PDA

View Full Version : Got into an accident, should I fix it or...? *PICS*

AznKlique
08-07-2006, 12:48 AM
Well, I got rear ended by a F350 the other day on the highway. It wasnt a hard impact, but most of the damage came from when I slammed my brakes and was plowed for a good 5 seconds until I nearly got rammed into the guy ahead of me.

There is some slight damage to the rear end of my car. The hatch is slightly pooped up because the latch got pushed up and the damn thing squeaks A LOT. The bumper got scuffed, the license plate holder got pushed in, as well as the tail lights. The weird thing is, none of the lights cracked, just pushed in.

Most people don't even notice the damage and can't tell that someone even hit me.

The dudes insurance is paying for the damages...depending on the estimates, I dont know whether I should

A) pocket cash and leave the car as it is
B) have the car fixed with the insurance money
C) not fix the rear, but buy a CS bumper instead

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v711/quangn83/DSC00979.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v711/quangn83/DSC00981.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v711/quangn83/DSC00988.jpg

aballz
08-07-2006, 12:50 AM
Fix it. You've kept your car so clean looking, i'd fix it and keep it that way.

ciento44
08-07-2006, 01:01 AM
I second the vote for fix it... Your car is beautiful, don't skimp on something to do something else. :)

AznKlique
08-07-2006, 01:02 AM
My bumper did need to get repainted anyways...

Ricksta
08-07-2006, 02:53 AM
well when the insurance money comes in they give you what the mechanic estimates the damages too. take the money that they would have bought for the new stock bumper and get the cs you wanted

Fuelish
08-07-2006, 02:55 AM
I second the vote for fix it... Your car is beautiful, don't skimp on something to do something else. :) Me make three.....fix it !!!

ciento44
08-07-2006, 03:08 AM
well when the insurance money comes in they give you what the mechanic estimates the damages too. take the money that they would have bought for the new stock bumper and get the cs you wanted

Huh?

REAR bumper dude...

PhillyDRFT
08-08-2006, 01:27 AM
I got rearended worse than that and they forked out 600$ for the bumper, paint, and new rear trim. I would get the hatch itself fixed because the rattle sounds really irritating. but if you feel like puting out a bit of your own work, you can profit from the job. if you lived in PA i could hook you up with paint

AznKlique
08-08-2006, 02:25 AM
If it was just the bumper, I'd fix it myself too, but there is body damage...the back frame is kind of pushed in right below where the hatch is. I dont know how to fix that.

zmile06
08-08-2006, 03:41 AM
My car acident was 5 times worse then yours and im fixing it and its a 93 ST

My rear bumper, rear liceanse plate panel rear reinforcment bar are all trash. I'm trying to find new ones but nobody on celicatech is parting out a white celica:)

And just so you know that bumper can probable just be fixed at a body shop and save you 100 or so bucks.

Cavanagh
08-08-2006, 04:27 AM
Azn, Your GT-S is so good looking! Fix that shit. BTW where in IL are ya?

1990CelicaGT-S
08-08-2006, 05:04 AM
I vote fix it. I'd go for having the car be all in line before having extras on it anyday.

2003cbgts
08-08-2006, 07:17 AM
yup fix it... ull be glad you did

PhillyDRFT
08-08-2006, 03:03 PM
If it was just the bumper, I'd fix it myself too, but there is body damage...the back frame is kind of pushed in right below where the hatch is. I dont know how to fix that.

yeah i know what your talking about, i had almost the same accident but i got hit on an angle on the back not straight on. you said its not noticable so most likely the body shop you take it to is just going to put it on a frame bender and bend the latch back till the hatch locks in properly again. I would get the estimate from the insurance company. then take your car to a totally different body shop, tell them that you just bought the car and the hatch rattles and doesnt close properly. Then compare the two fix estimates. Thats if you want to try and have some leftover money in this for your CS bumper. Depending on what insurance company pays for your work they try to get deals with body shops so they get a cut price on flat rate labor. so if your rear looks good and the hatch being the only noticable thing from the accident there most likely to only fix that and tell you they pulled it back as much as they could. But if you really want a good repair (which is a good idea because your celi looks great, but its your call) Find your own trustworthy body shop. have the adjuster come out and cut them a check for there estimate. You probly know all of this or someone told you all of this since your accident but just incase. Goodluck with it.

2kSnakEater
08-08-2006, 03:48 PM
FIX IT!! dont cheap out on it!

MCcelica
08-09-2006, 09:24 AM
Hope your car isn't totalled. Mine was from damage eerily similar to that. Milk truck rear ended a Chevy 2500 and pushed that into my car. My car only got hit hard enough to move it forward (It was parked) about, oh 10-15 ft. Same exact damage, didn't even crack the tail lights cause it hit straight on. If it is totalled, I'd say ask them if you can keep your car and fix it. That's what I wished I would have done.

zmile06
08-09-2006, 01:00 PM
Usualy if the insurance company totals a car they want to keep it to reclaim part of the loss, ask them what they would want for you to keep it, its usualy crap money like 200 bucks. Pay them that if they want it and keep the car.

schmooot
08-09-2006, 02:44 PM
I would just pay the deductible and get it done right. Some of these little things can get expensive and you might need an alignment and some hammering in the backend and so on...you really don't know until its apart

I hit a moose once and all I saw was a scratch down the left side and my mirror was taken off (I got lucky) but the body shop put it up at $1500 repair so I just paid the 200 deductible and let them at it

AznKlique
08-10-2006, 01:57 AM
oh my car isnt a total loss. I would cry if it was because of that small of an accident.

Thanks for the compliments. I'm definitely going to have it fixed, but the problem is, I tried to get an estimate from a couple of places already and they said they cant give me a full report until they remove the rear bumper, so where ever I go, I am probably going to have to get it fixed there. That means, no getting a lot of money for a high estimate and fixing it at a cheaper place.

Also, I dont have to pay any deductable because it's the other party's insurance paying for my damages.

I just wanted a hundred extra dollars for tints...sheesh

2kSnakEater
08-10-2006, 02:01 AM
so why dont you take the bumper off then drive it to the place, iv seen crazyer stuff done than a car thats missing its rear bumper.

AznKlique
08-10-2006, 02:02 AM
Because the insurance is paying for it in full and I dont want to interfere with that, saying I tampered with shit, ya know?

AznKlique
08-10-2006, 02:04 AM
Azn, Your GT-S is so good looking! Fix that shit. BTW where in IL are ya?

I am around the suburbs of Chicago. I live in the Southwest burbs (orland park), but work near Elgin and go to school downtown. I basically make a huge triangle around the Chicago area.