PDA

View Full Version : neon

tubjub
08-01-2006, 05:45 AM
so i was cruising around today, and i'm in traffic and i see a black neon in the rearview pullin up on me fast.... pull up to an intersection and he's bouncin it off the revv limiter ...

i make the left hand turn onto a 4-lane.... and roll out slowly in 1st... i bring it up to about 4,000 ... let him get beside me... and i let it rip, barked the 1-2 shift and i hear 'em kick it down and try to keep up... he's on my rear bumper at this time and slowly falling back. i kept on it till about 70 and then i backed off.... mind you, all i have is a short ram, and a basically straight 2.5in exhaust, and a camry tranny swap.

so i slowed down and he gives me the flyby... and at the next light he says... lets go again...

i asked him what he had done ... stage 2 cams, intake, MSD box, cat-back...all of this on an SXT neon....

soo.. he staged it again, and when it hit green i left him again... the nasty 1-2 screech and all.

next light rolls up... "man my car ain't runnin right...."

i said "stage 2 cams my ass... " and drove off. must have been stock.

so there it is ... i beat a stock neon. lol

1990CelicaGT-S
08-01-2006, 12:48 PM
Haha, that's a good one. I haven't really met up with anybody looking to race yet. Well....other than a twin-turbo Skyline. I wasn't going to touch that. The car is crazy.

tubjub
08-01-2006, 06:15 PM
meh...

i managed a 16.01 @ 89 (crappy launch) and that was my best time for some reason, even with better launches. i'll have to locate the slip and scan it.

so i know most neons and hondas that run around my area aren't that quick... not that a celica is a racecar or anything.

ciento44
08-03-2006, 06:03 AM
so i was cruising around today, and i'm in traffic and i see a black neon in the rearview pullin up on me fast.... pull up to an intersection and he's bouncin it off the revv limiter ...

i make the left hand turn onto a 4-lane.... and roll out slowly in 1st... i bring it up to about 4,000 ... let him get beside me... and i let it rip, barked the 1-2 shift and i hear 'em kick it down and try to keep up... he's on my rear bumper at this time and slowly falling back. i kept on it till about 70 and then i backed off.... mind you, all i have is a short ram, and a basically straight 2.5in exhaust, and a camry tranny swap.

so i slowed down and he gives me the flyby... and at the next light he says... lets go again...

i asked him what he had done ... stage 2 cams, intake, MSD box, cat-back...all of this on an SXT neon....

soo.. he staged it again, and when it hit green i left him again... the nasty 1-2 screech and all.

next light rolls up... "man my car ain't runnin right...."

i said "stage 2 cams my ass... " and drove off. must have been stock.

so there it is ... i beat a stock neon. lol

What gen Neon? A stock first gen manual would have beaten you if the driver could drive. :P

tubjub
08-04-2006, 10:26 AM
most likely. lol

it was a late(er) model neon. thinking somewhere from 01-current. it was a 5-speed and it was slow... although i consider my car about the slowest thing i'd want to drive on a regular basis... but then again that's just me.

guy definately had an intake and an exhaust, i could hear both. but as far as the rest of his mods... well... i believe it was all BS....

a 2.0L neon can actually run quicker than a 16 flat ?

ciento44
08-04-2006, 06:28 PM
most likely. lol

it was a late(er) model neon. thinking somewhere from 01-current. it was a 5-speed and it was slow... although i consider my car about the slowest thing i'd want to drive on a regular basis... but then again that's just me.

guy definately had an intake and an exhaust, i could hear both. but as far as the rest of his mods... well... i believe it was all BS....

a 2.0L neon can actually run quicker than a 16 flat ?

I don't think the older SOHCs can, but i know the DOHC can.

tubjub
08-04-2006, 07:49 PM
i guess, but i've driven a couple of neons, but DOHC and SOHC, (new and old) ... and i just wasn't that impressed.

ciento44
08-05-2006, 08:16 AM
Eh, the first gens are quicker, at least to me, probably because they weigh a good 400lbs less. They don't have quite the grunt that the GTs do, but they're quicker...

There's an n/a 1st gen Neon around here running mid to low 14s, with hardly anything sunk into the engine.

tubjub
08-06-2006, 05:55 PM
well, i know there was a model of a neon, is it, ACR ? came with the DSM motor straight from the eclipse ... like 165hp stock... lol i think that's the 4G63 motor, but i'm not for sure

ciento44
08-06-2006, 11:50 PM
well, i know there was a model of a neon, is it, ACR ? came with the DSM motor straight from the eclipse ... like 165hp stock... lol i think that's the 4G63 motor, but i'm not for sure

Nope. Never. You should slap whoever told you that. :p

The old ACR had the same engine as the normal Neon. Model started production in 1995, had the same SOHC 2.0 litre as the normal Neon, but it weighed less, had a smoother tranny, and a MUCH better suspension.

After that, i believe in 1997, they switched all the Neons to the DOHC 2.0litre, and the ACR as well.