PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the PCV system out

zmile06
09-12-2006, 08:51 PM
I have a 93 toyota celica ST, and i need to know how to clean the PCV system out. This may be a stupid question for some people but this is something i have never done and i want information on how to properly do it.

davmac
09-12-2006, 09:50 PM
You rarely need to do more than replace the PCV valve. I would get the PCV valve and other parts from Toyota if you need or want to replace them. Auto part stores typically carry universal parts that are not much cheaper and can be difficult to fit to your car. To service the PCV system you can replace or clean the PCV valve, rubber grommet that holds it in the valve cover and the rubber hose that connects to the intake manifold. You could clean these parts with carb or throttle body cleaner. Replacing all three parts is probably around $20.

PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) system is a spring loaded check valve and rubber tube. Combustion gases that get trapped in the crankcase – this is exhaust gas that blows by the piston rings so it doesn’t simply go out the exhaust pipe – are vented through a valve (usually, though several Toyotas just have a metal tube with no valve) and travel via rubber hose into the intake manifold. The PCV valve or metal tube is in the valve cover and the rubber tube usually is connected to the intake manifold near the throttle body.

alltracman78
09-13-2006, 02:24 AM
Word.

Just replace the grommet/valve/hose.

www.1sttoyotaparts.com