PDA

View Full Version : a quick question

jjazmin
10-01-2006, 04:22 AM
hey guys..since im going to do my swap soon..im going to be getting the cs bumper as well..quick question though..i heard that one of the reinforcement bars block the way almost giving no room for a fmic...anyone know or heard of this?..and if it is true..which reinforcement is it so i dont go on an order something i dont need..thanks alot guys...

Murgatroy
10-01-2006, 05:48 AM
The stock bumper brace for the GT-S nose piece will have to be replaced. The RC brace will be fine.

VikingJZ
10-01-2006, 05:32 PM
Well, if you DO plan on putting in a FMIC, then you will have to replace the bumper bar or cut the original one to fit(not recommended). If you are leaving leaving the TMIC then you won't have to buy the RC support.

jjazmin
10-01-2006, 05:36 PM
wait..so if im leaving the top mount..then i DONT have to buy it?....so why would i need it if im getting a fmic and im just going to cut it..

alltracman78
10-01-2006, 07:38 PM
The regular bumper is too thick for you to fit a FMIC easily.
The RC bumper is nice and thin, so you can fit one easily.

You can mount the RC bumper cover on top of the regular bumper, but you will be able to see the bumper through the cover.

VikingJZ
10-01-2006, 09:27 PM
You can solve the issue of seeing the stock bumper bar through the RC cover by ordering the factory grille inserts or simply by using "mesh" that can be easily purchased on Ebay with plenty left over for other projects.

GlHlOST
10-01-2006, 10:59 PM
ok so if I bought an RC bumper (like exterior bumper that you see) right now and I had a nice sized FMIC, I would have to get an RC bumper (the actual metal bumper thing behind the bumper) to go with my RC bumper (like exterior bumper that you see) (no comedy intended) in order for the FMIC to fit?

Murgatroy
10-02-2006, 12:53 AM
ok so if I bought an RC bumper (like exterior bumper that you see) right now and I had a nice sized FMIC, I would have to get an RC bumper (the actual metal bumper thing behind the bumper) to go with my RC bumper (like exterior bumper that you see) (no comedy intended) in order for the FMIC to fit?
Short answer, yes.

But if you were to cut the factory installed bar, you could get the FMIC to fit.

GlHlOST
10-02-2006, 01:15 AM
thnx Murg... Im surprised you understood wat I was saying considering I confused myself twice just typing that...

Now wen you say I could cut the factory bar, u mean the metal bumper part behind the bumper right? and if correct, wat negative effects would that have seeing as udstuengt stated it wasnt recomended?

Murgatroy
10-02-2006, 01:17 AM
The factory metal brace is wider, it has more impact resistance. If you cut it to fit a FMIC in behind it, it will not be as strong as you are removing the integrity of the brace.

jjazmin
10-02-2006, 01:50 AM
so basically..i cant fit a fmic in if i simply remove my oem front bumper and install an rc front bumper?..((and installing the reinforcement bars that go along with the rc bumper as well))

1990CelicaGT-S
10-02-2006, 02:09 AM
Cutting the reinforcement bar behind the bumper cover would reduce integrity of the bar in the event of a crash. I'd go for the rc reinforment bar, that way it's a solid piece that hasn't been messed around with.

alltracman78
10-02-2006, 02:14 AM
Just so we are all on the same page, and to clear up a misconception here.

Bumper COVER = the molded plastic cover that is on the front of the car.

Bumper = the metal brace behind the cover that actually takes the impact in the event of a hit.

Weather or not a FMIC will fit depends on a couple of things.
The most important being the size of the IC.
Also, how ingenious you are in fitting it.
And, weather you have the RC bumper or the regular bumper.

You CAN fit a FMIC with the regular bumper.
It is just harder.
With less airflow.

celica9303
10-02-2006, 06:28 AM
what about a smaller (not as tall) sperco type FMIC that should fit with the regular aT bumper cover.?