PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust

Punisher
08-20-2006, 07:04 AM
I would like to do a dual exhaust (thinking of it anyway) I want to stick one resonator or muffler under the car and split off of that with 2 2" pipes to the back.

I am looking to get a nice like.. v8 exhaust sound.. kinda quiet.. mellow.. deep when I get on the peddle.. never raspy or high pitched.. As free flowing as possible.

Anyone have some suggestions on what to do?

snyder
08-20-2006, 02:13 PM
I have a Gen2 3sgte in a 88 GTS. I have a 3" downpipe and full 3" stainless out the back. I have a 3" flexpipe, a high flow cat, and a Magnaflow exhaust. When the car is running, from the front its sounds quiet, when you stand behind it, it sounds like a V8. The rumble shakes the floor when its idling.

Punisher
08-20-2006, 03:23 PM
Which magnaflow muffler?

bloodredgt
08-20-2006, 08:23 PM
There is no way you can make a 4 cylinder sound like a V8. 4 cylinders won't have the idle stumbling rhythm of a V8. I think the best thing you can do for the closest to a V8 sound is to just get large diameter piping with a resonator inbetween. I don't think a dual muffler set up will be necessary but do as you wish.

Punisher
08-20-2006, 08:31 PM
Heh well my buddy has a magnaflow on his wrx.. fuckin thing sounds like one of those dodge magnums.. nice low rumble.. sounds great.. however that is a boxer motor so it sort of adds to that uneven exhaust note.

91 celica st
08-20-2006, 08:34 PM
what your describing is not ture dual exhuast, it is a Y
ture dual exhuast on a 4 cyl would mean taking 2 runners and running them directly back, and takming the other 2 and running thme directly back from the header....basucally having 2 headers
350z do not have dual exhuast either, both headers join into one pipe and thne split off again

angryyoungnpoor
08-20-2006, 09:08 PM
Subaru's just sound amazing with any type of exhaust. Put in a big cam to get that idle sound.. and a resonator to lean out the annoying sound. You're talking about a 2.0 liter engine here.. not a 5+ liter engine.

TEAMFaint
08-20-2006, 09:42 PM
Definately recommend a magnaflow.
Go with 2.5" or 3.0" downpipe, throw in a resonator of your choice to get rid of the whine sound, and then slap on a magnaflow muffler on the rear and you'll get an amazing sounding setup.

Punisher
08-20-2006, 11:08 PM
Ok so a magnaflow res and a magnaflow muff? Any suggestions on model numbers or something?

ciento44
08-20-2006, 11:17 PM
I say why go for deep when you can get fucked up rally car sound with a 3" downpipe, 3" straight side dump with two resonators, and a bigass oval exit.

Just go straight for the kill.

TEAMFaint
08-20-2006, 11:33 PM
I think if I owned a car with straightpipes I'd end up having a 24/7 headache.

Punisher here is the muffler I'll be going with
Magnaflow 14819
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=main&id=791

The resonator I will be going with is just a universal resonator that the local exhaust shop in my city sells. Its $80 CAN and deepens the exhaust tremendously.

=cJ=
08-21-2006, 12:03 AM
Yus. I have a noname res and muffler, on a 3" pipe.

Gets a very nice burble at idle.

Punisher
08-21-2006, 12:11 AM
Yes.. I can't stand a fuckin droning sound.. like goin down the highway just cruising i want this bitch to be fairly quiet.. only when I romp on it do I want to hear it.

Sean
08-21-2006, 01:49 AM
WRX's have a comletely different engine layout, their boxter engine is very easy to tell apart from our inline 4's. You cant compare subaru's to anything, only other subaru's.

I dont like your idea of running a dual, or even pseudo dual exhaust. Its extra weight that is just not needed! And yes, like someone mentioned above, your never going to it to sound like a V8, sorry. If people say otherwise, then they havent listened to a healthy V8 in a while.

