PDA

View Full Version : Exactly what axles fit in the mr2 tranny?

NDMstang65
08-15-2006, 05:00 PM
Ok...been going on a wild goose hunt, this will be 3 weeks i've been trying to track down the junk yard guy so i can steal parts off of the wrecked GT car...and this is where i stand until i can get the parts off of this car...

Engine is sat down in there,st185 harness is on it, egr blockoff plates are being machined today...after sitting down and looking at it and figuring out that there is no way in hell the Alltrac axles that darren told me to get will work i called Biscuitwheels and he said that i needed the GT axles. OK...fine, no big deal. Went to autozone and switched the alltracs out for the GT axles. There in lies the problem, The GT axles do not have the same spline diameter as the MR2 tranmssion output splines do. So now this being the 34 dollar question, exactly what axles do you swap guys use to fit in the celica when you use the mr2 transmission? If i had a micrometer i would tell you exactly how much difference there is in the two splines, however i dont have one :(. As close as i could get with a tape measure it is roughly 1/8" diameter difference between the two axles.

I'd rather not have to change the transmission if i could avoid it, beings that its already sitting in the car.

Thanks for the help!
-Nick

Sean
08-15-2006, 06:32 PM
Simple, you use Mr2 axles :)

Alltrac outers, mr2 inners.

NDMstang65
08-15-2006, 07:17 PM
Fair enough :)

The Alltrac outers that i had...would not bolt up to the mr2 inner shaft...on the passenger side

Edit: I guess we'll play order parts by the numbers until we get the right one to bolt up to the mr2 midshaft

Thanks!

Sean
08-15-2006, 07:41 PM
They should bolt up!

MR2TuRbZ
08-17-2006, 07:13 AM
i have some extra MR2 axles if you wanna buy them :D

burnyd
08-17-2006, 07:33 AM
I dont know why they wouldnt work? They should? Make absolute sure you have the carrier bearing bracket and snap ring for the passenger side axle... it should all bolt up btw.

Luni
08-17-2006, 05:05 PM
i have some extra MR2 axles if you wanna buy them :D

Are they LSD?

NDMstang65
08-17-2006, 07:44 PM
I dont know why they wouldnt work? They should? Make absolute sure you have the carrier bearing bracket and snap ring for the passenger side axle... it should all bolt up btw.

That's the thing the shafts that i got that were for the alltrac were too long, and there wouldn't be any way that they would bolt up (talking like 3" too much material, and no way the axle would spin, didnt have the same splines)

It was like i got 2 outer shafts for the drivers' side of the car.

I think i'm just gonna make a WTB thread on the alltrac forum and buy some axles off of there...at least i know i'm getting the right ones and i dont have to play order parts until i get the right damn ones :)