PDA

View Full Version : A little advice please...

PapiChulo
09-06-2006, 10:41 PM
Well first of all, i would like to say high to all my celicatech family :) sorry i havent been up here in SO long. But anyways on to my story...

Well actually there isnt much to it but heres the deal... First off i drive a '92 celica GT (stock) and never really any problems, but back in january my tranny messed up and i have no 5th gear. My dad said i should just drive it like it is but try to get a new car. And really the car drives fine, just that i can only use gears 1-4. There really isnt any other problems with the car except no AC, and theres rust on the bottom (we think the previous owner lived at the beach or something so thats why). But anyways i kinda want to keep my car, but my neighbor (a mechanic) said it wouldnt be worth it to fix, and said the parts alone for the tranny would be a minimum of $600. But ive always wanted to do an engine swap on my car anyway so figured this would be a good reason. Besides, the car is paid for and i would only have to pay around $100 a month for insurance

But also i have been kinda wanting a bigger car with more room and stuff since i ussually ride around with friends, ya know, something more for cruising around in, but also can go fast if i feel the need, plus good on gas (was thinking something like a maxima/altima or accord) or even a older model BMW/mercedes if i could affor it.

So what do you guys think i should do? Its hard for me to decide i keep going back and forth on it so i figured yall could come with some knowledge to help me make my decision. Should i get a new engine/tranny for my car? Or just buy a whole new one?

Also if you think i should do the swap, which engine should i get? I know most of you would say 3sgte, i would like to do that too, but for me i think it would be hard to get and a lil more expensive... so what type of engine do you think would be good for a celica that has good power, atleast decent on gas, and i could find parts for easily (for upgrades or w/e), and also not too pricey/hard to find.

2kSnakEater
09-06-2006, 10:58 PM
get a lexus GS300 and drop a 2JZGTE in it and be done with it.

http://www.tamparacing.com/forums/attachments/toyota-tech/73654d1157483442-our-gs300-project-lex-ruff.jpg

PapiChulo
09-06-2006, 11:03 PM
Wow, i would love to have one of those! But wouldnt you think they are out of my price range (if i get a new car looke for something around 7 grand or less)

Hookecho
09-07-2006, 12:47 AM
i say buy another pimp ride. then let me give you $500 cold hard cash and a shoebox full of garbage pail kids for the gt!

Murgatroy
09-07-2006, 01:44 AM
get a lexus GS300 and drop a 2JZGTE in it and be done with it.

This has been rehashed a thousand times, I know you are only kidding, but in an effort to not confuse people, this would be a very expensive swap that has not been done before. It would require converting a FWD car to RWD as an inline 6 will not fit in the engine bay of a 5th Gen Celica in a FWD configuration. There would be a lot of fab work and it would not be something for the faint of heart or the newbie mechanic.

A junkyard special tranny should run you about $200 if you search, add in a new clutch set and have a buddy help you with the work and for just a hair over $300 you can have her back in prime shape.

EDIT Sorry Snakeater, I thought you meant to put the 2JZ in the Celica. I misread that post. I prefer the IS300 myself.

Cavanagh
09-07-2006, 02:13 AM
well, 3sgtes have really come down in price, bout 2k for a full clip, about 1k more for misc. and if ur doing it yourself, your set. ;) But, since you want other alternatives, i give them too you, 4A-GE is a sweet, highrevving, light 1.6L engine. Oh wait you have a Gt, so...nvm go with the 3sgte.

around 7k you can get alot. Look into some early 90s BMWs like 3 or 5 series.

2kSnakEater
09-07-2006, 03:55 AM
here are more pics on that GS300:

http://www.tamparacing.com/forums/attachments/toyota-tech/73654d1157483442-our-gs300-project-lex-ruff.jpg
http://www.tamparacing.com/forums/attachments/toyota-tech/73656d1157483474-our-gs300-project-lexus-center-channel.jpg
http://www.tamparacing.com/forums/attachments/toyota-tech/73657d1157483490-our-gs300-project-lexus-dash.jpg
http://www.tamparacing.com/forums/attachments/toyota-tech/73658d1157483513-our-gs300-project-boost-gauge-lex.jpg
http://www.tamparacing.com/forums/attachments/toyota-tech/73659d1157483537-our-gs300-project-1jz-motor.jpg

burnyd
09-07-2006, 04:14 AM
well you could go ahead get a clip and go from there... but you will still need a new trans... and assuming that you do not have alot of funds with this project 3sgte celicas break.... alot... Many people will argue that swapped cars are daily driveable but its hit or miss depending on how you drive them... for me mine broke all the time heh.... but for others they daily drive theres.... Just something I wouldnt recommend for you if your looking to drive it everyday you lose reliability.

Morwan
09-07-2006, 04:14 AM
Get an older 3-series or a LS400/Celsior.

d1alltrac
09-07-2006, 04:39 AM
If I were you I would either do a 3S swap or look into another car. The 3s swap, like mentioned earlier, would probably cost you between 2-3k which really isn't bad if you are willing to spend 7k on a new car....I think thats a great option because with a few basic mods you can have a pretty damn fast celica

But if I were in your position and decided to get a new car it would either be an AllTrac or an E36 BMW 3 series (i'm a little biased on both i guess...lol) But since you said you wanted more space I would probably lean towards the E36, I have loved those cars ever since the 98 328i that I (more or less) learned to drive in. bimmerforums.com has lots of E36's for sale if you wanted to look

davmac
09-07-2006, 04:41 AM
I guess I'll be the voice of reason. If you want a nice cruiser, reliable, not too much a gas hog you are on the right track with a max, altima or V6 camry. Yeah, not as exotic as what others have suggested. But, these cars will get you and your friends around in comfort without breaking the bank at the gas station or the repair shop.

Cavanagh
09-07-2006, 04:53 AM
Get an older 3-series or a LS400/Celsior.
FTW!!!!

Lets say you do the swap....
7k, use lets say 3k, save 4k.....Or...one kinda different type that you can load ur buddies in (the only SUV i like :) ) a 90's Toyota 4-Runner. I think they look sick and are sweet. might be a lil heavy on the gas side though. also, i hear alltracs tend to break down often....

d1alltrac
09-07-2006, 05:15 AM
^^ I like that idea, get an old-school 4runner, drive it stock for a while then do a 2jz swap somewhere down the line....either that or the E36 with an S50B32 swap later on, stock individual throttle bodies ftw.

Hiko
09-07-2006, 06:26 AM
Just to say....

here are more pics on that GS300:

http://www.tamparacing.com/forums/attachments/toyota-tech/73659d1157483537-our-gs300-project-1jz-motor.jpg

That's a 1jzgte foo' :slap:

:hehe:

aballz
09-07-2006, 08:23 AM
How many miles are on your GT now? If it's still considerably low then fixing 5th gear might not be a bad investment because these 5sfe's have a lot of life in them.

What would become of your celica if you bought another car? You gotta figure out what you want here. If you want another vehicle with more room to roll around with your friends, then leave the celica be and buy another car.

If you want to enhance the driving experience with your celica then go for the swap! With 7k to spend i'm sure you can buy a 95 accord for the roominess and still have some leftover to fix your celica up a little bit.

david in germany
09-07-2006, 08:31 AM
http://www.tamparacing.com/forums/attachments/toyota-tech/73656d1157483474-our-gs300-project-lexus-center-channel.jpg
WHY!?!?! :puke: That looks so ... very bad.... Why cut up such a nice car... White?!?! :ugh:

d1alltrac
09-07-2006, 10:45 AM
if we're posting pics...lol

you could buy this car...95 M3 for 7500, thats a STEAL
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/d1alltrac/95M3.jpg

or this 325, too bad its auto but its a sedan...6k obo (5k cash)
http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/4743/updatedxm4.jpg

but the accord AND swap was probably the best idea in the thread yet

2kSnakEater
09-07-2006, 02:02 PM
Just to say....

That's a 1jzgte foo' :slap:

:hehe:

yeah, I knew that but I figured since they did the 1JZ you could do a 2JZ, wtf is the difference anyways?

PapiChulo
09-07-2006, 02:16 PM
Ok... so far i have seen some pretty good ideas... but i think i might need to explain my situation a bit further... like last week i moved out of my house (on kinda bad terms, even though things are allright now i guess) so im living with my grandparents, and carless, pretty much all i have is my clothes lol. My celi is in my dads name but it is really for me, and he said he would put it in my name if i pay insureance on it, so i cant get it back until i begin paying insureance (a week or 2 from now at longest). Also if i get a new car, i dont have the 7k on me right now (hell i only got about $300 right now in all lol) so i would have to pay payments on the car i get (or a loan or something).

Also to help explain my financial situation, i get payed 2 times a month and ussually get paid between $250-$300 each check (mainly because i have to take classes now, hopefully ill be getting a raise soon) them minus a little over $100 a month for college fees and few other things. And if i keep the celi then that would be another $100 taken off a month.

To answer some of yalls questions.... yes i am going to be using the car i get/keep as a daily driver... last time i checked the celi had a little over 160k miles on it i beleive. Think theres still alot of life in it? If i keep the celi im probably gonna put mods on it and stuff so im gonna want it to last a long time.

I have also thought of what alot of you have said, keep the celi and do the swap and buy another car... im still thinking about doing that too. Probably the what will help me make my decision most is which will help me save money in he long run (or short), but if i can save some money or spend 7k or less and end up with 2 cars i like then thats definitely fine with me.

