PDA

View Full Version : double clutching

mtp_69_i
08-24-2006, 11:45 AM
I'm loving it. My 2nd synchro has a chronic grind when changing down from 3rd. But if I double clutch it, the shift is smooth as. Nice to be able to burn hard corners again!

oh yeah, might be swapping the celica for an 87 Toyota Hilux daul cab.

It's red and looks pretty badass. Won't handle the same as the celica, but if it lasts til after I'm married (end of next year) then I'll save up for a 1ggze or 1uzfe + supercharger. tough.

celicatech rocks, forget forum politics and straight-tripping agro BS

that is all.

mtp_69_i
08-24-2006, 11:47 AM
here's a pic (http://www.autotrader.com.au/photos/W55309076145.jpg)

85gtsblackman
08-24-2006, 07:03 PM
get a 3rd gen

yeah i have dubble clutch into 2nd

but ive been doing it since i had a subaru with hardly no syncros left

so i do it in every gear :hehe:

bloodredgt
08-24-2006, 07:49 PM
Top Gear absolutely destroyed a Toyota Hilux by drowning it in an estuary, burned it, dropped a caravan on it, bumped it around with a demolisher, drove it through a building, and it STILL RUNS!!!!

I learned to drive manual by double clutching on my old 82 celica GT. Damn that thing was a trooper. Too bad the guy I sold it to neglected the car and ended up killing the motor. Poor thing is probably in a metal cube now =(

Murgatroy
08-24-2006, 08:26 PM
I tought a guy at work how to drive a stick on a Freightliner. He hasn't even driven a manual car.

That is double clutching all the way folks. :D

Slider
08-24-2006, 08:27 PM
I made a habit of it when I couldn't downshift into 2nd without double clutching. Now I do it even though my synchros are good.

Sean
08-24-2006, 08:28 PM
Are you guys talking about a true double clutch...

Or just rev matching. Blipping the throttle on downshifts is mandatory with every downshift in my car, its just how its done to smoothly engage to the next gear. This is very different then "double clutching".

=cJ=
08-24-2006, 08:49 PM
I double clutch down to third, second, and first, and yes, it's a genuine double clutch AFAIK, not just rev-matching.

As in Clutch --> Neutral --> Release clutch --> Clutch --> Select gear --> Release clutch

mtp_69_i
08-25-2006, 12:05 AM
yep cJ. that's what I'm talking about.

Clutch --> Neutral --> Release clutch --> REV --> Clutch --> Select gear --> Release clutch