PDA

View Full Version : Slight oil film in coolant :(

tooch
01-16-2005, 11:02 AM
May be joining the BHG club sooner than I expected! Noticed this morning a very slight oil film on the coolant in the top of the radiator, and some very small flakes of shit which may just be from the hoses or sludge in the system. I'm automatically thinking the worst now, I think if i end up needing to replace the HG, I'll do what everyone else has been doing, and go for a rebuild too. The engine is on 215,000km's so is getting a bit tired anyway, and If im going to the trouble of dropping the engine, might as well go for it.

Hopefully it holds out for a bit longer tho, I dont wanna think about it yet!

Car isn't even boosted or anything! Hasn't overheated or anything yet, and no milky oil, so might be a small leak im hoping.

Ahh well shit happens :)

Classique71
01-16-2005, 11:21 AM
mine went at 215000 as well .. seems to be when the life ends on them ..

and i had a slight film and flakes as well - but no water contamination in the oil ..

Was later found that electrolisis had weaked a few points of contact - and the gasket had lifted + began to weep - but not blow..

Drove mine like this for 2 months before i could get the car to the mechanic - but only for very very short trips to and from work ..

Prepare for a rebuild mate - invest in a TRD or better HG and a set of ARP headstuds as the basis for your build - forgies/cams arent needed unless you plan on putting more power thru it ..

Expected cost of you get someone else to do it - anywhere between 2000 - 2500 for a freshen and new rings bearings etc - 4000 dollars + for a major rebuild for uber power like my block

While your doing this - check your clutch , and timing belt, and water hoses - life will be easier to change these while the motor is out - then in

* or if your mechanically inclined - watch lances threads - and do it yourself *

tooch
01-16-2005, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the advice mate.
Spectral on OCAU has a very good thread detailing a complete build up of a 3sgte which is helpful like Lance's threads, so there's plenty of info. I've never attempted an engine build before, but am prepared to give it a shot. I'll have to invest an extra couple of hundred in tools and shit but I dont mind spending money on that sort of stuff.

My clutch seems fine, although the throwout bearing occasionally ticks a little bit so this would need replacing too.

Any suggestions on where to look for a decent bare motor, I would rather go down this route to save the amount of time the car is off the road!

On the other hand, a friend's father is an engine builder, so maybe the arsing around and learning might not be worth it....I think I'll speak to him and get an idea of how much it would cost to get it done by him. As much as I want to do this myself, I'll have to weigh up cost options.

Hmmmmmm

robbie
01-16-2005, 11:26 PM
had that problem with the flaky shit in my radiator, the radiator hoses just lost its flexibility and when u bent them all this flaky would come off inside the pipe. Got them all replaced cost me quite a bit too :(

Aust162
01-17-2005, 06:55 AM
hey tooch, sorry to here about the possible BHG :(. in the mean time, to keep the car going and slow down the leak, try using a product called chemi-weld.it should buy you some time :)

tooch
01-17-2005, 07:57 AM
Aust162: Thanks for the concern mate :) I don't like using that chemiweld stuff in my cars, clogs a lot of shit up and makes things worse in the long run....If it gets bad and I get desparate I may change my mind :D

Classique71
01-17-2005, 09:00 AM
Chemi weld is a stopgap to use on a engine you plan on junking - its like adding clay to your coolant to plug the holes - it jsust makes everything else crappy

not a wise thing to do if you intend to use the block

You COULD always get a gen3 halfcut and swap in that motor + such

tooch
01-17-2005, 11:02 AM
Hehe I did think of going the Gen3 route for a second...sell off the w2a setup and all the other shit, re-coup a bit of the cost....Only problem is, the condition of the engine would be unknown, would possibly still need a rebuild anyway....may end up costing more.

Hmmm will look into the cost of gen3 half cuts tho.....

Any good places in Vic that you know of?

-==L=a=N=c=E==-
01-17-2005, 09:02 PM
Go the rebuild, you've already seen in spectral and my thread, that it isn't enirely hard in itself.

