PDA

View Full Version : My personal method...

sakigt
01-14-2005, 04:50 PM
1. The wash- Use dish soap. This will strip whatever wax that is on the finish and will allow you to get the caked on dirt spots easier. Never use the same sponge you use on the wheels on your body. Wheels are dirty due to brake dust...Brake dust gets on sponge....dust is actually metal shards... you then scrape your paint with metal laden sponges. NO!
2. The Clay bar- Ive only been able to find this at Autozone. Comes with a clay bar and spray detailer. Spray dry finish with detailer and rub clay bar over finish. Not too wet that the clay bar doesn't create any friction and not too dry that the clay bar rubs off onto the finish. The clay bar will remove tar and other small particles off the finish. Wipe with a clean terry cloth towel.
3. The wax - My gawd. There are tons out there. I use Meguires. Cleaner wax when I have the time, but I usually go straight to the polish then caruba wax. Use a clean applicator pad. I find the better the wax, the longer it takes to dry, so go ahead and apply the entire car if need be. By the time its time to take it off if will be good to go. Wipe off with a clean terry cloth towel. Leave one in the car as you will probably miss a spot or two and notice it later. Rain also has a way of showing places you missed.
4. General tips. Wash your rags seperately from other clothes. The wax residue will ruin your white clothes. Use detergent and never bleach or fabric softner. These chemicals will stay on the cloth and isn't the kind of thing you want to rub against your finish.

I am not a proffessional. This is what Ive used on both my PT Cruiser and Celica All trac, pics can be seen of both at www.cardomain.com/id/sakigt and www.cardomain.com/id/sakigt4 . If you live in the Jacksonville area, I love detailing and wouldnt mind showing anyone that wanted to learn how to use the clay bar, etc.

Any questions or disagreements are welcome :D

carlosfandango
01-15-2005, 01:46 AM
good write up, never heard of a clay bar, will look into it.

never wash cloths with clothes, lol, i have a huge plastic swing bin in the garage which slowly fills up with nothing but terry towels specifcally for car prepping, they only ever get washed together on a boil wash and come out white each time, I soak them in soda first. I buy the terry towels at around $20 for a pack of 40, each cloth edge finished like a face cloth and about twice as big.

Doc
01-15-2005, 02:10 AM
Thats exactly the procedure I used this summer.

I got a lot of flack for using dish soap (removes natural oils in the paint etc). 6 months later I have not seen any effect in the finish.

Good writeup :bigthumbu

Gary
01-15-2005, 04:24 AM
Is that original paint or new paint on the trac?

Mike431635
01-15-2005, 06:12 PM
I think we can trust this method, seeing how BEAUTIFUL his Alltrac is!

Good advice. I really need to get a clay bar.

sakigt
01-15-2005, 07:26 PM
Is that original paint or new paint on the trac?

It was new 12 years ago ;)

Trance4c
01-16-2005, 02:59 AM
oh man.. you bought an alltrac?!?!?! ROFL!! Nice work there chicky. The PT just wasn't enough eh?

sakigt
01-16-2005, 04:40 PM
oh man.. you bought an alltrac?!?!?! ROFL!! Nice work there chicky. The PT just wasn't enough eh?

Nah. I reached the max tq with the PT a little too quickly. Oops. 300 just comes way too fast. :hehe:

Turbo AWD 5speed and looks sweet. What more could I ask for...maybe a little moar powa.

G-man
01-17-2005, 08:12 PM
I personally would not use dish soap as its too harsh for car paint. Also, as mentioned dish soap will remove the wax which is usually not what you want to do when washing a car. I hand wash my cars with warm water and car washing detergent that you can get at autozone or walmart. Then, if there are things like bugs, tar, or other marks, I use soft scrub and follow that with the mild car washing detergent. Just my $.02.

Elbrado2
01-20-2005, 05:01 AM
Im surprised that so many of you have never used clay bars. I work as a porter at a car dealership and the claybars are so heavily used. I like to wash the car, spray it off, then soap up a section at a time to claybar. After the claybar, i will buff any scratches, machine glaze, then wax. Just remember that any debris you pick up will stay in the clay. Make sure you fold and work the clay often.

carlosfandango
01-21-2005, 05:25 PM
ordered a wholebunch of stuff from Meguiars incl a clay bar detailing kit,
will let you know how i get on when the weather picks up, it'll be wax for now with all the sale on teh roads etc.

Dish soap dries out rubbers and seals aswell. Personaly i use Nato general detergent, as the last guy who lived in my Gaf was in teh forces and left a bunch of stuff in the garage. but when it's used up - it'll be back to professional car soap.

Sean
02-02-2005, 07:19 AM
Clay bars OWN! There really only necessary when you really want to strip the car down of all build up.

Pretty much what i do, except, I ALWAYS implement the two bucket rule. One for dirty water, and one for clean water.

ChopstiX
02-11-2005, 11:54 PM
100% cotton rags are a must. if you have a rag and dont know if its 100% cotton. cut a small section off and light it on fire. if there is anything remaning after it is burnt. it is not 100% cotton and really shouldent be used on a cars finish

carlosfandango
02-16-2005, 04:56 PM
:bigthumbu

feel free to tell us your personal methods for a good auto valet.

My method includes imagining i am washing and deatailing a chick :D