PDA

View Full Version : 4th gear pull - SR20DET vs GTS swap

Trance4c
09-21-2006, 03:45 PM
My roommate and I have gotten his car together, he was feeling pretty cocky that 'I'll have a rude awakening', but I told him that I just didn't think it was going to be that fast.

He has a tuned ECU, ball bearing T28, full 3" exhaust and 14psi on the stock 370cc injectors (holly lean batman! I think hes going to blow it up) with a walbro 255 fuel pump, GReddy front mount intercooler and gutted interior (he claimes 2450lbs). He also questions that there is a mild intake cam in it as well.

We did a 4th gear pull from 70mph to 125mph. By the end of it, my door was at his rear wheels.

My setup is a stock JDM ECU, 2.5" crush exhaust, 60-1 CT26, 14psi with a budget Isuzu NPR FMIC setup on a Supra fuel pump. No cams (yet).

Even though he beat me, it took him the whole gear to barely inch by me, amazingly.. he needs a 3" exhaust and tuned ECU just to do that! Amazing... :thumbsdow

Next.. I rape him, full 3" exhaust and 264 cam setup.. I'll even stay on the stock ECU. lol! Bottom line - the swap rocks! w00t

gt4wannabe
09-21-2006, 07:53 PM
put it on video next time so we can see it!! :)

Sean
09-21-2006, 11:11 PM
Sounds like a fun brotherly battle! Its good to have people to push you, it furthers one self, as well as the sport of modifying cars! Or is it the male ego in which defeat is the antithesis of a successful day.

jason
10-05-2006, 10:17 PM
good to hear an answer posted to this often-asked question! Just outta curiosity, did you choose 4th gear at such a low speed to compare spool characteristics? I'm just wondering because a full run at individually chosen gears might have yielded different results.

Cavanagh
10-06-2006, 12:10 AM
Rb26dett>sr20det

but damn....sr20s are soooo common, its seems like everytime you see a 240 nowadays, you just expect it to have a sr20. but......3sgte>sr20 IMO, its just that the SR has more aftermarket support.

gt4wannabe
10-06-2006, 03:10 AM
Rb26dett>sr20det

but damn....sr20s are soooo common, its seems like everytime you see a 240 nowadays, you just expect it to have a sr20. but......3sgte>sr20 IMO, its just that the SR has more aftermarket support.

Yup i'd agree if only the 3SGTE had as much aftermarket support as SR20DET's and 4G63T's maaaan........ And IMO 3SGTE PWNS 4G63T/SR20DET

Cavanagh
10-06-2006, 03:28 AM
Yup i'd agree if only the 3SGTE had as much aftermarket support as SR20DET's and 4G63T's
wow....i can't even imagaine the ownage that would be dished out to everyone....

mtp_69_i
10-06-2006, 03:34 AM
Rb26dett>sr20det

dude, those motors aren't anywhere near being in the same league.

it's like comparing a 2jzgtte with a 3sgte.

The SR20 is a sweet motor, there's a little pocket rocket called a Nissan Pulsar GTIR here in Oz (dunno if you've got it).

SR20DET, AWD, weighs about 1000kg, ABS etc etc. Very very tunable.

They've been known to scare a few RB powered Skylines before...

MrWOT
10-06-2006, 03:35 AM
Blame Toyota for not putting one in the celica stock (except the alltrac). If they had put the 3SGTE as an engine choice for the reg celica, it WOULD have that kind of popularity today.

85gtsblackman
10-06-2006, 04:16 AM
and the celica probally wouldnt have died

Trance4c
10-06-2006, 01:52 PM
good to hear an answer posted to this often-asked question! Just outta curiosity, did you choose 4th gear at such a low speed to compare spool characteristics? I'm just wondering because a full run at individually chosen gears might have yielded different results.