SRT-4 is a comparable exhaust note, they have a notorious bumbly popping raspiness that is very discernable from a distance. They have a pseudo Y-d off pipe that works for them, they are also a completely mufflerless system with only a resonator! If you like that sound, go for it, I cant stand it personally.

I'm running a 3inch Aussie DP, 3 inch Flex pipe, 3 inch crushed bent exhaust, to a 3 inch magnaflow race series muffler with a 3.5 inch tip. I personally love the sound, very deep and throaty! Mucho compliments from many. My buddy Jason has virtually the same setup, except with a resonator and a cat installed, hardly a comparison in loudness and tonal quality. Its so quiet compared to mine, which is great depending on what your going for.

Go with a Magnaflow race series muffler, and you'll be set.

Punisher
08-21-2006, 02:46 AM
I didn't mean literally a V8 sound.. I ment something LIKE THAT. I know I won't GET a V8 sound.. I just want something that is bumbly at idle but fairly quiet on the highway .. and only really makes a lot of noise when I get on the pedal.

However, I have never done an exhaust on a turbo car.. and the turbo will change the sound of things as well. I just don't want a mind numbing sound when driving down the highway.

I also know that boxer engines are completely different.. that's just sort of the sound I'm going for but I won't really achieve that with out having a true dual exhaust setup on the proper cylinders.

It's just more important to me that

A. Not annoying while cruising
B. not raspy/ricer sounding .. I don't want it to sound like there is rice rattling through my exhaust system. I hate that sound so fricken much...

My gf's GTS has a flowmaster on it.. and it is kind've annoying down low.. but when you get on the peddle in the mid to higher rpms it sounds pretty nice.. It's a real even sound.

Aust162
08-21-2006, 03:29 AM
Anyone have sound clips of your car's with magnaflow muffler's? i'm interested in one, but they arent that popular over here in australia.

Does lagos' car have a magnaflow?becuase he had a clip up awhile ago.

Galcobar
08-22-2006, 12:57 AM
One point -- Magnaflow doesn't make resonators. It does make nice mid- or sub-mufflers, but no resonators. A resonator is a hollow chamber designed to bounce soundwaves off each other, cancelling them. The mid-muffler's just a smaller version of the same straight-through insulated pipe design you'll be using at the end of your exhaust. It will lower the volume, and possibly the tone, while a resonator prevents the annoying buzz you hear from so many aftermarket "custom" exhausts.

GRUMPY514
08-22-2006, 01:31 AM
Your friend has a Boxter motor also lol.

Flat 4 FTW.. thats why WRXs sound so damn sick. Just like a Porsche would with thier flat 4s

Cavanagh
08-22-2006, 02:26 AM
Ugh, i hate how subarus sound, a low picthed and...neh i dislike that sound they put out. Anyhow, magnaflow does have some good sounding mufflers and it only really kicks in when ur on the peadal, so that would be your best bet.

Sean
08-22-2006, 02:35 AM
Ugh, i hate how subarus sound, a low picthed and...neh i dislike that sound they put out. Anyhow, magnaflow does have some good sounding mufflers and it only really kicks in when ur on the peadal, so that would be your best bet.

My car vibrates everything within 100 ft :D

celica9303
08-22-2006, 04:54 AM
my magnaflow muffler on my custom 2.25" exhaust sounds sweet, its super quiet while crusing(like 70 on eway)can barley hear it even with the top down. it get loud when you get on it which is awsome. i believe mine is a 14382 i believe. magnaflow hands down FTW

burnyd
08-22-2006, 05:03 AM
Open downpipe ftw!

Lagos
08-22-2006, 05:17 AM
http://www.celicatech.com/lagos/videos/Lagos%203in%20Exhaust.wmv

full 3in exhaust. magnalfow muff and nothing else. belive it or not, its totally quiet inside the car and while cruising on the highway. one secret to this is to make sure that when your muffler is installed, you have to tip stick out a little past the rear bumper. if you mount it flush, it will drone on you and you will hear it more inside of the car. i love mine. everyone always comments on how quet it is at idle or cruise, but also how great it sounds when i get on it.

