PDA

View Full Version : Coolant Leak

aballz
09-25-2006, 10:26 PM
Does a coolant leak always = a bad gasket or radiator? Or should we bring it to a mechanic to diagnose. My friends car was overheating and i saw some coolant on the floor when it was parked. I also saw some coolant on top of the radiator around the hole where you put the coolant in. It's a 93 Civic SI. I know this doesn't pertain to a celica but any information would be useful! Thanks.

Hookecho
09-26-2006, 12:02 AM
if it overheated then the pressure pushed the coolant from the reservoir. it usually can make a little bit of a mess and you may see coolant on top of the radiator if there was enough pressure to break the seal on the cap. i would just refill the radiator and go on about your business. if you have anymore problems then post.

alltracman78
09-26-2006, 12:54 AM
Easy there....

If there is coolant on the outside of the rad, either the cap isn't on tight, or there's a problem.
It should never "break the seal".
When the pressure becomes more than the system is designed for, it vents to the overflow tank.
If the overflow tank gets full, it flows out to the ground.
That is the ONLY time you should be able to see coolant....
And even then, that's a bit extreme.

*Basically, you are correct.
Either a bad gasket, or a cracked part, such as rad or coolant elbow.
Also, there is a weep hole in the water pump, so when the bearings start to go bad, it leaks out from there. This means it's time to replace the water pump.*

aballz
09-26-2006, 06:27 AM
After a further look, the coolant isn't coming out from the cap of the radiator...it's more like the top of the radiator where the fan is. Looks like the seal on top of the radiator is somehow overflowing because thats where i see the mess. It's all around the edges.

Dr.Auto
09-26-2006, 07:18 AM
the plastic tank on the radiator is probibly cracked. Probibly needs a new radiator.

aballz
09-27-2006, 06:22 AM
Thanks for the info, i'll update this as soon as we get a mechanic to look at it.