PDA

View Full Version : Tread wear numbers

85gtsblackman
01-17-2005, 01:01 AM
most if not all tires have some fort of tread wear rating , what im trying to figure out is what wears faster higher or lower #s . Because i noticed that ive been getting 300-400 tread wear #ed tires and they seam to go fast and my friend had some 280 rated tires and they wore like iron

roman
01-17-2005, 01:10 AM
Generally the higher the number, the harder the rubber compound is. Harder rubber compound usually means longer life. I say usually because it all depends on the tire manufacturer and on your driving style/car/alignment. Some tire manufacturers (like Dunlop) have higher treadwear ratings on the sidewall, but their tires don't last as long as other manufacturers with similiar numbers. Bad or agressive alignments can also cause a tire to wear out abnormally faster. One more thing I forgot to mention: I think how fast the rubber ages has a lot to do with it. Look at the Kumho Ecsta Supra 712 tires. I think their treadwear is like 300, but they get so hard after their first year of use that they practically last forever ;)

slvrblt
01-17-2005, 01:11 AM
the higher the number the longer the tread wear comparied to a goverment spec tire. if driving condictions were exactly the same the tires with a higher tread wear number should last longer than a tire with a lower number

EvilSpeeder
01-17-2005, 03:00 PM
the higher the number the longer the tread wear comparied to a goverment spec tire. if driving condictions were exactly the same the tires with a higher tread wear number should last longer than a tire with a lower number

Wrong. Treadwear ratings are totally arbitrary and assigned by the individual manufacturers. There is not 'government spec' to this. *Generally* a higher treadwear rating will mean the tire will last longer, but its definitely not guaranteed.

Hooligan
01-17-2005, 06:29 PM
The weight of a car will also effect how fast the tires wear. Heavier cars = faster wear.

Galcobar
01-21-2005, 05:45 AM
Funny, the treadwear ratings, along with the speed ratings and the load ratings, form the Federal Government Universal Tire Quality Guidelines -- UTQG.

The legislated purpose of the UTQG:
http://www.safercar.gov/tires/pages/TireRatings.cfm

The grades are not arbitrarily assigned by the tire companies, but it is the companies or someone they hire doing the testing against a standardized tire, and it only covers the equivalent of about six months of driving. As a result, real-world results differ, particularly with tires with high treadwear ratings, since the amount of wear they displayed in the initial test was so small. It becomes harder to extrapolate accurate predictions from smaller amounts of data.

The pros/cons of a UTQG is well-explained here:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/general/utqg.jsp

SilverCel
01-21-2005, 06:08 AM
I have Goodyear Eagle F-1's. I didnt realize....they have a treadwear rating of 200....yuck.

Grip like a mother f'er though!

Henry
01-22-2005, 01:19 PM
The point about treadwear is that there is no thorough standard. A 200 treadwear rating from Tire A will wear differently than a 200 treadwear rating from Tire B.

Please read the following:

"The problem with UTQG Treadwear Grades is that they are open to some interpretation on the part of the tire manufacturer because they are assigned after the tire has only experienced a little treadwear as it runs the 7,200 miles. This means that the tire manufacturers need to extrapolate their raw wear data when they are assigning Treadwear Grades, and that their grades can to some extent reflect how conservative or optimistic their marketing department is. Typically, comparing the Treadwear Grades of tire lines within a single brand is somewhat helpful, while attempting to compare the grades between different brands is not as helpful."

There is no standardized standard. The number cannot be used to follow any guideline. It is a relative measurement. There are too many variables that constitute towards tire wear (weight, alignment, driving habit, road conditions). The treadwear number is best used to give a general idea of how long the tire will last.

imac
01-22-2005, 10:24 PM
I have Goodyear Eagle F-1's. I didnt realize....they have a treadwear rating of 200....yuck.

Grip like a mother f'er though!
most good tires have lower treadwear ratings. tires like your eagles have softer rubber for better grip, but the tradeoff is that they dont last as long as most tires.

SilverCel
01-24-2005, 01:24 AM
THe yokohama avs es-100's i had before were 280. the wear on the goodyears seems to be better than the yokos. went through 2 sents of es100's. still on my first set of f1's. (set as in 4 tires.)