View Full Version : Jacking points

01-17-2005, 05:16 AM
So, here's the deal.

The ONE bit of rust on my car is just past my passanger side wheel, below the door, basically where the front jacking out is. I went to change my oil the other night, and what do ya know, the jack went through the freak'n jacking point. It all crumbled, and now I have a nice little hole about 2 inches wide. I was wondering two things

1) Would it be possible to cut out all the rust, weld some mild steel in there to patch the hole, and another maybe sqare piece of stock to create another jacking point? Any ideas?

2) Sounds rather dumb, but can I just use the front crossmemebers as jacking points? Or any other points up front?

Thanks in advance for any imput

01-20-2005, 01:31 AM
The front crossmember is considered a jacking point. Although, I would suggest getting the side jacking point repaired so that you can use jacks later on in the future.

EDIT: I forgot to answer how to repair.

Cut out the remaining rust. Then, I would suggest welding in some thick steel there, and some reinforcement to be safe.

01-20-2005, 01:47 AM
im glad i live in tucson, ive never seen rust on a car here :)

01-20-2005, 09:07 PM
i never jack by the body on my own cars...i had an issue where it looked like it was giving way, and i've always used the crossmembers...differentials or other large chunks of metal as my jacking points.

01-22-2005, 04:00 AM
about 5 inches inside of that crumbled jack point is the frame rail. An excellent and probably more stable jacking point