PDA

View Full Version : CLEANING Rims

broderp
09-23-2006, 02:23 AM
Just like the topic states.....How?

I just bought (and received today! :happyrun: :happyrun: my new rims and tires, but looking at my old GT rims and the fact I hardly ever got to clean the parts I couldn't see, they are black and permanently dirty.

Is there something I can spray or paint on the inside to keep brake dust from building up and ruining these new rims?

Can I paint them with clear arcrylic paint (auto paint in a spray can) then coat them with some teflon coated wheel cleaner?

I babied my GT rims, and they still chipped, paint come off and eventually seem stained because of brake dust.

Someone suggested CERAMIC brakes would also help .

What does the board think???

Sean
09-23-2006, 03:36 AM
Are they polished, are they painted, what are they?

Just routinely keep them clean/polished/ and a coat of wax. Thats about it. Stoner/Dupont do make a clean wheel paint, dont know much about it though.

Galcobar
09-23-2006, 04:32 AM
Rule 1: No acidic wheel cleaners.

Waxing your wheels (assuming they're painted) is as good a protection there as it is for the rest of your car. If brake dust does embed itself, clay bar or a polish should remove the problem.

Polished/machined/chrome wheels, lacking a clearcoat, should be polished with an appropriate compound that includes a protective element.

Keeping brake dust from staining your wheels is a matter of regular maintenance.

broderp
09-23-2006, 06:04 AM
Sorry, the rims are 2000-2005 stock GTS 16" rims.

The outside is smooth, and will get several coats of wax, but the inside feels more 'machines' with ribs. like those you see on the bottom of an aluminum frying pan! Waxing her would be difficult, and I was thinking of painting them with clear to make the surface smoother and able accept wax, but they have tires already, and I'm lazy and poor... :slap:

I bought some cleaner with TEFLON, which they claim will protect the rims. (DU PONT Teflon Wheel Cleaner)

RB

Blackcloud
09-24-2006, 03:55 AM
shouldnt this be in wash and wax?

broderp
09-24-2006, 04:12 PM
I didn't see the WASH and WAX section, and now that I see it it probably does, but hardly any action goes on in there.

seems to me we have too many "sub" topics here, I get lost most of the time trying to find somethig I read earlier theres so many topics etc....

I also still haven't figured out how to get back to the HOME page and visti the BGB section.....cause I see no link to it from the forum, and selecting home form here only sends me back to the top layer of the forum.

:wtf:

Sorry for my probable posting in the wrong thread or section. Sorry for ranting about my inability to find anything twice in a row,, now part of this post belongs in the "complain about the forum/web/can't find/opinions" section. :laugh:

caneman
09-24-2006, 04:41 PM
seems to me we have too many "sub" topics here, I get lost most of the time trying to find somethig I read earlier theres so many topics etc....
I also still haven't figured out how to get back to the HOME page and visti the BGB section.....cause I see no link to it from the forum, and selecting home form here only sends me back to the top layer of the forum.
A good way to find all of the latest posts, regardless of what forum they're located in, is to click on "New Posts" up above, just under the Welcome (your ID) message.

Whenever you find a page that you would like to revisit often without having to hunt for it, use your browser to create a shortcut for it. This includes specific threads with information you want to save without having to hunt for later.

Create a folder in your Bookmarks called CelicaTech or something and store your favorite shortcuts for this site there. I've got subfolders for BGB's, brakes, suspension, paint, etc. After you've spent a little time doing this, it'll be a simple click-and-go everytime you come here and whenever you find a topic you're interested in saving, you'll just create a shortcut for it and thereby build a good reference library in your Favorites folder.

Fuelish
09-24-2006, 11:57 PM
Create a folder in your Bookmarks called CelicaTech or something and store your favorite shortcuts for this site there. After you've spent a little time doing this, it'll be a simple click-and-go everytime you come here and whenever you find a topic you're interested in saving, you'll just create a shortcut for it and thereby build a good reference library in your Favorites folder. Amen !!! :cool:

lavy_gts
09-25-2006, 12:19 AM
use a dry rag, works wonders if you maintain them

angryyoungnpoor
09-25-2006, 09:27 PM

www.celicatech.com .... come on now! Also in the yellow bar at the top.. the first button is the home button.

broderp
09-26-2006, 02:22 AM
www.celicatech.com .... come on now! Also in the yellow bar at the top.. the first button is the home button.

I don't have a yellow bar at the top, and the CelicaTech.com logo just reloads the forum. :wtf:

I have it saved as a favorite, it's my only way to get there, from here! :ugh: