PDA

View Full Version : Telsa Roadster EV---designed by Lotus

extremeskillz
07-28-2006, 08:35 PM
Hey everyone i posted this as reply in one of the threads before. Just wanted to get your impression of electric vehicles (EV's) (not hybrid cars). Telsa Motors just release a protype EV with an 243hp electric motor with 0-60 speeds of 4sec and a range of about 250 mi on a charge. Im a personal fan of EV's and i know what they capable of doing. PPL think they are slow like golf carts but you are hells wrong if you think that. Golf carts are slow because they were design to be. You can make ur own EV fast as hell and ive seen one beat a ferarri (Science Channel). They are fast depending on the motor you use and batteries you use as well. Lithium Ion batteries are starting to get more production numbers and within time they will be as cheap as our car batteries are. Anywayz check www.evworld.com for the Telsa Roadster. Read the article. Its been getting a lot of hipe and is going to be released late 2007.

With a $100,000 price tag, it won't be in anyones garage anytime soon. As lithium ion batteries get cheaper and the costs of an EV get cheaper to what we can afford, i see a future for them. www.acpropulsion.com is working on a kit to convert Scions into EV's which will use the lithium ion batteries and have the practicallity of a normal cars. The project isn't posted on the site for some reason but its definatly been heard around the EV community.

Anyways check out the evworld.com site and all articles relating to the car and post here your comments of what you think of it!

Quote from EVWorld:"The dream is fast becoming a reality. The Tesla Roadster will start arriving in customer hands in 2007 after receiving DOT FMVSS certification. It can do 0-60 in around 4 seconds, hit 135 mph and go upwards of 250 miles on a charge. Recharge time is said to be under 4 hours. The only thing this car burns is rubber!"

extremeskillz
09-17-2006, 01:53 PM
The manufacture of this car just posted there website.

http://www.teslamotors.com/index.php?js_enabled=1

Has the feel of Lotus to me. I want one

Fuelish
09-17-2006, 10:44 PM
Sounds good, and all (actually VERY good !!!), but.......if it can't recharged in more or less the same amount of time it takes to refuel a car at the gas pump, it's a VERY limited market vehicle. If they can't come up with some sort of "flash charge" or something, electric cars will be nothing more than curiosities/playthings for the rich (or wannabes). I realize we have to wean ourselves from oil/gasoline, but....It ain't gonna fly if you have to spend XX hours charging it up when power runs out.....alternative fuel seems a better bet for the future of autos (or alternative fuel/hybrids). I need my car when I need my car.... can't schedule my life around a battery charger...... may not be the most ecological answer, but it's the realistic truth. The only way the electric vehicle has a future is if they can give you a long range (comparable with "fueled" vehicles) AND allow for some sort of hyper quick charging system (readily available nationwide, not plugging the pos into your garage wall overnight...)
Hey everyone i posted this as reply in one of the threads before. Just wanted to get your impression of electric vehicles (EV's) (not hybrid cars). Telsa Motors just release a protype EV with an 243hp electric motor with 0-60 speeds of 4sec and a range of about 250 mi on a charge. Im a personal fan of EV's and i know what they capable of doing. PPL think they are slow like golf carts but you are hells wrong if you think that. Golf carts are slow because they were design to be. You can make ur own EV fast as hell and ive seen one beat a ferarri (Science Channel). They are fast depending on the motor you use and batteries you use as well. Lithium Ion batteries are starting to get more production numbers and within time they will be as cheap as our car batteries are. Anywayz check www.evworld.com for the Telsa Roadster. Read the article. Its been getting a lot of hipe and is going to be released late 2007.

With a $100,000 price tag, it won't be in anyones garage anytime soon. As lithium ion batteries get cheaper and the costs of an EV get cheaper to what we can afford, i see a future for them. www.acpropulsion.com is working on a kit to convert Scions into EV's which will use the lithium ion batteries and have the practicallity of a normal cars. The project isn't posted on the site for some reason but its definatly been heard around the EV community.

Anyways check out the evworld.com site and all articles relating to the car and post here your comments of what you think of it!

Quote from EVWorld:"The dream is fast becoming a reality. The Tesla Roadster will start arriving in customer hands in 2007 after receiving DOT FMVSS certification. It can do 0-60 in around 4 seconds, hit 135 mph and go upwards of 250 miles on a charge. Recharge time is said to be under 4 hours. The only thing this car burns is rubber!"

extremeskillz
09-18-2006, 02:14 PM
I agree with you man. Charging sux but with the new lithium batteries coming out and eventually coming down in cost the range of EV will increase x2 due to deep discharge they are able to accomplish. And if your a eco driver that does speed often:hehe:the range on a EV will be enough for you commute everyday. 250mi range is all i need hell the most you probably do is 30 mi round trip average a day so it has the range for community to city driving just a lil more work is need to make it a car that i can go on vacation with.

angryyoungnpoor
09-19-2006, 06:59 PM
I don't see why they don't make a recharge pack on the car... Like an alternator/generator. If they can do it on fuel cars now, there's no reason it couldn't be done in the future on electric cars.

extremeskillz
09-19-2006, 07:52 PM
You can. just attach an alternator to the the electric motor. This has been done to home brew EV's to save weight recharging the 12V accessory battery instead of using a dc to dc convertor to recharge the battery. Also the attempt has been done to recharge the battery pack using two modified alternators attached to the motor. This slows the discharge down giving more distance.

Problem is you can't make the same energy being discharged to recharge. Because your using more energy then what can be produced. The alternator, although efficent, buts extra drag on the electric motor causing the motor to draw more energy from the battery pack.

extremeskillz
09-19-2006, 07:59 PM
even though recharging EV's is a headache, the big deal is in the battery technology. Lithuim ion has been called the holy grail of EV's because they last much long then regular nickel batterys, doubling the EV's distance. Recharge rates is cut from 8 hours to about 2-4, depending on how much energy is left over.

