PDA

View Full Version : Celica Caught cheating.

aballz
08-05-2006, 09:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrzTGfK9hkU

Sorry if repost but they disqualified the celicas in rallying in the mid 90s for cheating! I'm bored on this night and was looking up celica videos.

aballz
08-05-2006, 10:07 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hvv5qGRbEA&NR

Here's one with a GT4 taking a supra.

Murgatroy
08-05-2006, 10:13 AM
Yes, TTE was caught cheating `95 and that was why that was the last year the ST205 was used in the WRC. When the ban was lifted the Corolla was then used for the WRC until Toyota stopped funding for it to focus on other forms of racing.

Or something along those lines, I am just going from memory.

Luis C
08-05-2006, 01:17 PM
^^^ F1

MCcelica
08-05-2006, 04:10 PM
^Yeah, somebody posted a movie about it. Damn you have a good memory murg.

Murgatroy
08-05-2006, 09:20 PM
I didn't click the movie.

I normally have 5 or 6 windows up at a time. It takes all my memory to watch movies when that is going on.

zmile06
08-08-2006, 03:49 AM
Why get rid of rally racing when thats what sold so many celicas?

Luni
08-08-2006, 11:06 PM
Without looking do you guys know WHY they were disqualified?

I do.

hobbie2k
08-08-2006, 11:49 PM
It was a variable capacity intake that bypassed the restrictor plate...or something like that.

Luni
08-09-2006, 12:45 AM
No. They drilled out their TVSV and it allowed more air to bleed, thus raising boost pressure and increasing their HP I believe.

mrgud
08-09-2006, 01:03 AM
tvsv? that is short for...?

Cavanagh
08-09-2006, 01:19 AM
Do you guys think both parties knew about this? Toyota and the European Racing teams....

Morwan
08-09-2006, 04:19 AM
Why get rid of rally racing when thats what sold so many celicas?

The Alltracs didn't sell all that well in the US.

Toyota still rallies in Australia, they even sponsor some races.

Luis C
08-09-2006, 04:40 AM
Do you guys think both parties knew about this? Toyota and the European Racing teams....

TTE said they didn't have a clue but the whole thing started to sound bogus when they found the Toyota name and a part number stamped on one of the parts. :owned:

d1alltrac
08-11-2006, 10:26 AM
i have a magazine at home that explains how they were cheating in detail, i would try to describe it off memory but i would just end up leaving something out...ill try to remember to post when i get home

*edit* ok here it is. its a whole article about teams cheating in all kinds of racing, but i dont feel like typing it all so ill just do the part about TTE and the celica, please excuse any typo's...its almost 7am and i just got off a 12 hour shift.

Max Mosley, president of motorsport's world governing body, close confidante of Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone, and former F1 team owner, called it "the most ingenious thing I have seen in 30 years in motorsport."

Mosley was talking about the hidden turbocharger restrictor bypass Team Toyota Europe engineers had created for the Celicas they ran in the 1995 World Rally Championship. The bypass was made possible by a movable flange held open against a strong spring. The hose connecting the restrictor to the turbocharger had a metal casing inside with catches that secretly forced open the flange by 5.0mm, allowing as much as 25 percent more air in--worth an estimated 50 horsepower on an engine that was supposedly restricted to 300.

So why didn't officials spot it during the regular post-event engine tear-downs? The hose was fixed to the restrictor by a clip. A special tool was then applied to open the bypass, which was held open by a second clip. As both clips had to be undone for anyone to check, the device automatically snapped shut when the system was dismantled. "It was so well made that there was no gap apparent to suggest any means of opening it," says Mosley. "The spring inside the hose had been polished and machined so not to impede the air that passed through."

If it was so clever, how did Toyota get caught? Good question. But conspiracy theorists were quick to note a connection between Toyota's hefty penalty--a one year ban from competing in the World Rally Championship--and Team Toyota Europe boss Ove Andersson's well-publicized view that Bernie Ecclestone, then responsible for the commercial rights of all major international championships, favored Formula 1 over rallying.

HaPpYfAcE
08-11-2006, 11:08 AM
tvsv? that is short for...?

turbo vacuum switching valve

^^stock boost controller on the GT4