View Full Version : Best hood to buy?

01-18-2005, 09:59 PM
Just wondering what is the difference between the hood you see on the st205 and the hood you see on the st185?
Are the hood built for a certain reason? or are they just different looks.
I like the hood for the st205 but the reason I ask is because It don't have a scope and I am afraid that rain might leak into the engine bay.

01-18-2005, 10:19 PM
Both the CS 185 and the 205 had vents instead of scoops because they had WTA intercoolers, unlike the standard 185 which had an ATA intercooler.

01-18-2005, 11:43 PM
So either one is ok? It won't cost any harm in anyway?
Like incase rain gets into the intercooler, or engine because I think 185 didn't have wta intercooler. Just checking incase a certain hood is for a certain intercooler.

01-18-2005, 11:50 PM
A certain hood IS for a certain intercooler. The incorrect hood will not provide adequate cooling.

I haven't ever heard of water harming something in the engine bay unless there is already an existing problem (distributor and ignition problems come to mind). If you're worried, I'm sure you could block the hole up (but then the hood will only be an aesthetic mod).

01-20-2005, 01:49 AM
water would cool the i/c more, so it would be a good thing to get water in the i/c if its air to air

01-20-2005, 04:59 AM
Ok let me make this simple for ya.

If you have a 3SGTE with a top mount intercooler, air to air version, get the regular Alltrac/GT-Four hood (large scoop).

If you have a 3SGTE with a top mount intercooler, water to air version (like on the ST185RC, or an ST205 IC), get the CS/RC hood (large vent).

If you don't have a 3SGTE, or if you are running an FMIC, get whichever you think looks better. It would be a better idea to use the CS hood in this case because it will vent a lot of the hot air from the engine bay and keep your engine bay temps down.

Water touching anything in the engine bay (anything that would possible get water on it with either hood) will not hurt anything unless, as Hooligan already said, you had some sort of ignition or electrical problem already.

01-20-2005, 05:55 PM
Thanks you guys