PDA

View Full Version : Muffler Recommendation

csnow
01-19-2005, 12:06 AM
I need a muffler. Well I don't need one, but the one I have on my car has got to go! Way too loud :thumbsdow I would rather sacrafice a few ponies and be able to hear myself think. Any recommendations Celica crew?

85gtsblackman
01-19-2005, 12:11 AM
thrush turbo muffler ???

ummm id sugest getting a good sized resontor and go from there

csnow
01-19-2005, 12:25 AM
I am new to the import scene...always built 350 small blocks but decided to see how a reved up sewing machine would run. This celica was a pleasent surprise :) I would prefer something with a fairly soft sound, but with good flow. Yes, I know these two qualities are diametrically opposed i.e. (low noise vs flow). I was told that ovals were the best bet. I currently have a large round muffler that I would equate to a glass-pak of sorts in the V8 world. Any brand name ovals that I should look into?

Sean
01-19-2005, 09:09 PM
magnaflow... and typically, the longer the canistor, the quiter it will be. Dont go below 2.5 ID!

Lagos
01-19-2005, 09:53 PM
damn, nice intake manifold, Csnow!

csnow
01-20-2005, 12:02 AM
Sean,

What is a 2.5 ID?

csnow
01-20-2005, 12:28 AM
LOL.....I just checked under my car and I have 3" all the way to the rear and my muffler is a Magnaflow. Any other ones that are quieter.

85gtsblackman
01-20-2005, 12:35 AM
flowmaster?

stock?

Mike431635
01-20-2005, 05:03 AM
You can always add another muffler, which will quiet it down quite a bit.

Slider
01-20-2005, 07:20 AM
First off what kind of muffler do you have on there right now? And do you have a resonator?

If I were you I'd get a resonator put in if you don't have one already. The longer it is the quieter the exhaust will be. A resonator will probably not hurt your performance at all.

A chambered design like flowmaster's should be pretty quiet, but it's more of a restrictive design, so you might lose a little power, but it should be the quietest one. (The stock muffler design is a chambered design)

And as sean said magnaflow would be a good one, it's a straight-through design so it won't be as quiet as a chambered one (flowmaster), but you won't experience any power losses. The longer and fatter the muffler the deeper and quieter the sound will be.

edit: the best for you would be a twin loop muffler, like the DC Sports TCS. It offers the same performance as a straight through muffler but it is just as quiet as the stock muffler. The problem is that DC Sports only sells it as a whole catback system. So you would have to get a cheap knockoff or something.

csnow
01-20-2005, 11:05 PM
Slider, I have a magnaflow currently. Is a resonator the same as a silencer that is on Ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7948674824&category=33636

Quyen
01-21-2005, 12:09 AM
I had a custom made straight-thru SS muffler which was good, but a bit loud. I've tried a few aftermarket exhausts as well, but the one exhaust that I like the most is the stock st185 exhaust. I like it so much that I bought a new one (from primary cat to muffler tip) from Toyota which costed as the same as a high performce system from aftermarket such as HKS. The stock system is very very well built, lasted more than 12 years in Canadian wealther, have the sound that I like and I found no loss of performance.

Quyen

Punisher
01-21-2005, 02:47 AM
CSNOW.. very nice 3SGTE.. nice output too.. It's good to see that even though you are running a loud muffler.. you got some serious juice to whip them ricers with! :)

As for your muff issue.. I'd either recommend running a straight-through muffler somewhere inline on the exhaust system.. or maybe 1 real long or 2 shorter resonators..

I know when I do my 3sgte swap I'm going to look at the JDM stock exhaust system and try to copy that as good as possible.. I want a really quiet exhaust system.. even if I loose a few horsepower.. Losing 5-10hp isn't that bad if you got a dead silent system.. no reason in attracting more cops than necessary huh :)

Btw, got any info on that 3sgte? What turbo did you go with to run 15PSI and did you have to do any engine mods to safely run 15? Did the stock 3sgte (i assume you are running jspec) ECU/fuel system handle it?

Slider
01-21-2005, 06:52 AM
Slider, I have a magnaflow currently. Is a resonator the same as a silencer that is on Ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7948674824&category=33636

No a resonator is different. A resonator is usually placed usually placed less than a foot away from the cat.

http://www.sromagazine.com/photopost/data/3285/1undercar_exhaust.JPG

you can also see it here: http://www.spmotorsports.com/img/exhaust_dsm_magnaflow_0003eclipse.jpg it's right at the beginning of the exhaust

A nice long resonator should quiet down your exhaust and not effect your performance.

Also a twin loop muffler is really quiet and flows really well.