PDA

View Full Version : Corolla manifold torque?

Freeze
01-19-2005, 02:35 AM
I have an '87-'91 (I think that's the year) Corolla header and exhaust manifold on my 5th gen 5sfe. Does anyone know what the torque specs should be to torque down the header to the manifold? I know for the 5s it would be 36lbft...

InitialD93
01-19-2005, 03:26 AM
how did u get a header made for a 4A motor to fit the 5S????

Freeze
01-19-2005, 03:30 AM
It came like that when I got the car. I'm not getting any exhaust leaks and it seems to have better flow than the stock 5s, so I'm not complaining.

Mike431635
01-20-2005, 05:02 AM
That's strange. I don't think a header from that car would fit your 5S. I get the feeling that whoever sold you the car didn't know what he/she was talking about.

Anyhow, torque the bolts to whatever the bolts on the stock 5S exhaust manifold need to be at, as specified in the BGB or a Haynes/Chilton repair manual.

Colossus20v
01-20-2005, 01:49 PM
Yeah maybe the person who sold it to you ment a camry or something, becuase I am pretty sure the bolt patterns are different and the exhaust ports. Like Mike said, just torque it down to whatever the bolts on the 5s need to be.

TRDmkII
01-20-2005, 09:05 PM
yeah he's smokin crack...and torque them down to whatever the hell you feel like.

Hooligan
01-20-2005, 09:27 PM
...and torque them down to whatever the hell you feel like.

No...there are correct torque specifications and they will be in a BGB or other service manual. I strongly suggest that you follow them so that you don't pull a stud out of the head.

david in germany
01-20-2005, 09:56 PM
yeah he's smokin crack...and torque them down to whatever the hell you feel like.
That my friend is the quickest way to need a head rebuild or a new head....
If it were a 4afe then the correct torque is 19ft lbs. Never over torque an exhaust manafold!!!!!!
the studs will pull out of the head when the manafold heats up.
David

Freeze
01-21-2005, 12:17 AM
I know the 5s is suppost to be 36lbft. I know they're not from a Camry, 'cause I used to have a Camry and I know what those look like. The bolt pattern *is* differnet, but he said that his mechanic told him it would work fine the way they had it set up.

Hooligan
01-21-2005, 12:23 AM
Some different Camrys had different manifolds. I have a tubular manifold from the last of the 5SFE powered Camrys on my car. Earlier models came with cast versions.

Can you post a few pics?

Freeze
01-21-2005, 01:41 AM
Yeh, I'll post some pics up tomorrow. It's wrapped in fiberglass heatshielding, so you can't see it very well, but I'll see what I can do.

InitialD93
01-21-2005, 03:33 AM
this still does not address the fact that the 4A-FE/GE head and the 5S-FE heads are completely different and i dont think there is anyway that the manifold will bolt up at all if thats correct about the corolla... and if it does bolt down the porting demintions and everything will be totally off. If someone told u this was a corolla header i think they are mistaken... maybe im wrong but that just makes no sense to me

TRDmkII
01-24-2005, 01:54 AM
i always use my 3/8 ratchet to tighten them down....it never over tightens them.

Hooligan
01-24-2005, 02:23 AM
i always use my 3/8 ratchet to tighten them down....it never over tightens them.

You would be amazed how little torque is specified. You are probably over torquing them. How would you know if they're overtightened if you don't use a torque wrench?