Aust162
08-22-2006, 01:03 PM
http://www.celicatech.com/lagos/videos/Lagos%203in%20Exhaust.wmv

full 3in exhaust. magnalfow muff and nothing else. belive it or not, its totally quiet inside the car and while cruising on the highway. one secret to this is to make sure that when your muffler is installed, you have to tip stick out a little past the rear bumper. if you mount it flush, it will drone on you and you will hear it more inside of the car. i love mine. everyone always comments on how quet it is at idle or cruise, but also how great it sounds when i get on it.

yeah, that sounds awesome Lagos :D need a sound clip at WOT though.haha
I'll have to post up one when i finish fitting my d/p this week.

Punisher
08-22-2006, 05:01 PM
Think I will go with a resonator and a magnaflow muff...

bloodredgt
08-22-2006, 09:15 PM
my magnaflow muffler on my custom 2.25" exhaust sounds sweet, its super quiet while crusing(like 70 on eway)can barley hear it even with the top down. it get loud when you get on it which is awsome. i believe mine is a 14382 i believe. magnaflow hands down FTW

No way... My exhaust DRONES like a mofo at highway cruising speeds. But then again, that could be because my piping material could be different from yours... also that my exhaust piping starts from the flex pipe and goes to the magnaflow muffler.

My car sounds louder than my brother's supra (has apex'i GT Spec cat-back exhaust) at highway cruising speeds and on the local. His supra only sounds louder when you get on the gas... WAY louder.

Lagos
08-23-2006, 07:27 AM
My exhaust DRONES like a mofo at highway cruising speeds

how far past the rear bumper does your muffler stick out? im willing to bet that yours is either flush with the bumper or tucked it a little and thats why it drones. my full 3in doesnt drone at all and is really quiet at cruise/idle and my tip sticks out a fair bit.

bloodredgt
08-23-2006, 08:04 AM
how far past the rear bumper does your muffler stick out? im willing to bet that yours is either flush with the bumper or tucked it a little and thats why it drones. my full 3in doesnt drone at all and is really quiet at cruise/idle and my tip sticks out a fair bit.

Yeah my muffler is tucked so I don't get carb deposite build up on my bumper. I guess that makes a pretty big difference for whether it drones or not. But mine still drones like crazy.

=cJ=
08-23-2006, 01:43 PM
My car vibrates everything within 100 ft :D

It's great fun setting off car alarms aye? :D

Sean
08-23-2006, 05:26 PM
:hehe:

I'll get a sound clip and video up after the FMIC goes in this weekend... If the car will quit overheating lol

Lagos
08-23-2006, 05:28 PM
Yeah my muffler is tucked so I don't get carb deposite build up on my bumper. I guess that makes a pretty big difference for whether it drones or not. But mine still drones like crazy.

have a muff shop extend it so that it sticks out past the bumper. then it wont drone anymore.

celica9303
08-24-2006, 01:27 AM
mine is flush with my rear bumper and its quiet as hell unless i get on it, like when leaving a light and i take every gear to like 5k, but other than that its quiet and i love it will recomend to to everyone. i also have 2.25" flexpipe(everything except my crappy manifold i 2.25"). welded just after my cat. but thats gonna change after i get my camry manifold from jeremy and i have to redo the front part of the exhaust. (will try to get pics when iget the manifiold installed)

malecrod
08-27-2006, 08:32 PM
So I see two things here as far as loudness is concerned. one is exhaust tip should be past the bumper edge and second is to have a resonator.. My set up has neither. it a 2.5 flex pipe all back with hi flow magnaflow cat and muffler #14819. it is fairly quite but at highway speed a bit too loud for my taste. I'm thinking putting a silencer on or should I just add a resonator? thanks