PDA

View Full Version : 91 celica--------questions

bmaxbox
09-24-2006, 08:52 AM
I'm 15. Alwase wanted a celica. Found a great deal on a 91 celica st. Has 156k miles. Manual. And blah blah you know the rest. All that needs to be done is a new front left fender.left corner light. And a paintjob since the the paint is freaking ugly and has faded terribly. Good interior. engine, trans, all good (they say)...

Is this a good buy? I dont know how good the celicas engines where back then. How long they last.. I've hurd pretty good things so far. Saw some lasted until they hit 240k.. 230k..Then they swaped.
I'm a teen into the sporty ricy look i guess. But none if those gay underlights and lime green paintjobs. Thats where it goes to far.. Yeah I have some more questions but i'll let ya awnser these first- Thanks

Fuelish
09-24-2006, 11:52 PM
Is this a good buy? How much $$$ are you talkin' ??? Take into account you're also thinkin' of replacing fender and a whole car paintjob....you're talking something more than just a couple hundred $$$, there alone. Only you can be the judge if it's a "good buy" to you. Give up more info/pics (???) and perhaps the more knowledgeable here (I ain't one of 'em ;) ) will give their ops. Cheers !!!

Cavanagh
09-25-2006, 03:16 AM
word^^^ also, if its anything over 800-1000, IMO...no...BUT it does sound like a good starter/project car.

Murgatroy
09-25-2006, 03:32 AM
We need to know asking price.

Is it rusted? What does the underside look like? Why does the fender and corner light need replaced? How bad of a wreck was it in?

Toyotas are bulletproof if taken care of. If it needs a little TLC that is okay, but as a rule of thumb, if you have to put as much into the car as you pay for it, you aren't getting that great of a deal.

aballz
09-25-2006, 06:13 AM
Agreed with all the above. Do you have a picture or the link of the car that's being sold?

bmaxbox
09-25-2006, 11:20 PM
Hey, well He's asking 750 and wont go lower. Body kit-fenders-paintjob will cost more than the car. But I have a cousin that paints. All i need to do is buy paint.and a couple clear cotes. So it wont be expensive at all.

I'm not sure why the car has The messed up fender. Thats the only place on the car that needs to me replaced. I guess the driver would of had to drive into somthin while she was turning..

Do these celicas run good? i know its a little engine and all but are they ok?

Like i said i'm 15. I have awhile till i get my licence. part time job. I think this will be a good project car. There is hardly anyrust if there is any.

Things i would want to get--
*bodykit
*Wheels (ebay rocks)
*cf hood if not cf atleast a vented one
*wing (do you guys no of any nonstock that look nice on celicas?)
*paintjob
*And other small stuff- not important.

I think were looking at around 1500 for accesories. So talk to me.. give me some advise.

Thanks guys

Cavanagh
09-25-2006, 11:33 PM
Sounds good to me. ;) except when the motor goes ka-poo...throw a 3sgte in it....done deal hehe....just uh...mabye you'll want some suspension work...they handle like none other.

aballz
09-26-2006, 06:33 AM
5th gen celica engines tend to be pretty strong as long as you take care of her with regular maintenance. As for being a good project car..it's only good if you intend to swap it with a 3sgte. And that'll cost a little bit of money. But hey, you're only 15 and w/o a license. The opportunities are endless at your age!

ciento44
09-26-2006, 06:38 AM
ixnay on the odykitbay.

But that's a decent price if those two things are really all it needs. :)

I say get.

andy
09-26-2006, 06:52 AM
get the cs hood and front bumper instead of a body kit. but if do want a body kit, the ebruni lip kit looks best to me. oh and get a stock wing, the GTS ones look really good IMO. either way, I got my celica 3 month after i turned sixteen. now im almost 21 , its been great the whole way, i wouldnt want any other car. I bought my 91 gt for 2300 BTW. so 750 for a st is awsome. I just finished my 3sgte swap, and dear god its sweat ass. I am now celica for life, I want a 77 to complete my odd generation collection.
1st,3rd,5th, I cant afford a 7th yet.
uh well
CELICA FTW!

bmaxbox
09-26-2006, 08:03 PM
Thanks.. Yeah I really want to get it... Store it in our garage. Work on it in there. Now all i got to do is convince my mom into letting me buy it. Haha
Hey andy. how many miles did you have on the regular motor befor you swaped it?

v1ct0r
09-30-2006, 11:14 PM
Well while bmaxbox is asking questions i figured i'd ask a quick question instead of making a new thread. i'm looking into getting an intake for my 91 celica gt. What's the best way to get one? thanks

Hiko
10-01-2006, 04:20 AM
ixnay on the odykitbay.

But that's a decent price if those two things are really all it needs. :)

I say get.

:stupid:

I sounds like a good buy if your cousin can help you with painting it. But why get a bodykit when you can make your car look likes this...
http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/photopost/data/514/CNV00004.JPG

That's all stock and looking sexy :bigthumbu

Oh, and to the guy above this post, make your own intake with a k&n or go ebay. Best I've heard out there for intakes is an Iceman intake, but they are out of production and pricey when you find one.

Murgatroy
10-01-2006, 09:43 AM
Well while bmaxbox is asking questions i figured i'd ask a quick question instead of making a new thread. i'm looking into getting an intake for my 91 celica gt. What's the best way to get one? thanks
Search the main site and you will find many posts on this subject in many different places. There are as many opinions about them as there are ways to make them yourself or purchase.

