PDA

View Full Version : e153 solara v6 vs e153 mr2 turbo

sbettencourt
07-27-2006, 05:45 AM
i'm wondering between the 99-00 solara v6 5 speed trans and the mr2 turbo trans...
wich one i better. i know that they have the same gear ratios but the solara trans has a bigger final drive wich would be better for hwy driving, the mr2 trans would be better for lower speeds.
wich trans will perform better on the 1/4 mile run in a 90 celica fwd with 3sgte swap running aprox. 400 hp?

burnyd
07-27-2006, 05:55 AM
they both have really long gears. So its very different from your regular S series short gears. Like for example when I ran my swap at the track this year for the first time using a e series when I was at the end of the track i was right at shifting to 4th gear. The gears are soooo tall.

So anyways getting back on both trans. For high horse power 3sgtes solara is a better trans because of the synchros are so much stronger. And if your going to have that much power you might as well want to toss in some lsd action! heh. I meen honestly youll one wheel peel all the way down through 1st and 2nd. its not going to be cheep in a 5th gen youll need

Solara trans which is already setup for FWD
Solara v6 trans
2 alltrac mounts. top and rear.
Alltrac cross member
mr2 inner axles
alltrac outer axles
Mr2 turbo clutch/Pressure plate
You can use your gt shifter cables but the alltrac ones are Alot better.
and the carrier bearing bracket + snap ring from an mr2 turbo.

But most of the Mr2 turbo e153 trans come with lsd you have to get the 03-95 trans. most of them came with lsd the way to check is checking to see if theres a bar right under where the inner would be on the passenger side axle. but honestly you need more parts for the mr2 trans to convert it to fwd

mr2 trrans/w lsd = expensive!!!
you need all the shifter parts like the actuator and all from a solara cost me 400 from the dealer
same mounts and cross member as suggested in the top part
and so on at the top

sorry to rant i hope I answered your question!

Dan3312
07-27-2006, 07:30 PM
they both have really long gears. So its very different from your regular S series short gears. Like for example when I ran my swap at the track this year for the first time using a e series when I was at the end of the track i was right at shifting to 4th gear. The gears are soooo tall.

So anyways getting back on both trans. For high horse power 3sgtes solara is a better trans because of the synchros are so much stronger. And if your going to have that much power you might as well want to toss in some lsd action! heh. I meen honestly youll one wheel peel all the way down through 1st and 2nd. its not going to be cheep in a 5th gen youll need

Solara trans which is already setup for FWD
Solara v6 trans
2 alltrac mounts. top and rear.
Alltrac cross member
mr2 inner axles
alltrac outer axles
Mr2 turbo clutch/Pressure plate
You can use your gt shifter cables but the alltrac ones are Alot better.
and the carrier bearing bracket + snap ring from an mr2 turbo.

But most of the Mr2 turbo e153 trans come with lsd you have to get the 03-95 trans. most of them came with lsd the way to check is checking to see if theres a bar right under where the inner would be on the passenger side axle. but honestly you need more parts for the mr2 trans to convert it to fwd

mr2 trrans/w lsd = expensive!!!
you need all the shifter parts like the actuator and all from a solara cost me 400 from the dealer
same mounts and cross member as suggested in the top part
and so on at the top

sorry to rant i hope I answered your question!
Well you need front and rear mounts from the all-trac with the cross member. Not top. Please explain why the All-trac shifter cables are better as I've only heard of a few people saying they needed them.
I'm sure this is a typo on your part but to help this guy out it's 93 - 99 MR2 turbo trannies. I know they stopped selling them here in 1995 but they were still in Japan after that and chances are he'll be getting a tranny from there if he gets a MR2 turbo tranny. They aren't that expensive, I paid $900 CND for one with LSD and it was from a 96 and came with both inner axles and carrier (to bad I sold it).
If you're resoursefull at all you'll be able to find an all-trac tranny and take the shifter actuatetor and the part that holds the cables. The hardest part to get is the axles and it doesn't matter which trans you go with, you need them.
If you're looking at drag racing then you'll need an LSD. The MR2 LSD tranny is the cheaper way to go this way. The Solara tranny does have the better syncros but by the time you buy and install an LSD in the Solara tranny you could have bought 2 MR2 LSD trannies and have change left over compared to buying the Solara tranny and LSD.
Not having to mess around as much with the Solara tranny is nice, but in the end I personally would take the MR2 tranny because I don't have the money for the LSD and I want it now.

burnyd
07-27-2006, 08:26 PM
1.)yes you do need the front and rear mounts from an alltrac.
2.)the na shifter cables are ok but need to be modified onthe bracked to make them work correctly. If you dont you will only get 2nd,4th and reverse to work properly. The shift isnt as good with the na cables. Alltrac ones feel much better.
3.)yes 93-99 but your chances of finding a gen 3 trans ... HAH!
4.)inner axles from an mr2 the non lsd ones are really cheep. And the outers from advance are also cheep. People on mr2oc will sell inner axles non lsd fro really cheep.