And i really like them BMWs above, where are they located? I would love to have one of those. I would also like to have a lexus but i heard insurance is really high on those? I would really love a maxima too. Also with any suggestions on cars i could buy, could yall list how much the expenses would be on those? Including paying for the car, gas mileage, parts/repairs (if i would have to repair it much), reliability, year and model, ect... And if i buy a new car i will probably be looking for a 4 door (but a 2 door might be find if it still has room) and not really sure if i want a manual or auto tranny... i guess it doesnt really matter for me on that, i know i would miss driving a stick, but some situations (well for a car for just cruising/everyday driving) an auto would probably be good too.

And if i go for a 3sgte, what would be the easiest way to go about getting it? Its been a long time since i've been up here or on anything to do with cars so i forgot ALOT of what i use to know. Not sure if i remember right but i think a long time ago i saw that i could maybe find a wrecked mr2 an get one out of that? But i also thought they werent avaliable in the US so would i have to import one? I cant really remember right now, but ill search through the forums and see. Is there any other engine you might reccomend that i could maybe get off another car or something?

Well i was gonna say more but cant remember... but keep the suggestions coming! And thanks!

PapiChulo
09-18-2006, 06:50 PM
No more suggestions?

caneman
09-18-2006, 08:41 PM
No more suggestions?
Yes, I've got some:
With your salary and personal situation, including the fact that you don't sound like you're a gearhead like some of the guys on this site, forget about complicated engine swaps that will yeild an unreliable car that you'll have to pay other people to fix.

If you like the Celica, hang on to it, even with a bad 5th gear. What makes it bad? Have you tried flushing the transmission and/or adding Synchromesh fluid to the lubricant (do a search here for "Synchromesh")? You might just have sticky synchros. The Celica, even with 160 thousand miles on its engine, is a good, reliable car (assuming that you've been taking care of it and maintaining it properly with regular oil changes, coolant, etc.). It still has years of service left in it. The 5SFE is a bullet-proof engine.

Keep your money in your pocket. If you want to keep the Celica and it really needs a different transmission down the road, get it fixed or swapped out with a good, used unit and you'll still be ahead of the game.

If you don't like the Celica and/or it has other problems that you haven't mentioned or discovered yet, look for a good, reliable car to use until you can sort out your life and build up a bank account. Avoid complicating your life. Avoid loans like the plague. Make due with what you've got until you absolutely need to make a change and then spend your money wisely.

You don't need an expensive euro-car (initial cost, maintenance/reliability and insurance) or a tempermental turbo to get you to school and work. Spend your money on education and save the rest. Ten years down the road you'll be happier.

If I sound like somebody's dad it because I am; four times over.

aballz
09-18-2006, 10:26 PM
Agreed with the above. Plenty of time to buy fancy cars and to save up the money. Hang on to the Celica since it has proven to most of us its one very reliable car. The main issue to be dealt with is your financial problems. Use your available balance to pay for books and schools as thats a worthy investment for your future. Cars are always advancing and getting better. When you're financially stable and your insurance premiums drop with age, then look for a car you really want. Gotta prioritize here!

jaded_driver
09-19-2006, 04:42 AM
shoebox full of garbage pail kids for the gt!

so if you have those... let me know.. i'd be interested :D

KoreanJoey
09-19-2006, 06:15 AM
Yes, I've got some:
With your salary and personal situation, including the fact that you don't sound like you're a gearhead like some of the guys on this site, forget about complicated engine swaps that will yeild an unreliable car that you'll have to pay other people to fix.

If you like the Celica, hang on to it, even with a bad 5th gear. What makes it bad? Have you tried flushing the transmission and/or adding Synchromesh fluid to the lubricant (do a search here for "Synchromesh")? You might just have sticky synchros. The Celica, even with 160 thousand miles on its engine, is a good, reliable car (assuming that you've been taking care of it and maintaining it properly with regular oil changes, coolant, etc.). It still has years of service left in it. The 5SFE is a bullet-proof engine.

Keep your money in your pocket. If you want to keep the Celica and it really needs a different transmission down the road, get it fixed or swapped out with a good, used unit and you'll still be ahead of the game.

If you don't like the Celica and/or it has other problems that you haven't mentioned or discovered yet, look for a good, reliable car to use until you can sort out your life and build up a bank account. Avoid complicating your life. Avoid loans like the plague. Make due with what you've got until you absolutely need to make a change and then spend your money wisely.

You don't need an expensive euro-car (initial cost, maintenance/reliability and insurance) or a tempermental turbo to get you to school and work. Spend your money on education and save the rest. Ten years down the road you'll be happier.

If I sound like somebody's dad it because I am; four times over.

Old man FTW!

caneman
09-19-2006, 03:30 PM
Old man FTW!
Okay, I've got to ask, even if I run the risk of seeming like a really old fart: What does "FTW" mean? Is it an insult or a compliment?

alltracman78
09-19-2006, 03:34 PM
Compliment. :)

For The Win

As in you hit it on the nail.
Best choice.

caneman
09-20-2006, 06:41 PM
Compliment. :)
For The Win
As in you hit it on the nail.
Best choice.