85gtsblackman
10-01-2006, 10:12 AM
my 1st 4afe went for 215k

2nd was crap, didnt even put 30k on it

3rd is still going with over 150k on it

this is back when i had my 91 stx

90CelicaST
10-01-2006, 04:44 PM
I agree with Hiko, except I prefer the All Trac hood. For the rest of the car though, I would throw some side skirts and a rear bumper(preferably the sides and rear from an Erebuni kit) with a lip on the Carlos Sainz edition front bumper.

GlHlOST
10-01-2006, 09:26 PM
:stupid:

I sounds like a good buy if your cousin can help you with painting it. But why get a bodykit when you can make your car look likes this...
http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/photopost/data/514/CNV00004.JPG

That's all stock and looking sexy :bigthumbu

Oh, and to the guy above this post, make your own intake with a k&n or go ebay. Best I've heard out there for intakes is an Iceman intake, but they are out of production and pricey when you find one.

OK wat are those 2 little things on the bumper in front of the headlights?? any1 know?? annnnnnnnd, Where can I get a CS front bumper??? realli need 1.

90CelicaST
10-02-2006, 12:11 AM
1sttoyotaparts.com or your local Toyota dealership

GlHlOST
10-02-2006, 01:11 AM
I searched 1sttoyota, but without a part number I am finding it impossible to find an RC bumper or any specific bumper for that matter... Any part numbers?
And does any1 know what those little things are in front of the headlights?

bmaxbox
10-03-2006, 05:28 AM
I was thinking of getting the INVADER bodykit.. Looks nice and i can get it way cheaper than others. Fenders... Are they called z3 fenders? Ebay can help me out with those two things. Other than that. The last thing would be the hood and wing. And later i will get some rims. But cant afford everything right now.
I noticed the engine in it looks freaking weak. 103hp on autotrader... 1.6L? Holy crap.
What engines can i use in this that wouldnt be to hard to swap...Thanks.

gt4wannabe
10-03-2006, 05:34 AM
you could use 4AGE 20Valve on that chassis a lot easier than if you were to try and swap 3sgte.

bmaxbox
10-03-2006, 05:36 AM
Are there diff-non celica engines i can put in? Mabye some honda-nissan engine? Vtec? I'm a noob on mostly everything. Bare with me, only 15 and trying to learn.. The only thing i work on is our 91 chevy caprise classic. 350- 5.7L yeah... monster.

gt4wannabe
10-03-2006, 05:40 AM
those 4AGE's are pretty bad ass motors for being small and reliable!!! i believe 170HP ITB (Individual Throttle Bodies) HEHEH TORQUE MONSTER! yea right 4 banger! :)

gt4wannabe
10-03-2006, 05:41 AM
there are i believe but its going to cost you a lot more than what it would cost you to drop in a 4AGE... i'll tell ya man a 4AGE black Top 20 Valve ITB motor in a light ST celica chassis holy man you'll be messing with those CRX/CIVIC Swap with B18C1's :)

Slider
10-03-2006, 06:19 AM
Personally I would go with wheels, springs and shocks first. Bodykit won't look too hot when you have a ton of wheel gap, plus your car will handle a lot better with new springs and shocks since I'm guessing the car is still on the OEM shocks. First fix whatever is wrong with the car before you start doing mods. Good luck.

GlHlOST
10-03-2006, 06:34 AM
Are there diff-non celica engines i can put in? Mabye some honda-nissan engine? Vtec? I'm a noob on mostly everything. Bare with me, only 15 and trying to learn.. The only thing i work on is our 91 chevy caprise classic. 350- 5.7L yeah... monster.
Nissan maybe... Please do not ever mention putting anything Honda in a Toyota again... Please... K THNX :bigthumbu

andy
10-03-2006, 07:32 AM
I had 198xxx on my 5sfe and it was still running great.

bmaxbox
10-03-2006, 08:30 PM
Hey, what engine is in the 91 celica st.. Is it the 3sfe? IS there anything to build up that engine and get it more powerfull? Can you list all things i could do to it? Thanks for helpin me.

GlHlOST
10-03-2006, 08:42 PM
no, its a 4afe. Not too many mods I know of but if you look I'm sure you'll find some...

Slider
10-03-2006, 09:00 PM
Hey, what engine is in the 91 celica st.. Is it the 3sfe? IS there anything to build up that engine and get it more powerfull? Can you list all things i could do to it? Thanks for helpin me.

You can do a few simple bolt on mods, like intake, exhaust work, timing advance.

You could also turbo it, check out the Forced Induction forum, a few people have done it.

GlHlOST
10-03-2006, 09:03 PM
but its not a 3sfe... 4afe

bmaxbox
10-03-2006, 09:41 PM
Ok.. Never installed a turbo exept for some sweet xbox and pc games. Will this help out normal driving or just the track, thanks

Gotta mow my lawn..haha

GlHlOST
10-03-2006, 10:01 PM
well it depends wat you mean by improve driving? If you r wonderin if it'll be faster, then yes.... Better gas milage? negative...

bmaxbox
10-03-2006, 10:33 PM
Gas mileage isnt a huge concern because its a 1.6L... But i'm looking for acceleration and torque. I think your term "faster" says that. Thanks.. now off to search that

Cavanagh
10-03-2006, 11:54 PM
GHOST, search CS bumper, theres a thread i started about it and the part number for 1sttoyotaparts is in that thread.

GlHlOST
10-03-2006, 11:59 PM
ok Caveman, I noticed that ur post had nuthing to do with this thread and is relative to my numerous posts elsewhere, so I just wanted to clear this up b4 ppl come in here claiming "thread jacking and non-relevance"
Thnx Caveman, greatly appreciated

Cavanagh
10-04-2006, 12:04 AM
Np, just one thing...Im not a Caveman. :hehe: Cavanagh. LOL ok back to the topic.