PDA

View Full Version : Burning Rubber smell

Chris
09-25-2006, 03:46 PM
Today as I was coming on the highway to class I had to push my car to 80-85 in 5th gear, putting my rpms to almost 4000. I kept it at there for a couple miles and noticed this burning rubber smell coming into the cab. After I slowed down and got into town a couple minutes later the smell had gone away. The car has leaky valve stems, burns a bit of oil at startup, but aside from that there's nothing up with it. Does anyone have any idea as to what could be the cause of this?

Luis C
09-25-2006, 04:19 PM
Rubber? my bet goes to a stuck brake pad

Chris
09-25-2006, 04:52 PM
Maybe? I wasn't braking, but I can see what you mean. It seems to happen when I press my engine hard, however. Could it have been the cold (50 to 60) degree air?

Gary
09-25-2006, 05:29 PM
Are you sure it's from your car? Not from other car, truck or somewhere along that highway? Does the smell persist?

balagast
09-25-2006, 05:56 PM
i'd check your belts ... easy to do and if they are getting loose they'll rub and start to smell.

Chris
09-25-2006, 07:01 PM
Belts might be it. Yeah, I was alone this time, usually when I smell it I check the cars around me just to make sure it's not mine, but this time it was just me. My belts don't seem to sqeak or anything, they are old though. Same OEM belts that came with the car, I believe.

aballz
09-25-2006, 10:37 PM
Wow the original belts?

MCcelica
09-26-2006, 04:07 AM
Same OEM belts that came with the car, I believe.

I really hope not.

KoreanJoey
09-26-2006, 07:25 AM
Timing Belt and Serpentine Belt should be done anyways then.

Chris
09-26-2006, 07:36 AM
I really hope not.

Maybe one replacement, I dunno. My parents were great at changing the oil when they drove it, they changed it every 3,000 miles. However, coolant and other stuff was still the same stuff that was put in the car in Japan. Just out of curiosity, could these belts really last that long? And if they did, does that put my motor in danger?

Timing Belt and Serpentine Belt should be done anyways then.

Yeah, might as well change them now.

T-spoon
09-26-2006, 06:37 PM
Maybe one replacement, I dunno. My parents were great at changing the oil when they drove it, they changed it every 3,000 miles. However, coolant and other stuff was still the same stuff that was put in the car in Japan. Just out of curiosity, could these belts really last that long? And if they did, does that put my motor in danger?

Yeah, might as well change them now.

Danger? Only risking losing the belt and sitting on the side of the road after the battery is expended.

davmac
09-27-2006, 02:52 AM
92 GT even if it has low miles and no oil leaks is living on borrowed time with respect to the belts. Antifreeze, timing belt, accessory belts, tranny fluid appropriate to auto or manual are all overdue on a 14 year old car. Do the work yourself and you'll save a ton of money and can consider it "bonding" time with your car. Have fun with your car and good luck with your maintenance.

Chris
09-27-2006, 07:54 AM
92 GT even if it has low miles and no oil leaks is living on borrowed time with respect to the belts. Antifreeze, timing belt, accessory belts, tranny fluid appropriate to auto or manual are all overdue on a 14 year old car. Do the work yourself and you'll save a ton of money and can consider it "bonding" time with your car. Have fun with your car and good luck with your maintenance.

Thanks, I've replaced the tranny fluid but need to do antifreeze and the belts. I've found out the belts have been replaced at least once in the last 14 years.

kenaneu
09-27-2006, 08:46 PM
How's your clutch?

Does it slip much? I have a 90 corolla SR5 with 205,500 miles on the original clutch, and if I rev it over 4k, even though you can't easily tell, it slips and you can smell it burning.

Not saying the belts thought couldn't be right (and definitely helpful!) but with the age and mileage on your car, and the symptoms you described, it reminded me of the clutch on my corolla.

Chris
09-28-2006, 01:21 AM
Well, the clutch was replaced about 30k back. The underside of the belt is worn, and there is a hole in the firewall where we had to run my amp power cable through, maybe it's just engine smell and coming in through there when the engine's pushed hard?

Btw, the PCV (EGR?) valve was changed today, odd fit, it's one of the green ones. Original was pretty clean, except for a small dab of smudge. Looking to get a new battery, seeing as how I have an amp, satellite radio, and now Silverstars headlights running on it, whenever I push my sub real high I can see the headlights dim, heh.