PDA

View Full Version : shitty oil pressure gauge

toyotatuner
07-28-2006, 02:28 PM
Alright guys...i was in dire need of an oil pressure gauge so i ran out to advance auto parts to see if they have any. they sell two different types...one that was for 15 bucks and one for 25 bucks. so i figure u get what u pay for. right! uhh wrong! u see i wire it up and it works and then the more i drive the car the pressure just drops. no oil leaks from connections.

trust me...after driving for about half hour it reads 0 pressure at idle. i know what a car does when its at 0. IT DIES!! and my car def. does not do that. i'm just curious if anyone else has gotten a gauge that is just shitty.

helipos
07-28-2006, 03:18 PM
What type of gauge is it? If it's an electrical gauge try getting a multimeter check the voltage getting to the gauge. If the voltage drops over a period of time when you know the oil pressure is constant it would seem there is some sort of capacitor in the circuit. If however the voltage remains constant try stalling the engine on purpose and see what the voltage does then, it might be that your not hooked up to what you believe.
However if it's a mechanical thingamajig then i dont really have any idea. sorry

Regards Cameron

toyotatuner
07-28-2006, 04:32 PM
yeah its mechanical....ran the lines and all. also i'm using the tubing they gave with the gauge. not copper tubing. could this be a problem?

dont' really have the cash to buy electical. haha.

extremeskillz
07-28-2006, 06:32 PM
crap. don't know! i used electric autometer gauges. if you can see through the oil line to gauge see is theres any fluid traveling to the gauge itself if not that can be your problem!

tubjub
08-01-2006, 06:50 AM
make ABSOLUTELY sure that you haven't kinked the nylon line the kit is supplied with. that includes the fittings at the block, and the fittings at the gauge.. what is your pressure at start-up ? (idle, cold)

tubjub
08-01-2006, 06:54 AM
and if you want to hear a story...

i had put that kit on my other car, and while i was at the local dragway i had been running an open downpipe... well this melted the nylon tubing and it swelled up like a baloon, and squirted oil everywhere... i thought my car was on fire. 10 mins with a razor knife and a wrench, and some heat wrap i was good to go. i'd get the copper kit if i were you.

toyotatuner
08-02-2006, 02:45 AM
yeah i've been lookin into that...i think tommorow i'm goin to go ahead and get it. thanks.

GT4SOM
08-02-2006, 03:20 AM
Yeah I learned my lesson with shitty guages. I bought some "Oris" boost and oil pressure guage for 30 bucks for both and man at first it seemed like it worked fine but then I guess the spring in the boost guage wore out now I'm constantly at 0 on boost and oil pressure is at 20 psi with the engine off LOL. I gotta get me some auto meter ones.

andy
08-02-2006, 03:32 AM
Ive got the SUNPRO gagues. my oil pressure reads 0 at idle but when i had the mechanical one It read about 10ish. uh well i generally use it to make sure i have any oil pressure. It does go up to 50ish at about 3000. Uh well. later

Playfortoday
08-02-2006, 03:45 AM
What you are seeing is pretty normal. With a 3s, the stock sending unit is a horrible place to read true oil pressure at idle. I wish I had the MR2 stock location in the pan. At idle with an electric guage, I run 5-10psi. Given the lower quality and that you are running a mech guage that could have a air in the line or the pressure from the head is not great enough to overcome peaks and valleys in the height of the line (levelness/uphill, etc). Just make sure you are running at 35-50 at operating temp and various rpms.

helipos
08-03-2006, 01:29 PM
On the subject of oil gauges, does anyone know if the 7th gens have an output for an electrical oil gauge?

Regards Cam