PDA

View Full Version : Ct27 Vs. Gt28rs

GRUMPY514
09-09-2006, 06:18 PM
I realize these turbos might be on two diffrent levels.

Id like to hear from somebody who has one or the other on there celica. 3SGTE.

What do you think about it, HP gain?

Iam trying to decide which path to go for my Daily Driver.

GRUMPY514
09-09-2006, 10:36 PM
anyyyone :)?

angryyoungnpoor
09-09-2006, 11:41 PM
How much power are you looking for?

GT28RS would be a great upgrade. The 27 is also great. I believe the GT gets boost quicker and puts down more power. The 27 is also about.. 1000 or more less in price also.

burnyd
09-10-2006, 01:33 AM
28rs will put you right around 280 to the wheels... just by bolting it on... but obviously youll need a adapter plate + oil lines custom downpipe... all that fun stuff as to where the ct27 just bolts onto the manifold.

If money isnt a issue 28rs is a better turbo. Especially for the dual ball bearings. It hits fully boost immediately.

GRUMPY514
09-10-2006, 02:06 AM
Yeah thought there were places that actully made the kits avaliable for the 3sgte.

CT27 was looking good about a year ago when my turbo blew. Its deff a lot cheap so i might head in that direction.

Friend just threw a Disco patatoe on his 20th Anniversary V dub. Its a kickass turbo no doubt.

Whats the ball park price for the GT28rs for the 3sgte. Basically everything needed included to make it mate to the 3sgte.

CT27 is direct bolt up and power is fair for around 800 bucks. So does anyone here have either or? Ive head a lot of good things about the GT28rs. Not many people have gone for the CT27 that i know of.

Art buddy, dont you know somebody with one of them on a 6th gen perhaps or something like that. Anything 2nd gen 3sgte based.

burnyd
09-10-2006, 02:10 AM
28rs is around 800-1000 new depending on where you get it from. I held Punishers Knock off 28rs and it looked so real. I have put a few on sr20s before and the knock off one looked pretty damn real.

Im against using ats products. I know there a sponsor and what now but Im not going to get into it.

Looking at most of the dynos off of mr2oc the ct27 isnt that great. Unless you have it tuned with some good like nemesis or autronic. The rom tune is too expensive for something you cant tune without having them burn you a rom into the computer.

Just save your money and go 28rs... Its worth the money.

GRUMPY514
09-10-2006, 02:53 AM
800-1000 isnt for the whole kit to make it work though.

Looking for a kit or something to make it mate up to the 3sgte.

Dont want a knock off either. Garrett all the way.

presure2
09-10-2006, 03:50 AM
GT28RS kits run starting around 1900$ depends on where you get it from.
ATS makes them, as well as speedsource, i believe.
if money is no issue, the '28rs is definetly the way to go, faster spool, AND more power.
if you need to pass strict emissions testing, or cant afford to buy or build a full 28rs setup, the '27 is a good option for under 300whp.
it "can" hit 300whp, only with very high boost(for that turbo) and race fuel.
although its not a 3sgte, i've had excellent results outta my ct-27 on my 5sfte.
its performed flawlessly, and given me great power at what i consider low to medium boost >15psi

Lagos
09-10-2006, 04:59 AM
keep in mind that the gt28rs will max out your stock fuel system, so you would have to at the very least upgrade to bigger injectors.

its defienlty the better turbo out of the two. it just depends on your budget.

burnyd
09-10-2006, 07:25 AM
keep in mind that the gt28rs will max out your stock fuel system, so you would have to at the very least upgrade to bigger injectors.

its defienlty the better turbo out of the two. it just depends on your budget.

Not really theres been pretty good success on mr2oc with just the stock fuel system.

And for 1900 bux for a entire kit thats way over kill.

28rs - 800 dollars
adapter plate - custom
oil lines - maybe 60 dollars
custom downpipe from a exhaust shop.. - 150-200 max.....

Might cost you a little over a grand to get that turbo on your car.

MrWOT
09-10-2006, 11:13 AM
Unless you just want a plug and play solution with no real hassles, I wouldn't bother with a CT27. Just doesn't have enough potential to warrant the cost, unless your power goals are only marginally above what a CT26C can put out. (and yes, I'm going to call it that instead of a CT20B, because it's not a CT20, so nyah! :p )

GRUMPY514
09-10-2006, 04:36 PM
Hmmm...

Descisions descisions. I decided a while ago if i was going to upgrade it would be between the CT27 and the GT28RS and not the CT20b.

Realiabilty reasons for the CT20b...Cant find them new and they TOOOOO reliable.

ive heard great things about the GT28rs. So wheel horse power wise what would i be looking at just throwing it on teh car.

Mods done now basically consists of.

3"turbo back
header
Intake
profec B
stage 3 clutch

About all I can think of right now... Anyone fine me a decently priced Kit for our car? It would be a kickass turbo to throw on.

I know somebody on this site had it thrown on but they didnt post all that much.

What size injectors would suffice since my old ones would be maxed out. Also would it not be smart to even put it on before i throw on the injectors?

Stock Fuel system.

Lagos
09-10-2006, 04:42 PM
make sure you have a fmic.

best way to figure out what fuel mods you need is to buy a wide band o2 sensor or go to a dyno right after the turbo upgrade. depending on how much boost you run, and how much power it makes, youll probably have to step up to 550cc supra mk4 injectors.

burnyd
09-10-2006, 04:43 PM
550's and bore out the stock fuel rail yourself it makes the injector size a little bigger.

I said before just throwing it on there on mr2oc there at 280ish to the wheels... so youll be right there at 300hp.

theres a thread on mr2oc called the mr2 owners guide to a gt28rs? If you search for gt28rs you will find the thread.

GRUMPY514
09-10-2006, 04:58 PM
Alright so with the mods i listed 280-300whp?

Traction is going to be fun.

I think this will become a big project. Because i dont want to throw it on there without upgrading the Fuel system first just in case.

FMIC/Fuel upgrades = $1000 :(

Lots and Lots of money eh?

Lagos
09-10-2006, 05:09 PM
you have to pay to play. no way around that.

burnyd
09-10-2006, 05:32 PM
Alright so with the mods i listed 280-300whp?

Traction is going to be fun.

I think this will become a big project. Because i dont want to throw it on there without upgrading the Fuel system first just in case.

FMIC/Fuel upgrades = $1000 :(

Lots and Lots of money eh?

you dont have a front mount... oh dear. yah kind of need one of those. you should be able to get 550's injectors from a supra.. well 4 of them obviously for around 150... .then the whole front moutn setup should cost you around 500 dollars depending on where you take it to to get the pipes bent / intercooler your going to buy. You can find a intercooler that would work decently on your car for around 125-175,pipes... well go to an exhaust shop then your going to need couplers + a bov.... things add up after a while.

to get the turbo on there your going to need
-adapter plate
-oil lines
-custom downpipe

to get the turbo running right.... well more than stock boost wise...
-something to tune with
-I would recommend 550's

oh yah and good luck with your S trans :D

And unfortunately tuning with a 3sgte computer this is little aftermarket support :(. autonic,hydra nemesis....... hydra nemesis is a good price for everything it does. I am actually thinking of buying it.

Basicly your going to spend some money to get that on there. But if you get it on the car make it run right it would be a fast and enjoyable car.