PDA

View Full Version : Water Injection Question

ROME
01-14-2005, 09:44 AM
I keep getting told that I need to be careful on how a water injection system is installed. But yet no one has mentioned what would be the write or wrong way to do so. Does anyone have a diagram or photos of an installed system on a 3sgte, showing the injector placements, and other important details?

ChrisD
01-14-2005, 03:26 PM
As a matter of fact, I do. http://www.gtfour.ca/wi.html

:)

Also check out Dennis's page: http://member.newsguy.com/~gtfour/modERL.htm

Weasy2k
01-16-2005, 07:04 PM
As talked about in other thread on other forums, basicly the best place to have the jet is right before the throttle body so the mist can vapourize better and get evenly distributed throughout the cyls.

Sean
01-16-2005, 11:47 PM
As talked about in other thread on other forums, basicly the best place to have the jet is right before the throttle body so the mist can vapourize better and get evenly distributed throughout the cyls.

As close to the intercooler, and as far away from the throttle body as possible is the ideal location for the jet.

Reference ERL's site, they have wonderful tips and tricks to assist you a long. Any specific questions, just post up :)

Hey, now that i have a digi cam, perhaps i could snap some pics....

ROME
01-17-2005, 05:26 AM
As close to the intercooler, and as far away from the throttle body as possible is the ideal location for the jet.

Reference ERL's site, they have wonderful tips and tricks to assist you a long. Any specific questions, just post up :)

See, placing the jets at the throttle body makes sence to me.. Can you tell me why you think it's better away from the TB and closer to the intercooler?

Now I will have a front mount before I use WI so I would be worried about water rusting out the intercooler.

Conrad_Turbo
01-17-2005, 06:27 AM
Your intercooler is aluminum so you shouldn't have to worry about it rusting. Haha.

Personally I do things against the grain...but if you had a large cc/min water injection system I'd place the water injection jet directly AFTER the throttle body. Only due to the fact of possibly pooling of water when the throttle blade is closed during shifts.

Otherwise I'd place it a good 6 inches away from the TB to allow more time for the water to mix completly with the air stream before going into the intake plenum.

See, placing the jets at the throttle body makes sence to me.. Can you tell me why you think it's better away from the TB and closer to the intercooler?

Now I will have a front mount before I use WI so I would be worried about water rusting out the intercooler.

Aust162
01-17-2005, 06:44 AM
with the water injector/s u have to weld them to the pipe yeah?i mean it has to be welded and mounted on either your I/C pipes or the TB inlet. is ther any other way to do it? tap a thread in or something?

Sean
01-17-2005, 11:29 AM

You want a complete homogonous mixture with the air, and with the water. You can put it before the intercooler, but then your not letting the intercooler due its job, thus, your going to lose its efficiency. As well as the lose some of your water volume to the scorching heat of the turbo. All things that are unintended, and working against you.

Conrad, if your ever to the point of "pooling" water, your injecting WAY to much water. The pressure switch is extremely responsive, its not going to pool up. I have never read any issues of this sort.

If you put the jet inside the intake manifold, you better know the flow of your plenum, and exactly where the air and water is going. You want an even distrubution of the water, to all 4 cylinders. Shooting it to close runs the risk of uneven distrubution, and some of your cylinders may be sacrificed.

Just my 2 psi :)

Sean
01-17-2005, 11:30 AM
I reread your post conrad, yeah, i guess with some serious flow of water, i guess you might have that problem???

Conrad_Turbo
01-17-2005, 12:58 PM
I reread your post conrad, yeah, i guess with some serious flow of water, i guess you might have that problem???

I recall seeing someone on the MR2 board showing a video clip of his water injection system in an intake pipe...it was a HELL of a lot of water. He had good gains and no issues with injecting that much water, but I'd definately be worried about pooling of water.

For even distribution you're correct, I'd definately go with 4 drilled and tapped holes in the intake manifold above each intake runner. Then to drop the flow rate (provided the flow rate is way too high using 4 injectors) I'd use a ball valve inline to the 4 injectors.