebuilt E153 w/LSD. I'm just gonna drive it for a couple days, since its been 4ever since I last drove it. Then I start the interior work and saving for the E153. Once I get it back there will pics all in my profile as well as a thread w/pics in the 5th gen forum.