PDA

View Full Version : wierd audio problem

j_dot
08-07-2006, 04:30 AM
only the right speakers work when im listening to FM stations. AM and CD all speakers work fine. I have a system 10 if that helps. any suggestions?

heyman
08-07-2006, 02:19 PM
i had the same problem. do you have the double stack radio and cd player(double din style) . My problem was the radio unit. i just replaced them a single unit from crutchfield. I did not i have a system 10 speaker though. You should have a factory amp under the passenger seat. You will need to buy a wire harness that connects from radio back into factory harness. not sure on your amp wiring. i have no experience with a system 10 amp. Should not be much problem if any. You can get online at crutchfiled and see what you need ! good luck !

j_dot
08-07-2006, 08:50 PM
thanx dude. any more suggestions?

aballz
08-07-2006, 09:52 PM
Clean areas around wires? Around the amp or the back of the deck?

COLDAX
08-07-2006, 10:36 PM
this is a known issue with System 10s - the diodes fail. On mine only the radio worked. Unless you can take that sucker apart, diagnose and fix it you may as well throw it away. You can pay someone to fix it (search the net - there is a guy in Cali) but it will cost over $200. Don't even bother with the ones on ebay that people pull out of old celicas - thay are bad too. Best best is to upgrade. go to the Audio forum on this site - there should be some stickies or search on System 10 for more information.

I ended up getting a Jenson double din (AM/FM, cass and CD) to replace the old. Very easy to install - however, interfacting with my System 10 amp was a bitch. Yours is a 93 so you should be ok with the Metra harness. Most early 5th gens used a different harness. I had to hack into the harness and custom fabricate the wiring connections. Turned out OK, but I miss the old System 10 hu - nice big KNOBS for easy tuning when driving. Sounded great until it slowly died.

aballz
08-07-2006, 11:46 PM
What are the diodes?