PDA

View Full Version : Newbie saying hello.

skeptic
08-09-2006, 01:33 AM
I found my way here through an MR2 site. No, I don't have an MR2, I have a Celica, but it's powered by a JDM MR2 engine. Short version:

1977 Celica GT liftback
JDM 3SGTE engine with lots of goodies
W58 tranny
MK I supra rear end w/aftermarket LSD
Power R&P steering
Custom "show car" paint job

It's actually in the shop right now getting body work (minor custom mods) and paint before going back to the mechanics for final dyno tuning and alignment. I may have them modify the suspension and upgrade the brakes, but I'm waiting to hear what they come up with for options and cost. It was completely stock and worn out when it went into the shop a year and a half ago so the thought of getting it back sometime in September has me antsy. The car is in FL and I live in UT, so no current pics and I haven't seen it in person in 6+ months.

After looking around a new cars I realized there was nothing on the market I was interested in, so I decided to start with a classic Celica and turn it into the closest thing to a modern "retro" car that I could. Once the mechanicals and paint are done, the only thing left is the interior. It shouldn't take much to get it where I want, and what is there is in amazingly great shape for such an old car.

Here is a teaser "before" picture:
http://www.classic-celica.com/albums/skeptic/celica_side_med.sized.jpg

Ricksta
08-09-2006, 01:43 AM
sweet. you dont see too many people with these anymore....

TEAMFaint
08-09-2006, 01:44 AM
^ Espically with a MR2 3SGTE loaded in the engine bay.

Okay you got me ancy, show us pics! :wiggle:

Ricksta
08-09-2006, 01:46 AM
why would you ship your car all the way to florida to get it worked on?

convertiblechick
08-09-2006, 02:08 AM
c'est magnifique!
what a pretty girl :D

GT4SOM
08-09-2006, 02:13 AM
This thread sucks with out the "after" picstures. Welcome aboard! Post those pics!!

TEAMFaint
08-09-2006, 02:16 AM

You need to start thinking before you start talking. Lets think of the possibilites:

Reputable shop
Reputable shop
and oh...Reputable shop?

Ever wonder why such companies such as ATS do so well? Not just because of the locals, but because cars from ALL OVER THE COUNTRY get sent there to worked on.

skeptic
08-09-2006, 04:36 AM
I was actually living in Florida when I started the project. I also found one of the best shops I could, Jamasco. Not sure if they are know on this board, but I'm guessing so. At the time I decided to go with the 3SGTE and them as a shop, they had the worlds fastest 3SGTE powered 7th gen Celica. Not sure if they still hold the title, Jayson has moved on to Scions and it doesn't sound like his old Celica gets as much attention as it did. To be honest, I was willing to ship the car anywhere in the SE, and it just turned out that the best shop I could find was 15 minutes away. Honestly, when you plan to spend that much fixing up a car, even a beater $2,000 car, the cost of shipping is minimal in comparison. In fact, if they don't come up with good options for the suspension and brakes I'll most likely be shipping the car to Sacramento for that because I know a guy that does great work, is highly recommended, and is into classic Celicas.

I wish I had after shots, but as of yet I don't. What I do have are some in progress shots from when I was still in FL. Original engine and new carb before I decided to swap it out. New wheels that don't have tires yet (on the floor of a hotel I was living in for a couple months while transitioning to UT) as well as the supra wheels I first went with before deciding to go all out, , R&P installed (other classic owners were asking for pics), 3SGTE in the engine bay (and a pic or two of the bay when empty and freshly painted), a couple pics showing minor damage (the way I bought the car). Link to gallery on the classic-celica website: http://www.classic-celica.com/modules.php?set_albumName=skeptic&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php&page=4 Hopefully it works for everyone, not just me being logged in there.

edit: I probably wasn't clear, the car is NOT finished, it just went to the body shop. For those that don't want to bother with the album, here is the most recent pic I have of the engine in the car:
http://www.classic-celica.com/albums/skeptic/Miami_009.sized.jpg

ciento44
08-09-2006, 05:04 AM
Welcome, and amazing car man... :)

Mind telling me how you managed to mate up a 3sgte in rwd? I did a bunch of digging around on this subject a couple months ago before i decided to move on, (was looking into doing it on a 1st gen as well) and i couldn't get a positive answer as to what was needed, what would fit, anywhere i looked.

Cavanagh
08-09-2006, 05:44 AM
You would rather put a 3sgte then a 2jzgte? Cient, c'mon, if you ever do get a classic celi, plz put that supra engine in it. Plz :)

skeptic
08-09-2006, 06:02 AM
Welcome, and amazing car man... :)

Mind telling me how you managed to mate up a 3sgte in rwd? I did a bunch of digging around on this subject a couple months ago before i decided to move on, (was looking into doing it on a 1st gen as well) and i couldn't get a positive answer as to what was needed, what would fit, anywhere i looked.
I don't have all the details yet, only what Jamasco has told me. Basically, custom motor mounts, and a custom bellhousing. Unlike what I expected, they left the engine sitting at an angle (obvious from the photos), and modified the bellhousing to allow it to mate up to the W58 tranny with the tranny straight up and down. They also modified the oil system to keep it from being starved now that it's in RWD configuration, I think they may have just added baffles in the oil pan. Another biggie was removing the distributor and going with a distributorless system. In stock configuration the distributor would be against the firewall, but by removing it I was able move the engine farther back. I'm also running the SDS engine management system to control everything. I'm not exactly sure what they did for the clutch, but I'll find out when I get it. Not sure what all was done with the intake/exhaust manifolds, but I THINK intake is stock and exhaust is custom. There are some other obvious changes such as a FMIC, custom exhaust, new lines for A/C, power steering, etc.

I'm pretty sure toysport (www.toysport.com) sells a kit to do this as well, but they rotate the engine and do other oil modifications to deal with that.

Morwan
08-09-2006, 06:22 AM
You would rather put a 3sgte then a 2jzgte? Cient, c'mon, if you ever do get a classic celi, plz put that supra engine in it. Plz :)

The 2jzgte is a fucking fat engine- it's heavy as hell and pretty big. The 3SGTE is already pretty cozy in there, he would've had to do major bodywork to cram a 2jz in there.

skeptic
08-09-2006, 06:25 AM
Not sure if you are being serious or not, guessing not but.... That engine is just too big. Ignoring the question of whether or not it would even fit, it's just too long. The 1st gens are already something like 58/42 weight bias, and putting more out past the front tires just sounds like a bad idea. Even a 1GGTE, a much smaller turbo I6, is longer than what I would want even though it's basically a bolt-in. Now if I/he were building a dedicated drag car then maybe. I do know of a guy running a 7MGTE in a first gen. He says handling was definately affected, but since he uses it for a drag car and is in the 11's.... For some other ideas, on the classic-celica board there are a couple people running a SR20DET, as well as the engine out of a Honda S2000, and one guy with a Buick Grand National (turbo V6) engine. Kinda makes my 3SGTE seem a little boring.

Plus you have to remember, after converting the heavy stock safety bumpers to fiberglass "smiley" bumpers, I should be somewhere between 2400 and 2500 pounds. I know a 3SGTE is good for well over 300hp, that makes for a pretty fast car as it is.

I'm shooting for something between a show car (not the original intent but it's headed that way) and a normal street driven car. Full upgraded interior, converting to power windows and locks, modern stereo and probably in dash nav system, sporty suspension but still comfortable enough for long trips, etc. I know this wasn't directed at me, but I'm not shooting for the fastest best performing car I can, I want something fun to drive that will be nice on the occasional trip. Well, that and a bit of showing off and the occastional 1/4 mile run. :bigthumbu

ciento44
08-09-2006, 06:39 AM
Not sure if you are being serious or not, guessing not but.... That engine is just too big. Ignoring the question of whether or not it would even fit, it's just too long. The 1st gens are already something like 58/42 weight bias, and putting more out past the front tires just sounds like a bad idea. Even a 1GGTE, a much smaller turbo I6, is longer than what I would want even though it's basically a bolt-in. Now if I/he were building a dedicated drag car then maybe. I do know of a guy running a 7MGTE in a first gen. He says handling was definately affected, but since he uses it for a drag car and is in the 11's.... For some other ideas, on the classic-celica board there are a couple people running a SR20DET, as well as the engine out of a Honda S2000, and one guy with a Buick Grand National (turbo V6) engine. Kinda makes my 3SGTE seem a little boring.

Plus you have to remember, after converting the heavy stock safety bumpers to fiberglass "smiley" bumpers, I should be somewhere between 2400 and 2500 pounds. I know a 3SGTE is good for well over 300hp, that makes for a pretty fast car as it is.

I'm shooting for something between a show car (not the original intent but it's headed that way) and a normal street driven car. Full upgraded interior, converting to power windows and locks, modern stereo and probably in dash nav system, sporty suspension but still comfortable enough for long trips, etc. I know this wasn't directed at me, but I'm not shooting for the fastest best performing car I can, I want something fun to drive that will be nice on the occasional trip. Well, that and a bit of showing off and the occastional 1/4 mile run. :bigthumbu

A 2jz doesn't weight a WHOLE lot more than a 3sgte. A 3sgte is one chunky ho of an engine. And i know for a fact that a 2jz will fit in a 76 or 77 Celica. It's the ones before that require some massive modifications. Either way, it's not going to be pretty, but it's doable in the 76-77s.

And nope, he wasn't joking. :P I'm still doing some research as to what i want my major project to be after my swap is done after this winter in the current 93. A first gen was on the list of possibilities.

I have seen that kit on ToySport, i had forgotten about that. You need an oil sump because of the angle that it's going to sit, i believe you said something about that. That was also an issue that people run into when they throw normal 3sges into AE86s. I spent some time trolling their boards for info on the idea as well.

Anyways, awesome car again, and i love seeing that someone has already successfully done what i've been trying to figure out if it's feasible or not. Gives me hope. :)

skeptic
08-09-2006, 06:54 AM
A 2jz doesn't weight a WHOLE lot more than a 3sgte. A 3sgte is one chunky ho of an engine. And i know for a fact that a 2jz will fit in a 76 or 77 Celica. It's the ones before that require some massive modifications. Either way, it's not going to be pretty, but it's doable in the 76-77s.
I'm more concerned with where the weight is than the amount of weight. I wanted to minimize the amount added in front of the front wheels, so I wrote off I6 engines right off the bat.

And nope, he wasn't joking. :P I'm still doing some research as to what i want my major project to be after my swap is done after this winter in the current 93. A first gen was on the list of possibilities.
There is a guy on the classic-celica forum that now does custom engine swaps. F20c, SR20DET, and a few others. If you're still interested in a first gen you might want to check it out. Even if you want to do all the work yourself there is some good info there.

I have seen that kit on ToySport, i had forgotten about that. You need an oil sump because of the angle that it's going to sit, i believe you said something about that. That was also an issue that people run into when they throw normal 3sges into AE86s. I spent some time trolling their boards for info on the idea as well.
That's why they left the engine sitting at the stock angle in mine, to minimize the amount of work needed to deal with oil issues. It looks a bit funny, but as long as the weight isn't thrown off side to side I don't care.

Anyways, awesome car again, and i love seeing that someone has already successfully done what i've been trying to figure out if it's feasible or not. Gives me hope. :)
I can tell you this, it's been in the shop a year and a half and they told me flat out they will never do a 3SGTE swap into a 1st gen celica again. I also wouldn't go this route again after waiting soooo long for it. I'd rather go with something like a 4G63T (used to have an AWD Turbo Eagle Talon) which is easier to get into RWD configuration or a SR20DET. If anyone asks, I'd say the 3SGTE just isn't worth it for the amount of work you have to do unless you refuse to go with a non-Toyota engine and want a 4cyl turbo. On the other hand, I haven't looked much into the toysport kit, it might make things a whole lot easier.

90celicaGTX
08-09-2006, 07:09 AM
VERY NICE MAN!!

have u taken it to the track yet?

GT4SOM
08-09-2006, 07:41 AM
Damn thats weird as hell looking sitting in there. I would have thought a rwd 3sgte would sit perfectly flat. I'm guessing the tranny was clocked a little. That car must be awsome to drive!

Murgatroy
08-09-2006, 07:49 AM
VERY NICE MAN!!

have u taken it to the track yet?
Did you read the thread at all yet?

