PDA

View Full Version : High output alternator for 90 celica??

Everlasting289
01-14-2005, 04:05 AM
Hey, I recently put in an amp, sub, new head unit, and various other electronical toys. I have blown three alternators in the past 6 months. I had the battery tested and it is all perfect. I am putting a cap into system, but I fear it wont be enough. I read up on high output alternators and it seems that anything stronger than the stock would be great. Is there anywhere I can find one?? I heard of a few shops that will sup' up stock, but would rather just buy a new HO alt if possible. Can anyone help me find one??? Thanks. Any other suggestions might help.

Oz^
01-14-2005, 04:36 AM
hey, I am also wondering about this. I do have a cap for the amp I will be using for subs but If i install a new 4 channel amp to replace the stock amp will i need a 2nd cap or will the 2nd amp powering 6 speakers (deck running other 4) not be using enough power to need a 2nd cap?

carlosfandango
01-14-2005, 05:23 AM
ive heard of running an aux battery for your ice, but not the alternator..

david in germany
01-14-2005, 06:59 AM
Hey, I recently put in an amp, sub, new head unit, and various other electronical toys. I have blown three alternators in the past 6 months. I had the battery tested and it is all perfect. I am putting a cap into system, but I fear it wont be enough. I read up on high output alternators and it seems that anything stronger than the stock would be great. Is there anywhere I can find one?? I heard of a few shops that will sup' up stock, but would rather just buy a new HO alt if possible. Can anyone help me find one??? Thanks. Any other suggestions might help.

Where did you purchased the bad alternators? I can't understand the concept of blowing one. I ran about 700watts rms off of the stock 60 amp for about 4 years without a problem. I upgraded the alternator (ebay 140amp)because I jumped up a few watts, ok a few hundred....
I have read that for every 500 watts that a .5 farrad cap is ok but I personaly think that 1.farrad per 500 watts is better.

I am thinking the alternators that you have had die are not that good of a replacement to the stock one. You can find shops all over in the US that will rewind your stock one (usualy cheaper than a good rebuilt alt)
Good luck!
David

RubberDuckie
01-14-2005, 08:49 AM
If you have the 5SFE engine, I have a 160amp alternator for sale for $200. Paid $350 for it, still have like 3 months left on warrenty. Stock alternator is like 80 amps I believe. This thing improved my SPL for my system a whole hell of a lot!

Blackcloud
01-14-2005, 09:06 AM
the general rule of thumb is 1farad for every 1000w. so what size amps are you running?

and also normaly when your alt blows your battery goes with it.. try replacing both next time

Everlasting289
01-14-2005, 11:14 PM
Alright this is the story. Bought the car last fall. Put in my one amp and sub. Shouldnt even need a cap!! I know I know!! There is a voltage meter on my dash and with every tiny little pound of the sub that voltage meter bounces like crazy. I blew an alternator over the summer. It stopped charging the battery. Replaced it. The new one lasted me 2months and something went and it overcharged the battery. Replaced it yet again and within a week blew that one. I had that replaced and have had this alt for a couple months now. Auto Zone tested the battery and said it was perfect. If I have the lights on or wipes going everything dims so badly. I guess I am going to have this cap put in and then if it still doesnt help I am going to go find some shop to rewind/rebuild my alt. Thanks for all your posts.

Blackcloud
01-14-2005, 11:29 PM
i had mine tested too.. was putting out 12v which ment it was good.. but it was still a dead battery.

before you blow your money on a cap try upgrading all your wiring first. a cap will not do shit for you if your having problems powering the main battery in the first place

Rayme
01-14-2005, 11:41 PM
I think a good battery is better than a larger alternator, an alternator has just no "capacitor" properties.

I say that because I experienced a really dead battery, every single bass hit would make my stereo reset and slight bog the engine(same thing when I turned on my headlights) haha.

Everlasting289
01-15-2005, 05:14 AM
See that was my first thought, I could use a better battery. But my father and gf's father both said, and I quote "No it isnt your battery, once you start the car the battery doesnt matter anymore." I'm only 18, I got some car exp, put in my system and have done some work under the hood, so I had no area to argue with my dad who used to build up cars and trucks.

Rayme
01-15-2005, 06:14 AM
See that was my first thought, I could use a better battery. But my father and gf's father both said, and I quote "No it isnt your battery, once you start the car the battery doesnt matter anymore." I'm only 18, I got some car exp, put in my system and have done some work under the hood, so I had no area to argue with my dad who used to build up cars and trucks.

You can't really say the car runs on the battery or the alternator, they are both linked, the car with run with either of them not functional.