I would have rebuilt the botom end myself, but i honestly did not trust myself in doing it. And although spectral's thread is good, it is seriously lacking, as it isn't step by step, and referring to the BGB, just confused the hell out of me.

Have a look at this, and see if you reckon you could handle it.

http://ugbox.net/~lance/GT4/Technical/Engine%20Manual/cylinder%20block.pdf

Now stu, you must have a loody good mate, only costing $2500 for the entire rebuild, does that include labour for getting the engine outta the car? I've budgetted $3500 for my rebuild, and i should just about clear it. Although, looking at the running bill.... ic oudl have thought of better money to spend. But it was money that needed to be spent, as i need the car. Well hoepfully not much longer now.

tooch
01-17-2005, 10:18 PM
Yeah I'm swinging the way of getting a "low km" engine, giving it a freshen up (i.e. new rings, bearings, gaskets etc), getting the head rebuilt and some valve work (3 angle) done, then banging it all together with the metal HG and arp studs....need to try find an engine stand that will fit in my tiny ass workshop, not to mention throw a heap of shit out to find an area to work! I'm feeling kinda confident looking at that BGB guide, maybe I can get all the measurements done for me when I drop off the block to be treated and stuff.

Like I said, I know an engine builder so I'll have some words to him about it all.

Classique71
01-18-2005, 01:53 AM
Ahh sorry richard - shuld have made it clearer

ive seen cheap builds done for $2500 ish but there was F all work needed to be done and the pulling of the motor was done like yourself - with sheer effort on the part of the owner

The person who built mine is indeed a good person though - I got extremely good rates + alot of help from him - the motor labour alone was worth a crapload more than what he charged - hence why hes picked up more jobs from me ( ie the brakes upgrade for example, and the planned turbo work )

I was quoted 1500 originally ( very optimistic ) to do a HG repair alone by a local mechanic - poor bastard didnt know what he would have got himself into if he'd got the job .

Tooch - dont know any places in vic sorry - just saw one for sale recently interstate

Classique71
01-18-2005, 01:55 AM
oh and tooch - your smart in doing what you are planning - it keeps all the numbers matching on your CS - hence preserving its value !

youve already got an awesome setup there to build around - but keeping that original Group A block is a good thing

tooch
01-18-2005, 07:06 AM
Stu: You must have mis-understodd what I typed, I was gonna change the engine over with a 2nd one which i'll freshen up. But now what you wrote makes sense, maybe its worth the extra arsing around to just rebuild the current one....hmmmm decisions, decisions, decisions.....

Classique71
01-18-2005, 08:05 AM
Ahh sorry late night reading issues

for a standard boyd like minde id go engine swap all the time .. but yeah - yours being a tad more special - its a worthy option to ponder

tooch
01-18-2005, 08:32 AM
I just got offered a rebuilt Gen 2 from a guy on Toymods, waiting on more info and price to see if it's worthwhile

tooch
01-18-2005, 11:43 AM
Coolant started overflowing tonight as I pulled into my street.....I think the end is near :(

Classique71
01-20-2005, 07:08 AM
its about now you park her in the garage mate .. dont risk blowing it to bits ..

that gen3 cut mentioned was on toymods for sale - full St205 front + box ..

If thats an option

-==L=a=N=c=E==-
01-20-2005, 09:40 AM
yes, but hell expensive for what it is, atleast its local for tooch....

and it ill take the gearbox, kthkbi

tooch
01-20-2005, 11:47 AM
Looks like for now I might be rebuilding the current engine. I have access to another car for as long as I need it (yes, its a 92 hyundai excel :) ) so dont think I'll need to be buying any half cuts guys! :)

Then again, I've changed my mind at least 5 times this week!

-==L=a=N=c=E==-
01-20-2005, 11:53 AM
welcome to the joys of rebuilding, u'll be changing your mind alot from here on out.