4th gear starting at 75mph, probably around 3800RPM start. It had nothing to do with spool and low speed comparison. We ran all the way up to about 125-130mph. That is a full 4th gear pull and a very equal one at that to make a comparison of both cars. Most dyno pulls alone are done in that gear as well. It was done on purpose and as Sean said, this is my roommate, my friend, this is a good battle, not one were we both wanted to just romp on our cars and beat on them for one another.

ciento44
10-06-2006, 04:45 PM
Rb26dett>sr20det

I used to expect it too... but now KA24Ts are popping up everywhere... as well as the occasional VG30DETT swap (FREAK NASTY BTW), and there's a bunch of different RB swaps around here... The RB always throws me for a loop though, it just sounds sooo... weird. Damn thing sounds like a vaccuum.

jason
10-06-2006, 09:10 PM
4th gear starting at 75mph, probably around 3800RPM start. It had nothing to do with spool and low speed comparison. We ran all the way up to about 125-130mph. That is a full 4th gear pull and a very equal one at that to make a comparison of both cars. Most dyno pulls alone are done in that gear as well. It was done on purpose and as Sean said, this is my roommate, my friend, this is a good battle, not one were we both wanted to just romp on our cars and beat on them for one another.

I understand that it's a good battle and wasn't an accident. Nobody's saying otherwise. I was simply asking because a 4th gear pull leaves out three lower gears and doesn't show which car is quicker overall, just faster in 4th gear. You could have raped him from a lower speed/gear is what I'm getting at though I understand you didn't want to run it aggressively. Anyway, what tranny you running?

Cavanagh
10-06-2006, 09:34 PM
I used to expect it too... but now KA24Ts are popping up everywhere... as well as the occasional VG30DETT swap (FREAK NASTY BTW), and there's a bunch of different RB swaps around here... The RB always throws me for a loop though, it just sounds sooo... weird. Damn thing sounds like a vaccuum.

The is the VG30DETT?? What car is it from? Enlighten me Cient. ;)

Ka's are becoming popular...but most that come with the car are usually 150k mi or usually more than that.

lburner
10-06-2006, 10:05 PM

Ka's are becoming popular...but most that come with the car are usually 150k mi or usually more than that.

the 300zxtt

ciento44
10-06-2006, 10:29 PM

150k is nothing to a KA. They're just getting broken in at that point...

The VG30DETT is the 3.0litre V6 Twin Turbo engine that came in the Z32 300zx Twin Turbo. Nasty swap. I personally like that engine more than the RB26. It's MUCH harder to fit... but... yeah. I like it.

I'm still rather mad about that whole situation that happened with mine. :( I will have another one someday.

Cavanagh
10-06-2006, 10:37 PM
Dude, you fucked up on that one im not gunna lie.

ciento44
10-06-2006, 11:24 PM
Dude, you fucked up on that one im not gunna lie.

Ermmm.... not so much. Seller flaked out, and i flat didn't have the $3500 at that exact time to finish paying for the damn thing, and getting it driveable so i could get the celica off the road. I ended up sinking about $1000 of that into the Celica the day of flaking out by her.

Trust me, no one was madder than me, considering i had to cancel my order of $1800 worth of wheels and tires for the damn thing, and pay shipping to send the stuff back to TireRack. Was not fun. Nothing like shelling out for 18x10.5 and 18x9.5 wheels and rubber for no reason.

So, at the moment, i'm just looking for a cheap DD, going to do some work to the 3s that's going in Chang, and then by this time next year at the latest, i'll be rocking an Alltrac. Whether ST165 or 185, that reminds to be seen.

Also next summer... working on the 'other' project. This project is why i'm not killing myself over the Z32. The Z would have nothin' on this one when it's done. :)

mtp_69_i
10-07-2006, 01:29 AM
The VG30 is a nice enough motor but it has to be one of the hardest to work on. There is no space under the bonnet and everything is hidden. Personally, the sound of a VG30 is nothing in the wake of an angry RB, those motors breath the fires of hell.

ciento44
10-07-2006, 01:34 AM
The VG30 is a nice enough motor but it has to be one of the hardest to work on. There is no space under the bonnet and everything is hidden. Personally, the sound of a VG30 is nothing in the wake of an angry RB, those motors breath the fires of hell.

Oh trust me... i know, i know. :P Even a clean, tucked VG still even looks scary to work on.

Don't get me wrong, i love the way the RBs sound, they're so smooth, almost sound like a beefier rotary. I just love the VG raspy burble sound. :)