PDA

View Full Version : 5sfe mods underway

Hookecho
08-03-2006, 02:21 AM
Finally got all of my parts gathered up and the machine work finished! I will begin working on the celica this weekend and at least get the bottom half put together. Hopefully i'll have the car running by the middle of the month and then it's off to the dyno. I'm anxious to see the numbers and hopefully they'll be at the 150+whp im expecting.

Mods are:

-Complete engine rebuild
-Valve job & .040in milled off head(10.5:1cr)
-Cams, intake and exhaust
-CAI w/k&n filter
-98 Camry header
-2.25 custom exhaust
-NGK iridium plugs and Magnacore wires
-adjustable fuel pressure regulator
-e-manage

May look into installing an intake manifold from a 3sfe(Nukes idea) in the future just to see how the shortened runners effect the powercurve.

91 celica st
08-03-2006, 03:03 AM
sorry to dissapoint but your not going to come close to reaching 150whp, most 5sfe put down around 115 stock and your looking at around 130WHP at the most

Hookecho
08-03-2006, 04:13 AM
sorry to dissapoint you, but Jim Snodgrass dynoed his 5sfe at 147whp with a similar setup. only difference is he had a stock exhaust cam.

here's the dyno sheet

http://www.jimsnodgrass.com/dyno.htm

2003cbgts
08-03-2006, 04:26 AM
ole jims got himself one nice 5sfe there dont he?

Hiko
08-03-2006, 04:32 AM
Time will tell. That link doesn't mention whether the head was shaved or not. The extra compression and a good tune might make the difference. Post the dyno up whether you make the numbers or not.
Good luck! :bigthumbu

Hookecho
08-03-2006, 04:34 AM
ole jims got himself one nice 5sfe there dont he?

yeah he does, or did.....I think he sold the motor some time back. i hope to have the highest hp 5sfe when all is said and done!

Hiko
08-03-2006, 04:35 AM
Did shave the head you mean?

Hookecho
08-03-2006, 04:37 AM
i'm pretty sure he shaved the head, but can't remember for sure.

ciento44
08-03-2006, 05:50 AM
i'm pretty sure he shaved the head, but can't remember for sure.

Yeah, he did. He ended up with over 200whp n/a on that engine before he was done with it.

partyball
08-03-2006, 07:08 PM
he used a 3s head and I know he didnt end with over 200whp n/a. He did after he turboed it but not n/a. I've been researching it lately at mr2oc.

Hookecho
08-04-2006, 12:53 AM
he had the 5s head when he dynoed that setup. he didn't us the 3sgte head until he
began building the 5sgte hybrid.

here's the info on that:

http://www.jimsnodgrass.com/enginebuildup.htm

here's a pic of his 5s head:

http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=190625&highlight=jim+snodgrass

IMMORTALGTS
08-05-2006, 01:53 PM
hey hookecho, those look loke some very promising mods you,re doing. i was thinking of going the whole cai/exhaust/header route myself. it looks like jim had good results from that setup.

why did you decide to use the e-manage and not safc? also, how much is this costing you and where did you find cams for the 5sfe?

Hookecho
08-05-2006, 02:41 PM
thanks, they are very good mods for the 5s. i think i spent around $1300 not including the the $500 i spent on the rebuild which included a crank, pistons, oil & water pump, and a few other things. i also had the tranny rebuilt by a freind and that cost me a few hundred bucks too.

i get all of my cams from Colt Cams in Canada. i have been doing business with Geoff Bardal(owner) for several years and have had 5 sets of cams made by him. he is a real nice guy and he knows a crapload about building well balanced performance engines. if you get him talking he'll never shut up though. but he is very helpful and if you call him with a question he will drop whatever it is he is doing and talk to you. also, he has 25 years experience in cam grinding and his prices a very reasonable. i guess everything is cheaper in Canada!

i chose e-manage over safc because it does more than air/fuel. although i do have one in my honda crx si and it would work very well with this setup.