PDA

View Full Version : Information OVERLOAD! Swap, Upgrade? SC, T?

broderp
09-20-2006, 05:04 PM
The time has come to consider upping the performance on my 95GT.

I don't want to create a race machine and I don't want to drop more money than I need.

My car, 100% stock has 135HP and 140Ft-LB of torque. It's pretty peppy.

I'm looking at wanting 160-200HP and 160-200lb-ft torque. I'd like to KEEP my 5A-FE engine if possible, and just ADD to it. I don't have the facility to drop and engine or swap, and if I did here is what I thought:

I have a lead on a 2004 SCION TC front clip. The Engine is 2.4 DOHC, 16valve EFI with VVT-i. It's rated at 161HP @5700RPM and 163lb-ft torque @ 4000RPM. Not too shabby, IF the thing will mount.

As you all know, Toyota offers a TRD SUPERCHARGER kit for this car. This is a bolt on kit that runs off a belt. This would up the HP figure to 200HP and torque to 183lb-ft!!! The only big issue is COST, and the fact I would need to find someplace to allow me to do the swap.

I've read a million posts here on the forum, 3AFE seems the way to go, red hat, black top, electric supercharhers, forced air induction.....

:eek: :eek: INFORMATION OVERLOAD!!! :eek: :eek:

I heard a new cone type filter will get me 5-10HP over the stock air system?

Be kind, I'm a NOOB with all this stuff. Maybe I missed it, but is there such a thing as a BOLT ON Turbo kit or SC for my 5a-FE?

Sean
09-20-2006, 05:16 PM
You should find somebody in your area with a swapped celica, and go for a ride, probably the best way to figure out how much Pep your looking for.

Also, your engine codes are all wrong :hehe: no worries though!

Off to take a test, more later.

bloodredgt
09-20-2006, 05:30 PM
I think you have a 5SFE man. Not a 5AFE. There's a way you can piece together a turbo kit to bolt up to the 5SFE but it requires a lot of work and attention. Plus you have to watch out for people who would try and scam you when you're looking for the parts. There is a place that sells a basic turbo kit for the 5SFE called Burien Toyota. You could check out the site at www.poweredbytoyota.com but I would highly recommend that you not buy from them. You can piece together a complete turbo kit with front mount intercooler and everything for around $1500 including gauges, SAFC, etc.

Since it sounds like you don't know too much about modifying cars, Sean's suggestion of finding a swapped celica and getting a ride would show you how great a 3SGTE swap into a celica is. Although I went the other route of turboing my 5SFE (which I just finished recently and am enjoying a little too much), it's because I had some background and A LOT of help from the guys on this message board. Couldn't have done it without them (yeah yeah don't get all big headed =P).

Sorry for the long post, but reading = knowledge (why couldn't I have known this before college)

btw Sean, your front mount is sooooooo sexy man.

ciento44
09-20-2006, 07:41 PM
Hey man...

I'll probably be the only person to vote this...

But i vote you call Rippmodds, and see if they have any of the 5sfe built superchargers left. I REALLY want to see one of those making their sweet noise in a Celica. 5sfe also seems like the perfect smaller engine for a supercharger, with a pretty broad powerband. Just imagine how many ricers and 'Maros you'd be able to suprise.

You'd probably end up making a little less power than a 3sgte swap, spending a little less money, and having much better driveability.

Just my vote, mostly because it's something that i want to do in the worst way.

broderp
09-20-2006, 09:12 PM
Does Rippmods have a website? Are they in the US?

A bolt on SC would fit my bill perfectly, so long as it's not an arm and a leg n cost! :bigthumbu

RB

Colossus20v
09-20-2006, 09:16 PM
I think it is about 2500-3500 or something like that.

Did you google Rippmods?