The car is not complete and he has not yet recieved it from the shop.

skeptic
08-09-2006, 05:17 PM
Damn thats weird as hell looking sitting in there. I would have thought a rwd 3sgte would sit perfectly flat. I'm guessing the tranny was clocked a little. That car must be awsome to drive!
That's what I thought the first time I saw it. I am just trusting Jamasco to do it the best way. Tranny is straight up and down, they modified the bellhousing for the tranny to be straight and the engine to sit at an angle. They felt it was a better option for oiling than to make the engine flat and modify the oil system. It also fits better so I don't need a custom intake or big bulgy hood.

2kSnakEater
08-09-2006, 05:39 PM
You need to start thinking before you start talking. Lets think of the possibilites:

Reputable shop
Reputable shop
and oh...Reputable shop?

Ever wonder why such companies such as ATS do so well? Not just because of the locals, but because cars from ALL OVER THE COUNTRY get sent there to worked on.

I have an Idea, How bout you shut the fuck up?

as the guy stated, he LIVED in florida. Plus I dont give a damm were you live, most of the people will send their car to a LOCAL shop unless its a fucking Lambo or Viper gettting a 100k "aftermarket package" added on it.

so please, YOU think before you try to bash somebody because of a comment. I would of asked the same question had Rick not asked.

skeptic
08-09-2006, 06:21 PM

Simma down guys, don't piss on my thread.

2kSnakEater
08-09-2006, 06:22 PM
what part of Florida is the car in? If its close to me and I can ride over and take a few "in porgress pics" for you.

skeptic
08-09-2006, 07:09 PM
what part of Florida is the car in? If its close to me and I can ride over and take a few "in porgress pics" for you.
That would be cool, I'm dying to see the thing, even if it's just a picture.

It's in Hollywood, just south of Ft. Lauderdale. Currently it's at "The Paint Shop" which is literally across the street from Jamasco.

2kSnakEater
08-09-2006, 07:17 PM
ouch! sorry, thats about 300 miles from me. Looks like I wont be taking any pics.

GT4SOM
08-09-2006, 07:46 PM
Oh yeah fyi, jamasco was the one that built my car. Do you plan on running sds as the EMS? I think thats what they mostly use over there.

90celicaGTX
08-09-2006, 08:06 PM
Did you read the thread at all yet?

The car is not complete and he has not yet recieved it from the shop.

NO...

skeptic
08-09-2006, 08:12 PM
Oh yeah fyi, jamasco was the one that built my car. Do you plan on running sds as the EMS? I think thats what they mostly use over there.
Yes. With all the changes being done, including distributorless ignition, a stand alone system was necessary. They like SDS so that's what we went with.

TEAMFaint
08-09-2006, 11:51 PM

as the guy stated, he LIVED in florida. Plus I dont give a damm were you live, most of the people will send their car to a LOCAL shop unless its a fucking Lambo or Viper gettting a 100k "aftermarket package" added on it.

so please, YOU think before you try to bash somebody because of a comment. I would of asked the same question had Rick not asked.

I have a better idea. How about instead of opening your mouth....keep it shut?

I've seen TONS of fucking celicas get sent to ATS racing so dont fuckin talk like you know it all buttercup.

Oh yes and I'll bash Rickie all I please for the simple fact of him not being so smart.

Also he stated AFTER my post he lived in Florida.

BTW sexy car, post some pics once you get it back :)

skeptic
08-10-2006, 08:35 AM
BTW sexy car, post some pics once you get it back :)
For sure, I'll be showing it off everywhere I can. Beyond the mechanical upgrades, the appearance mods are subtle, but should be dramatic. Without giving too much away, look at the pic I posted and picture what a modern retro version of the car might look like. No big changes, but little details that can make all the difference. Add in just a touch of classic show car flair and that's what I'm going for. No body kits or radical changes, that's not my style.

trumanpriest
08-10-2006, 06:24 PM
Honestly I kinda like the way it looks with the motor mounted at an angle- something unique. Cleaned, Painted, it's gonna be a hot looking engine setup. Can't wait to see some pics. Welcome to the site glad to have you.