5.) have you ever done the trans converstion in a fwd celica with a 3sgte?

Dan3312
07-28-2006, 03:17 PM
1) Thank you
2) Thank you for telling me I now know
3) I had a 96 and it wasn't that hard to get
4) Yeah the non-lsd ones are cheap so if the Solara tranny only needs non lsd ones then that's great
5) Nope but I've done a good amount of research and helped a friend do it with what I could.

extremeskillz
07-28-2006, 06:26 PM
:laugh: I liked how he replied in order!

burnyd
07-28-2006, 08:39 PM
5) Nope but I've done a good amount of research and helped a friend do it with what I could.

its not the easiest trans swap in the world.

Dan3312
07-29-2006, 06:45 AM
Yeah I know, but I have taken the tranny out of the celica and with the right parts it will all bolt up. Finding all the right parts is the problem.

Punisher
07-29-2006, 07:20 AM
its not the easiest trans swap in the world.

Ain't the hardest either so don't try to exxagerate it so much.

I just picked up an LSD w/ speedo gear from a 95 MR2 on eBay from a guy in Japan.. 300 + 130 ship to the states... You can't beat that with burnyD's tool.

Go with the Solara trans if at all possible.

I'd recommend getting a Kaaz LSD anyway, after you buy the MR2 LSD inner axles and whatever else you may need.. you might as well of just paid 900 for a Kaaz and used regular fuckin auto parts store axles... No parts store under our north american sun has the LSD axles or can get them. I just paid 400 dollars from toyota for them.. which is an amazing deal.. no one on MR2OC wanted to cough some up for me and none of the importers had them.

An aftermarket LSD will be a Torsen unit as well which is better than the MR2's Viscous Limited Slip Diff (VLSD).

burnyd
07-29-2006, 07:35 AM
Ain't the hardest either so don't try to exxagerate it so much.

I just picked up an LSD w/ speedo gear from a 95 MR2 on eBay from a guy in Japan.. 300 + 130 ship to the states... You can't beat that with burnyD's tool.

Go with the Solara trans if at all possible.

I'd recommend getting a Kaaz LSD anyway, after you buy the MR2 LSD inner axles and whatever else you may need.. you might as well of just paid 900 for a Kaaz and used regular fuckin auto parts store axles... No parts store under our north american sun has the LSD axles or can get them. I just paid 400 dollars from toyota for them.. which is an amazing deal.. no one on MR2OC wanted to cough some up for me and none of the importers had them.

An aftermarket LSD will be a Torsen unit as well which is better than the MR2's Viscous Limited Slip Diff (VLSD).

you think your the tranny guy...... heh I meen that really your a real tranny....

dude wait till you go to do it... its not as easy and simple as you think it will be..

t-axiom1
08-05-2006, 12:51 AM
Sorry to ask these questions but I did not do the work on my car, I had a shop do it.
I have a 3SGTE Fwd conversion on my celica GT, and I went with the MR2 lsd tranny.
Now The only parts I did not use on the list above was the inner shafts out of the mr2. They used the alltrac ones and they said they fit just fine, however they did have to do a bump out on the bottom of the car near the control arm on the body of the car (for proper shaft clearance)..

What is the difference between the MR2 LSD axels and the non lsd axels?

And how do you get your speedometer to work when using a 95 MR2 LSD tranny (electrical sensor) on a mechanical cluster, my celica had a mechanical tranny?

Any help is appreciated, thanks guys.

Luni
08-05-2006, 01:12 AM
You should have used alltrac OUTERS and MR2 inners.

The only difference between LSD and non LSD axles is the spline length. LSD axles have longer splines by a few inches. So you can have non lsd axle splines machined to work. Homeboy here in Utah that has done TONS of gen3 swaps and shit said he has machined em with a die grinder before.

As for the mechanical speedo issue, just swap out the speedo mechanical sensor from your old tranny (not sure if it will fit or not), or one from a 91-92 MR2 Turbo.

t-axiom1
08-05-2006, 01:26 AM
Thanks a lot for the info..

What would happen if I was not to use the MR2 inner shafts in conjunction with the alltrac outers..