PDA

View Full Version : Making a st185 Rally Car

BlackOut
08-20-2006, 01:05 AM
I have a 92 gt 2.2, and it is dead well not dead but I can't drive it for a while so this is a perfect opportuity to do some real work on it. I have always wanted to off road in my celica is there anyone that knows what part upgrades I would need, $7,000 spending limit :-). I got really lucky and fell into some money. the main thing I was wondering about is strut/shocks what kind would be best.

burnyd
08-20-2006, 01:30 AM
buy a st185 for cheep. with that 7k. Put some money into suspension + a w2a intercooler and you got yourself once kick ass rally car :D... daily drive your gt:D

Apostle
08-20-2006, 01:58 AM
You would be better off buying an all-trac if you wanna do rally, since it has AWD compared to your FWD. Don't waste your money trying to convert your GT into one. Burnyd is right, you can find an all-trac for alot under 7k and still have money left over for upgrades.

BlackOut
08-20-2006, 03:17 AM
anyone know what knida of suspension i should get, brand name?

Denver_whiteST185
08-20-2006, 05:48 AM
DMS, but only if you have an all trac

http://www.dmsnorthamerica.com/cgi-bin/ec.cgi?opt=2&org=1&pid=236&a=dc

Seriously, a FWD rally cars don't work too well. if you want to go rally, get an all trac. if you really want to go off roading, get a 4-wheeler or a tacoma.

burnyd
08-20-2006, 06:42 AM
everything is on alltrac.net check it out... a high end coilover would make an alltrac handle so well.. find a car first btw :D

d1alltrac
08-20-2006, 08:04 AM
When you say "Making a st185 rally car" everyone is going to assume you want an alltrac. IIRC your car is an ST184 and alltracs are ST185

Anyway, an alltrac is the way to go if you really want to rally, with 7k and a GT to sell you can have a very nice alltrac. Hell, you could even keep the GT, buy a decent 165 and still have money left over for mods.

But it seems like you just wanted to mod your celica for rally. I cant help you there as Ive never looked into suspension options for the FWD celicas but Im sure other owners can chime in to help.

Is Adrian on this forum? (SBCelicaGT on alltrac.net) He seems to be a suspension guru of sorts and he has a GT so he can probably help you, if he's on here of course :shrug:

creech_r
08-20-2006, 10:18 PM
well, in order to get into official rally you have to start with a 2wd car and move up to awd. FWD isn't the best but you can do it. I'm personally going to be looking into something like an AE86 or an RX7 to start my race fun with. But this is all uber official shit, not just hossing my car(s) in misc cool back yards, etc. Adrian started a suspension thread a while ago, you might be able to pull some info from that.