PDA

View Full Version : Project DSM starts

Luni
09-09-2006, 09:28 PM
You guys remember the 93 Laser TSI AWD that we were rebuilding? Well we finally finished the build last night. We got the engine dumped in, got everything hooked up and it started. The ignition timing is off and its being a pain in the ass to set (on this thing theres a cam angle sensor and if its 180 out its not right, the problem is its hard as hell/impossible too tell if youre out.)

Anyway my very first engine rebuild went successful so far. The most impressive thing about it is we had to move the build from my garage to a freinds garage in the middle of the build and we didnt categorize any of the bolts very well and we were able to find everything and get it all put back together. The harness (all me baby) was connected right the first time.

Anyway just wanted you guys to know that car hasnt died and once we get rid of the initial build gremlins it will be broken in and driven normally.

MrWOT
09-09-2006, 09:41 PM
Congrats :bigthumbu

alltracman78
09-09-2006, 10:21 PM
Yee Ha.
Now you can drive out and race Jay. :D

Luni
09-10-2006, 07:59 AM
Bah, Id beat jays ass in my MR2.

ScottGT-S
09-10-2006, 08:02 AM
have fun with this project car..
i respect dsm's, but I would never have the patients/know-how to keep one running for very long

Luni
09-11-2006, 03:58 PM
Im getting to be at my wits end with it.

Yesterday we were trying to set the ignition timing to no avail so we strip the timing assembly down and line up the marks to check mechanical. It was out. AND the damn cam pulley was bent (got the head shipped to me and it must have been bent during shipping). So we put a different pulley on, and FINALLY (after like at least 10 retries) got the stupid belt on. So start it back up. No change. It still sounds like it has a valvetrain clack to it (but then again it might just be the hydraulic lifters breaking in (this isnt like a toyota).

Anyway still cant get the ignition timing set on it, and I said fuck it, Im revving it and seeing if it spools the damn turbo and it didnt, however he doesnt have a gasket on the turbo to manifold junction, but it should spool that turbo a little bit at least.

We rebuild the entire bottom end and honed the block. New bearings, used PLENTY of assembly lube, low mileage head online (checked it all out and everything worked - minus a bent cam pulley). Car starts right up and all the timing marks are on but we just cant get the ignition timing set.

I dunno. Off to read the DSM boards.

Colossus20v
09-13-2006, 01:30 AM
pictures???