PDA

View Full Version : need vin number

BEAMS
09-10-2006, 06:03 PM
Can i please get a vin number to any 92-93 celica GTS. I need a new front caliper bracket. If you know the GT used the larger caliper bracket and rotor for 92-93 then just give me a vin to any gt.

GlHlOST
09-10-2006, 07:04 PM
you mean the GT stuff is bigger than the GTS stuff? if not, y cant u use ur own VIN #, if so then I can help ryte now cuz my car is at da shop.

BEAMS
09-11-2006, 03:58 PM
No, i mean if the 92-93 GT front brakes are also bigger like the 92-93 GTS then i can just use that vin number. I think the 92+ GT got the larger front brakes but im not sure.

The parts guy at toyota said he needs the vin # to order my front caliper bracket. My celica is a 90, i have 92-93 brakes for the front. So my vin wont work.

BEAMS
09-11-2006, 04:06 PM
NM, Dammit its $92 for a caliper bracket from toyota. :puke:

2kSnakEater
09-11-2006, 04:33 PM
Junk yard ftw!! I just had to buy that same braket that your talking about and it cost me $7 at my local u-pull-it junk yard.

ciento44
09-11-2006, 05:31 PM
No, i mean if the 92-93 GT front brakes are also bigger like the 92-93 GTS then i can just use that vin number. I think the 92+ GT got the larger front brakes but im not sure.

The parts guy at toyota said he needs the vin # to order my front caliper bracket. My celica is a 90, i have 92-93 brakes for the front. So my vin wont work.

You're correct. The 1992-1993 GT also got the larger brakes.

Fuelish
09-11-2006, 06:06 PM
Why do they need the vin number ??? I don't understand (I mean, couldn't you just tell them you need the bracket for 92-92 brake ??? I fail to grasp their need for your vin....but than again, what do I know ??? Perhaps Big Brothert is alive and well... ;) )

T-spoon
09-11-2006, 06:43 PM
Why do they need the vin number ??? I don't understand (I mean, couldn't you just tell them you need the bracket for 92-92 brake ??? I fail to grasp their need for your vin....but than again, what do I know ??? Perhaps Big Brothert is alive and well... ;) )

Sometimes part numbers change. Sometimes there's no real difference, sometimes the two part numbers are not interchangeable without modifications. Since a parts guy at Toyota has no way to be sure what's been done to a car, they'll often want to only sell what's supposed to go there originally because returns suck, and people bitchbitchbitch if it's the wrong part... sooo, working off a VIN number is often greatly preferred. In this case there's no way to do that, getting a random VIN off any 92-93 would completely defeat the purpose of having asked for a VIN in the first place. If you know it's off a 92 say, "I need the bracket from a 92" and see if there are multiple options for it. I hate it when guys call in, "Oh, I need a part for a 93-98 supra. No you don't need more information, they're all the same" :slap: Anyhow...