PDA

View Full Version : Sick of Sports Cars???

DblOSmith
08-12-2006, 09:45 AM
It finally happened. Moved on up like the Jeffersons. I got a great paying job... moved to Oregon, got the car I've had my eye on since it came out in 2000... My Toyota Celica (2001). I love it. It's beautiful, it's peppy, it gets great gas mileage... and I'm so sick of it!!!

Granted I have been driving a lot lately and not getting too much sleep, but I'm so tired of it. The engine noise is kinda whiney and annoying, the gutlessness of the low end is kinda irritating, and that damn rowing... everytime some slow ass oregon driver wants to site see in front of you, it sets off a repetitive set of events that just seem to get worse over time. I'd usually be the first to say "you're just getting old and lazy" and I've been told this day would come, but eh. I love the car... It'd be a great weekend car, but...

I'm already looking for my next car and I've only had the car 6 months. I know it's just this car and not my attention span because after having my 1990 Celica for almost 2 years, I still didn't want to let it go as my daily. So, I'm looking at another car I've had my eye on since it came out. Mazda 6s. I love the style, love the transmission, it's quick, quiet, not a bad engine sound. 5AT lets me take a break, sometimes and still have fun others, plus I can get hatchback versatility. I like the spacing of the gears and the shift style. Finally an automatic don't have to floor to get a downshift from. I'd also be the one to point out "Hey, that's a Ford in drag... Just say no to Duratec." but it's a little less hard on the kidneys during turns, more comfortable for friends and all, and I'll finally get some punch in the low end with a decent non-tin foil sound.

I'd go TL, but that car just seems so huge, and too comfortable. Don't have money for a G35, I hate to sound like I drive a beat up, rusted, Regan era Dodge Ram, but I'm kinda afraid of 4cyls being too weak and whiney and high strung, so no... TSX...

Notyper?? Anyone have any thoughts? Is this what drives guys to G35's and TL's and all? I'm 23 am I too young for this? Should I wait until I'm balding for I have some kids? heh, what do you think?

Chris

zmile06
08-12-2006, 01:20 PM
I'm more of a fan of old Mazda, but they have still been producing some decent cars just not what they used to.

And you should of test driven the 2001 celica more before you bought it if you do not like it.

I drive a 1993 celica ST as my daily driver and i have no-cat striaght thru exhaust and im fine with it. But it is an automatic, and i really apreciate not having to hit the clutch every time i need to shift.

I like manuals but for a daily driver it gets anoying fast.

Just so you know they use the celica GT-S engine in Lotus cars, so its not the engine that is crap... That engine is a work of art in my opinion.

Rio_Cyber
08-12-2006, 02:31 PM
get a
http://www.mazda.com.au/mazda6mps/specifications_pl.asp?ID=56.
and have both ;).

T-spoon
08-12-2006, 02:50 PM
I think it all comes down to the individual. I've regularly driven everything from camrys to trucks to my current spyder. All I can say is that I get frustrated and tired of "comfortable" cars very quickly. I went to the spyder from two turbo mr2s and an alltrac and a stint of a supra as a daily, I thought the spyder would be fun enough, while still tame and practical (from a MPG standpoint). But frankly I'm tired of how slow it is and am already looking to pick up another higher maintenance, harsher driving performance car. I haven't gotten tired of manual tranny even in heavy Houston stop-and-go traffic, quite the opposite, I want to take autos out and beat them with a hammer for not doing exactly what I want when I want whenever I've driven them. I'm a few years older than you and have done quite a bit of driving ever since I turned 15, so it's not just an age issue.

IMO it does just come down to personal taste. Maybe at some point I'll get tired of it, but still to me I prefer the control, I prefer to feel the road and stick tight in corners. Even the hint of body roll irritates me. True, I wouldn't mind something extremely comfortable like a Lexus GS for long comfortable trips, but for everything else I'll take it as quick and agile as I can get hold of.

MCcelica
08-12-2006, 03:36 PM
^Amen.

Cavanagh
08-12-2006, 11:16 PM
Nicely said, spoon. Hey dblo, whats your price range if you don't mind me asking, that would help in finding you a good car.

Luis C
08-13-2006, 12:19 AM
hear hear Mr Spoon... well said.

I've always thought that on manual cars, you are the one doing the driving while on autos they usually drive you

85gtsblackman
08-13-2006, 03:42 AM
i remember when i was gonna buy spoons gt, i was only shy by 500 when he decided to keep it

MCcelica
08-13-2006, 03:49 AM
hear hear Mr Spoon... well said.

I've always thought that on manual cars, you are the one doing the driving while on autos they usually drive you

They usually drive me crazy...for various reasons. Anyway, personally I think those TL's are sweet. I'd def rock one if I had that kind of grip.

aballz
08-13-2006, 03:57 AM
I totally know how you feel. Go buy a TSX auto with navi and keep your 1990 celica as the daily driver. You're making the money now, and pretty stable. You need a car with lots of comfort creatures to keep you entertained. I've been given a TSX as a loaner car twice. I took it up on a trip to Reno and it was a great ride. Very comfortable, quiet engine, and not whiney at all. And with all the standard features, you can't really go wrong unless you want more speed.

bloodredgt
08-14-2006, 02:34 AM
Some people just get tired of the whole modification craze. It costs lots of time, money, and energy. To some people it's worth it, others question why tuners do it. My friend bought a 94 supra tt 6 speed 5 years ago. He modified it til there was pretty much nothing left to modify. He was running 700whp on pump gas and was loving it. Eventually he grew tired of not being able to drive his car anywhere he wanted (especially to places with valet parking). Also the fact that the engine noise was loud and the ride stiff, he grew tired of it and sold his supra. To replace it he bought a BMW M3 and he's loving it.

I guess that's why people will dish out huge wads of money for high performance factory vehicles. They give you speed and such to beat anything on the road, at the same time as giving you a nice comfortable ride with little engine noise in the cabin.

It's all personal preference, so choose what makes you happy. Good luck with your car search.

skeptic
08-14-2006, 05:22 PM
I was out of town this weekend and rented a Subaru Legacy. I was really surprised and impressed by it, and it sounds like it might fit what you want. Power wasn't bad at all, all-wheel-drive, and it had an auto with sportshift for when you want to take control of the shifting. The 250hp turbo version is still under $30k base. If I were in the market for that kind of car I'd give it a serious look. The only flaw was a couple days in the check engine light came on and the cruise control quit working. Could just be time for an oil change, but that doesn't explain why the cruise control light started blinking and wouldn't turn on.

DblOSmith
08-16-2006, 05:53 AM
I really liked the TSX. I don't have the 1990 Celica anymore. I have a 2001 GT. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Oy.

Chris