Other technologys like hydrogen will help also in the development on EV's because instead of a battery pack you have a hydrogen fuel cell. This produces electricity using electrolisis <parden the spelling. This even doubles the EV's range potencial.

Fuelish
09-19-2006, 08:14 PM
Yeah, hopefully fuel cells will pan out ..... the sooner we get offa the oil "addiction," the better. Then, the Middle Eastern oil producing countries can kiss our fat American buttocks' ;)
note : Fuelish is not attempting to offend/denigrate the middle easterners, but oil has been their only "power play," obviously...

Other technologys like hydrogen will help also in the development on EV's because instead of a battery pack you have a hydrogen fuel cell. This produces electricity using electrolisis <parden the spelling. This even doubles the EV's range potencial.

extremeskillz
09-19-2006, 08:17 PM
^agreed. And the cool thing about EV's whether its being recharged or using Hydrogen, to get the source you can use a bio fuel, wind, solar, etc. Its awesome stuff.

extremeskillz
09-19-2006, 08:31 PM
Heres one Mitsubshi is working on.

EVO MIEV

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2005/09/mitsubishi_to_d.html

http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/mitsubishi/mitsubishis-electric-evo-the-lancer-evolution-miev-122270.php

http://www.autoblog.com/2005/08/24/mitsubishi-testing-lancer-evo-with-in-wheel-electric-motors/

Heres a break down on how it works.
http://paultan.org/archives/2005/08/25/mitsubishi-lancer-evolution-miev/

goretro77
05-04-2008, 05:06 AM
The Tesla company used the Lotus Elise frame as a starting point - as you can hear for yourself in Jay Lenos article, they (Tesla) had to change it to make it work for electric. Actually, Lotus had very little to do with this car after contracting the chassis to Tesla.

Whether you're a supporter or naysayer of the movement and company, here is the latest:

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog2/

The Tesla is now a full production car.

and Jay Leno checking it out:
http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/video_player.shtml?vid=229378

Of all the electric designs out there for the sportscar genre, this one made the most sense. My complaints about it is the weight and the price. Still cool to see the design hit production.

VikingJZ
05-04-2008, 06:15 AM
I'm seriously buying a moped when I get back from Texas and only using it around town and when I drive eight miles to my girlfriend's house.

I refuse to pay $100,000 for a cool electric car. I'm sure eventually we can get something similar for $25-$30,000--maybe not as fast but similar.

However, The Tesla is a badass car, especially for what it is...just too expensive.

91GTvert
05-04-2008, 09:54 AM
I keep hearing about these new methanol fuel cells which will be coming out for cell phones, laptops, and all that. works just like a battery but instead of recharging it you just hook it up to get some more methanol put into it and the reaction(s) inside creates electricity (I'm no chemist, failed that class, and I don't know exactly how they work). Maybe sometime this tech. will come into cars but im pretty sure it wont happen for like another 40 years.

goretro77
05-04-2008, 01:33 PM
The problem with alternative fuel cars unless its water or electricity is unless there is the infrastructure already in place to distribute the fuel (whetever it may be) it will be difficult to market it as a replacement for gasoline. Gas stations are starting to tool up and offer alternative fuels but it may be a while before one can say every gas station offers this.

Personally I can't wait to drive one and feel the difference between it and my Elise. I am immediately concerned since it weighs close to 700 pounds heavier and costs almost twice as much.

The Teslas' torque looks amazing, it would be cool to see a roadrace between a Tesla and the original Elise whose frame it originated from. The exit speed and midrange power will have to go to the Tesla, braking, entry and top speed will go to the Elise.

In a dragrace I pretty much know who will win and it will not be the Elise.

Ghosty
05-04-2008, 07:49 PM
It's not a complete solution to the charging problem, but a vehicle's range could be significantly increased if solar cells are used on the body of the vehicle.

The most obvious placement for photovoltaic cells are on the roof, hood and trunk lid. However, with developments in nanotechnology, someday there may be a photovoltaic paint that can conduct electricity over any kind of surface or body panel.

Range and charging times are the big issues, of course. For the time being, we will be stuck with hybrids. Perhaps a good stopgap solution is to employ a very small diesel generator on board. This would strictly be for charging the battery. This is a system that trains currently use -- massive diesel generators that power the electric motors of the train. Because diesel engines burn so completely, it would be a big step up from current hybrids.

Ghosty
05-04-2008, 08:25 PM
Searching just now on Autoblog Green, I found that Nissan proposed an interesting solution to the recharging problem.

Interestingly, Nissan hopes to get 100 kilometers, or 62 miles, of range from a single battery pack, which could then be swapped out or recharged at an EV station -- sorta like an electrified version of today's gas stations and part of the Project Better Place idea.
http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/05/02/nissan-to-trial-sexy-electric-cars-in-london-and-california-by/

So pull up to a station and swap out your battery. Imagine a gas station that's just full of banks and banks of charging batteries. Pull up, ding the bell, someone takes out the battery with a hoist or something, plop a new battery in, and you're off.

Nissan can use this approach because they have downsized the battery, which has limited the range considerably. So it's not perfect, but it's interesting to note that Nissan has publicly stated it will be the "global leader in affordable electric cars."

Cavanagh
05-04-2008, 09:06 PM
and Jay Leno checking it out:
http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/video_player.shtml?vid=229378

Of all the electric designs out there for the sportscar genre, this one made the most sense. My complaints about it is the weight and the price. Still cool to see the design hit production.
Good video! It's cool, but expensive! That weight is the only thing that bothers me too.

KoreanJoey
05-04-2008, 09:41 PM
2400, it's still lighter than the celica.