PDA

View Full Version : Is there a technique to bleeding the brakes?

inbowns
09-25-2006, 12:13 PM
I have a 1991 Celica GTS over the weekend I changed the master cylinder and two brake hoses and after bleeding the brakes it's still spongy. They don't seem it get hard like prior to me changing these parts. Does anyone know a method to bleed the brakes correctly. Also I have ABS.

Thanks in advance.

tankd0g
09-25-2006, 01:09 PM
The best thing to do it power bleed them with something like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-MOTIVE-POWER-BRAKE-BLEEDER-EUROPEAN-CARS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43998QQihZ015QQite mZ250031971064QQrdZ1

I made my own with a bug sprayer. Since we don't have threaded resevoir caps you have to make something out of a flat peice of metal, a peice of chain and and inner tube, I can show you a picture of mine if you want to make one.

extremeskillz
09-25-2006, 01:23 PM
with the help of a friend, you start from the farthest brake from the cylinder. This will be the passenger rear. Bleed that first and make sure you have constant fluid in the cylinder or you will continue to add air to the system. Work your way from passenger rear, driver rear, passenger front, driver front and make sure you get a constant flow of brake fluid before continuing on. This is how i did mine because i upgrade my brake system with cross drilled and slotted rotors with S.S. Brake lines. came out well and i feel much better response

tankd0g
09-25-2006, 03:09 PM
If you do it this way, the "regular way" that is, also pump the brake pedal or you'll never get the rear ones flushed.

extremeskillz
09-25-2006, 05:50 PM
^obviously you need to pump the brake while doing it. Thats y i said have a friend help u

tankd0g
09-25-2006, 05:56 PM
Then I guess you'd really need two friends, one to pump the brakes, one to add fluid, one to opent he bleed screws and watch for the bubbles.

The power bleeder replaces need to pump the brakes and also keeps the res. full so it's worth having one if you are going to be doing it alot. I have to do mine just about every other weekend so it sure made my life easier.

alltracman78
09-26-2006, 12:56 AM
What you all missed is he needs to bleed the master cylinder too.....

MrWOT
09-26-2006, 02:12 AM
You guys make this WAY too complicared :| Go get some tall glasses,pitchers,vases,etc and fill it with brake fluid about half way to the top, make sure it holds a good 3/4 qt minimum. Now take a piece of vacuum hose, slip it over the end of the bleed screw on you caliper and run the other end down to the VERY BOTTOM of your cup/vase/etc. Open up the bleed valves and pump away, full depression on each pump. All the air will bleed to the top of the glass, and it will suck in the fluid from the cup. TADA! ;)

alltracman78
09-26-2006, 03:12 AM
He will still need to bleed the master cyl.....

Once the master cyl is bled, start at the caliper furthest from the master cyl, bleed, move to the next closest, bleed, ect, ect.

tankd0g
09-26-2006, 04:44 AM
You guys make this WAY too complicared :| Go get some tall glasses,pitchers,vases,etc and fill it with brake fluid about half way to the top, make sure it holds a good 3/4 qt minimum. Now take a piece of vacuum hose, slip it over the end of the bleed screw on you caliper and run the other end down to the VERY BOTTOM of your cup/vase/etc. Open up the bleed valves and pump away, full depression on each pump. All the air will bleed to the top of the glass, and it will suck in the fluid from the cup. TADA! ;)

How the hell would that work? You'll pump all the fluid out of your master cylinder and into the cups.

tankd0g
09-26-2006, 04:47 AM
He will still need to bleed the master cyl.....

Once the master cyl is bled, start at the caliper furthest from the master cyl, bleed, move to the next closest, bleed, ect, ect.

Bleed the MC? I'm starting to think some people here have difference brake systems than I do. How do you bleed your MC?

tankd0g
09-26-2006, 04:49 AM
By the way, this is the one I copied when I made mine, note how the cap is secured with the wing nuts and chain http://img.inkfrog.com/pix/trackhaus/mp_0101_l.jpg

MrWOT
09-26-2006, 05:09 AM
How the hell would that work? You'll pump all the fluid out of your master cylinder and into the cups.

Correct, the idea is to displace all the existing fluid and air in the line and once you release the pedal, it gets sucked back into the lines via the hose at the bottom of the cup, where there is no air ;)

tankd0g
09-26-2006, 05:16 AM
Correct, the idea is to displace all the existing fluid and air in the line and once you release the pedal, it gets sucked back into the lines via the hose at the bottom of the cup, where there is no air ;)

Ah yes I see that would work so long as you don't let the MC run dry. Must take a couple bottles of fluid though.

MrWOT
09-26-2006, 05:39 AM
I get 2 of the large (don't remember the oz) bottles of valvoline synth dot3/4, costs about $14 for the pair and leaves me with a rock solid pedal :) IMHO good brakes are worth more then any other part of the car, esp when you need them.

helipos
09-29-2006, 11:27 AM
Can i just point out a interesting site. Beware that it probably has a commercial bias on its articles.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/tech_white_papers.shtml

Regards Helipos

inbowns
10-06-2006, 03:50 PM
I found out what the problem with my brakes and why they were so spongy. The idiot who sold me the master cylinder sold me one for a ST model. Gee you know I told him I have a GT-S with ABS you think that might ring a bell. Anyhow I'm getting a new master cylinder lets see how far that goes, but if you are sold a product and it doesn't seem like the part you are replacing google the part number and find out if it's what really belongs on you car. Some of these parts guys aren't the smartest people on earth.