PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Bolt stripped!

elektrateq
07-27-2006, 12:16 AM
I have a 12mm bolt stripped and i cant get my engine mount off because of it. I need it off!!! Sprayed it with wd40. PB blaster going on next... anyone know any tricks?

alltracman78
07-27-2006, 12:54 AM
Try putting upward pressure [or whatever direction the bolt would normally come out] on it while spinning it.
Or is the head stripped?

Lagos
07-27-2006, 01:04 AM
craftsman Boltouts.

elektrateq
07-27-2006, 01:11 AM
sorry, head stripped

Rick89GTS
07-27-2006, 04:16 AM
Have you tried Vice Grips?

1990CelicaGT-S
07-27-2006, 11:49 AM
If you can't get the farmers tool in there to get the bolt, try heating it with a torch and hammering on a socket to get the bolt off.

elektrateq
07-28-2006, 05:26 AM
Cant get enough torque on it with vice grips. I tried the Gator socket thingy and it sucked! It didnt seem to work well on non stripped bolts either so im returning that shit... wouldn't recomend it.

I tried hammering on the socket... I havn't tried heating it, mainly cause its soaked with wd40 wich is flamable no? Oh wait, i dont have a torch... How much can i expect to pay a shop? It's really easy to get to (just pop the hood) so... does anyone know what a fair price is jsut to remove a bolt. Actually, it's one of those nuts that looks like a bolt i think... hmmm... maybe i should just crack it.

elektrateq
07-28-2006, 05:46 AM
here's a quick simple rendering off where the bolt/nut is. Can anyone tell me if this is a bolt or just a nut? It's mounted on the tranny between the engine and the air intake box. 1990 st.

http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~lvickery3/graphics/bolthelp.jpg

dan93st
07-28-2006, 06:25 AM
Cant get enough torque on it with vice grips. I tried the Gator socket thingy and it sucked! It didnt seem to work well on non stripped bolts either so im returning that shit... wouldn't recomend it.

I tried hammering on the socket... I havn't tried heating it, mainly cause its soaked with wd40 wich is flamable no? Oh wait, i dont have a torch... How much can i expect to pay a shop? It's really easy to get to (just pop the hood) so... does anyone know what a fair price is jsut to remove a bolt. Actually, it's one of those nuts that looks like a bolt i think... hmmm... maybe i should just crack it.

Don't worry about the WD-40. I just used an acetelene (sp?) torch on the studs on the exhaust manifold to get those out. They were drenched in WD-40/PB Blaster/some other stuff, it will burn off before it flames up. As long as you let the stuff dry first and it is no longer in liquid form, it will not likely be an issue.

1990CelicaGT-S
07-28-2006, 02:17 PM
A garage shouldn't charge you much to take off a bolt. I guess it all depends on how long it takes them to get it. They may charge for torch time. I know of some places that get away with that.

toyotatuner
07-28-2006, 02:35 PM
dude....how just drillin out the center of it. me and my buddy did this the other day to some of his bolts that broke off completly. they have a snap on kit...but it really isn't needed.
- drill a hole down the middle of it.
- then hammer in something that will grab if u twist.
- get some vice grips and turn that baby.

if its 12mm i would switch to domestic(lil smaller) i don't know which size. hammer that socket on it. will definetly work. have done it a million times. BUT TRY HAMMERING BEFORE DRILLING.

MCcelica
07-28-2006, 04:23 PM
dude....how just drillin out the center of it. me and my buddy did this the other day to some of his bolts that broke off completly. they have a snap on kit...but it really isn't needed.
- drill a hole down the middle of it.
- then hammer in something that will grab if u twist.
- get some vice grips and turn that baby.

if its 12mm i would switch to domestic(lil smaller) i don't know which size. hammer that socket on it. will definetly work. have done it a million times. BUT TRY HAMMERING BEFORE DRILLING.

That's what I was going to say. You beat me too it rob! I've done that a few times myself.

WannabeGT4
07-28-2006, 04:34 PM
craftsman Boltouts.

Lagos knows what he's talking about. These things are a life saver.

toyotatuner
07-28-2006, 04:34 PM
heck yeah...works like charm. being a Celica owner u gotta learn how to overcome obstacles. i've also coem to accept that fact that NOTHING is easy. u think changin the oil will take u 15 min. WRONG! haha. something always happens.