PDA

View Full Version : 3sgte EGT sensor ratling? How do you stop it?

3sgte2B
08-19-2006, 07:33 PM
I have a turbo xs downpipe and the sensor is screwed in perfectly but the pyrometer (i think thats what its called) insides of the bung moves around, its slightly loose, i cant move it back and forth with my finger. It ratles like crazy when at idle. Any suggestions? thanks!

angryyoungnpoor
08-19-2006, 09:14 PM
EGT sensor... meaning The O2 sensor? If it's rattling and you can't make it stop... and, if you think it's annoying, then change it. If it reads correctly and doesn't bother you, then don't change it.

Aust162
08-20-2006, 06:31 AM
i made a blocking plate to block where the standard 02 sensor goes in. i'm using an aftermarket one further down on the dp (using the spare bung). i have a turboxs dp too.

Playfortoday
08-20-2006, 06:44 AM
Just to make sure we are talking about the right thing here...

This is the O2 sensor circled in red:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/Playfortoday/IMG_1121-1.jpg

Are you talking about an EGT probe in the extra bung down lower?

Sorry if we come off as condescending. It is hard to know the expertise level of our newer members.

3sgte2B
08-21-2006, 08:17 AM
"Sorry if we come off as condescending. It is hard to know the expertise level of our newer members."--- thats not a problem, it was my fault for not being clear. totally understandable :bigthumbu

whoops i guess i didnt type it the first time. :slap: Yes the EGT sensor, no not the one in the picture, But is the senor about 8 inches further down on the DP. It has a long thin metal rod that measures exhaust temps. Its really anoying at stop lights. Makes the car sound like a piece of crap. It echoes off the cars next to me. Thanks for any help guys!

Aust162
08-21-2006, 11:08 AM
I never had an EGT probe on my car :wtf: Does everyone have one of these? or is it a only on ADM/USDM models? i have a JDM motor. sorry to hijack the thread 3sgte2b, it's probably good info for others on here too :)

Luni
08-21-2006, 03:25 PM
Some JDM motors have an EGT sensor in the bottom of the downpipe.

I believe though you dont NEED it plugged in for the ECU to be happy. You should try just unplugging it from the loom and seeing if it pulls any trouble codes. It isnt necessary.

T-spoon
08-21-2006, 06:35 PM
I would venture that if you want a good useful EGT gauge, you don't want it there anyway. Better to drill and tap yourself a hole on runner 3 of teh manifold and thread in a good aftermarket EGT senser (Greddy electronic etc.). Measuring your temps that far from the "scene of the crime" is probably too late, so if it's not necessary for vehicle function, I'd ditch it and get a good one to actually use a gauge with.

Luni
08-21-2006, 07:14 PM
The EGT probe on the JDM engine is to notify of like a clogged cat or something.

angryyoungnpoor
08-22-2006, 12:32 AM
Seems like it should be in the manifold, as, that's where it's hottest. That's what I put mine. I'd have to look at it to see how it's rattling and where in the unit.

Luni
08-22-2006, 12:41 AM
Not sure if youre getting it.

It lets the ECU know if the air behind the cat is HOT enough. If the cat gets clogged that mother will get HOT. Thats pretty much its entire job in life.

3sgte2B
08-22-2006, 06:25 AM
Not sure if youre getting it.

It lets the ECU know if the air behind the cat is HOT enough. If the cat gets clogged that mother will get HOT. Thats pretty much its entire job in life.

So since there is no cat any more, that means the sensor is useless right? technically? That would make sense. I try taking it out and see what happens/

ps-not a problem Aust162 you could have the thread the tread now :)

Punisher
08-22-2006, 06:31 AM
I would venture that if you want a good useful EGT gauge, you don't want it there anyway. Better to drill and tap yourself a hole on runner 3 of teh manifold and thread in a good aftermarket EGT senser (Greddy electronic etc.). Measuring your temps that far from the "scene of the crime" is probably too late, so if it's not necessary for vehicle function, I'd ditch it and get a good one to actually use a gauge with.

So true. But wondering why you noted cyl. 3?

Playfortoday
08-22-2006, 02:33 PM
So true. But wondering why you noted cyl. 3?

The (off)center feed stock intake manifold design on a 3SGTE causes a lean condition most prevalent at cylinder 3. It is pretty much guaranteed that if you are going to run lean, you will run leanest at cylinder 3 (given all injectors are flowing well). Therefore it is the best place to take your EGT measurement. KO Racing actually enlarges the cylinder 3 coolant passages on their 2.2 stroker motor to help combat this. An aftermarket side feed intake manifold seems to clear this problem up.

Luni
08-22-2006, 04:11 PM
Yeah Pun, on a 3SGTE with center feed TB, cylinder 3 is the leanest cause it gets the most air. Because of that, you want to monitor temps on that cylinder.

Punisher
08-22-2006, 04:55 PM
I'd think that cylinder 2 and 3 would be pretty much the same.. since they are so close.

So now when I stick my Wideband O2 gauge in maybe I should stick it on runner 3? Instead of after the collector?

I know there was a cylinder 1 lean issue with the fuel rail.. which I fixed by boring the rail out..

Playfortoday
08-22-2006, 06:29 PM
Actually, keep the wideband O2 in the DP; otherwise, the othr three cylinders may get away from you. Run an EGT in cylinder 3.

Luni
08-22-2006, 06:31 PM
The original question, YES you should be able to NOT run that oem egt probe.

Punisher, keep the WB O2 in the bottom of the downpipe as it accurately reflects the overall mixture.