PDA

View Full Version : problem...water bubbling from radiator

88 silicar
09-29-2006, 02:22 PM
I have just put a import turbo engine in my celica. The engine was started today for the first time in six months. Originally the radiator and intercooler were filled with coolant only. For the purpose of just getting the engine started it was filled with water. After starting the engine the radiator started overflowing with a white froth. I thought i might have blown the engine, but i checked the intercooler and there was froth coming out of it too. Can someone shed some light into why its frothing up. Also water overflows from the radiator when i rev the engine. I spoke to someone today and they said it might be a blockage in the system. Im hoping its not the head thats blown. Please help!!!

stockt12
09-29-2006, 02:57 PM
i gather you tried the simplest thing? quick flush.. just to see whether it was the build from the last 6 months of just sitting there

88 silicar
09-29-2006, 03:12 PM
i gather you tried the simplest thing? quick flush.. just to see whether it was the build from the last 6 months of just sitting th.ere
No i havent. But thats a good start, thanks for the tip. Still need to know what the froth is though.

alltracman78
09-30-2006, 12:51 AM
Both systems have a pump.
When you "pump" coolant/water, it will froth to some extent.
It could also be made worse by any buildup in the system.

As for the overflowing, is the rad cap on?
If it is, the cap is probably bad.

88 silicar
09-30-2006, 01:20 AM
Both systems have a pump.
When you "pump" coolant/water, it will froth to some extent.
It could also be made worse by any buildup in the system.

As for the overflowing, is the rad cap on?
If it is, the cap is probably bad.
Yeh the radiator cap is off. That is where its overflowing from. Im gonna flush the whole system out today, hopefully that will work.

Mister2T
09-30-2006, 01:25 PM
rad cap.

andy
10-01-2006, 12:28 AM
DOOD!, mine did the SAME thing. jdm swap filled with water. started. check the coolent the next day. looks like freakin shaving cream. I think its some weird JDM coolent there using overthere that reacts with water. I just flushed mine for a good 10 min. and all is good now.
later

alltracman78
10-01-2006, 06:16 AM
Yeh the radiator cap is off. That is where its overflowing from. Im gonna flush the whole system out today, hopefully that will work.

Ok, hold up.

It WILL overflow if the rad cap isn't on...
It will take a bit, but it will happen.+

88 silicar
10-01-2006, 08:54 AM
Ok, hold up.

It WILL overflow if the rad cap isn't on...
It will take a bit, but it will happen.+
It fountains out of the radiator when the revs are increased, It shouldnt do that. Before i bought the front clip i checked the radiator for this problem, everything looked good. Im just wondering if it might be my original radiator being blocked. Im out of ideas.

88 silicar
10-01-2006, 09:01 AM
DOOD!, mine did the SAME thing. jdm swap filled with water. started. check the coolent the next day. looks like freakin shaving cream. I think its some weird JDM coolent there using overthere that reacts with water. I just flushed mine for a good 10 min. and all is good now.
later
Hey man, thats exactly what it looks like, freeked me out. Did you have water overflowing out of your radiator when you reved the engine. Just trying to work out if that crap has blocked my radiator or something.

stockt12
10-01-2006, 09:07 AM
it's no biggie mate.. as soon as it's flushed that will disappear.

helipos
10-03-2006, 11:54 AM
'points at a head gasket'. Lift your thermostat off your block and try pressurise your radiator with a hose and the top port blocked if no water comes out of your block then its possibly blocked. But could be your water pump blocking it so dont jump to any conclusions.

Regards Helipos

T-spoon
10-03-2006, 06:33 PM
Radiator "flush" chemicals also froth up like that, another possibility.