PDA

View Full Version : My $60 Paintjob (so far)

Morwan
07-21-2006, 05:46 AM
Just a couple of pictures of my new-ish paintjob. I laid down the fourth coat yesterday, but a huge thunderstorm came through half an hour later and blew all sorts of shit into it.

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/2/8/2/6/thirdsidesm.jpg
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/2/8/2/6/thirdfront.jpg

My hood is going to look like shit, I totally fucked up on the prep work.. But hey, it's not pink. :P

It's nowhere close to finished, I'm going to wetsand out all the shit, lay on two more coats, wetsand and then polish. It should look a lot better by then.

ScottGT-S
07-21-2006, 06:03 AM
it looks pretty good man, did you paint it on the side of the road like that?!

Morwan
07-21-2006, 06:10 AM
Yeah, the neighbors weren't too cool with it, but I'm not paying $500 for a shitty paintjob. :P

The worst part is the shit gets in the drying paint.. leaves, dust, bugs, cat hairs. I'm pretty good about cleaning up the car between coats, it should turn out something like a GM paintjob- some orange peel but better than Earl Schieb or Macco.

insomnak8702
07-21-2006, 06:14 AM
not bad....wish i had experience in paint to paint my own car :eeek:

Rio_Cyber
07-21-2006, 10:06 PM
try sanding it down now with some 2000 paper, an then puta a layer or 2 on top of that...

GT4SOM
07-22-2006, 02:23 AM
You ever consider buying one of those tents that pop right up. Like a 10x10? What are you using to paint it? Paint cans or Spray gun?

ciento44
07-22-2006, 03:47 AM
Oooooo... i know i know.

He's using a roller. And Rustoleum. And lots and lots of sanding.

I thought i was going to be the first on the boards to do that. :(

Ah well... mine will be free, though... (bonus gift cert at local hardware. :) )

Morwan
07-22-2006, 05:55 AM
I'm actually spraying it, the extra $$ for the Wagner HVLP sprayer ($45 after rebate) is definitely worth it. The coats go on much quicker and smoother, and they dry a little faster.

GT4SOM: Hm, good idea, but it's a little out of my price range. I did some searching, those tents cost $200-$300 :(.

Rio_Cyber: I'm going to sand it down with 1500 grit, it's more orange peely than the pics look (thanks $50 camera). I'm saving 2000 for the final coat.

ciento44
07-22-2006, 09:09 AM
Ah ok.... so you think springing the extra for the sprayer is worth it? Well.. duh... stupid question. :)

At time of pic, how many hours were in it? Did you practice on anything else first?

ScottGT-S
07-22-2006, 09:46 AM
Keep the pics rolling, respect for even attempting this. I'd like to try this one day.
Is that a Toyota OEM colour?

extremeskillz
07-22-2006, 04:09 PM
Looks good so far! Good Luck with it! By the way Norwan in your pics i notice the paint a lil faded. Is that because you didn't clear it yet?

Morwan
07-22-2006, 05:10 PM
ScottGT-S: Nope, I'm actually painting with a single stage enamel paint (aka rustoleum). I picked Navy Blue because it's the same shade as my favorite Toyota color, Spectra Blue Mica.

extremeskills: Part of that is the dust that got in the paint during the thunderstorm, the other part is that the paint isn't quite smooth yet. It'll shine pretty well when I wetsand and polish it. The shine isn't going to be as 'wet' looking as a good clear coat since it's coming from the paint itself.

At time of pic, how many hours were in it? Did you practice on anything else first?
Discounting the time it took me to remove all of the trim, prep was four or five hours. I wetsanded with 220 and then 320.

Each coat takes me about 15 minutes to put on, but the prep takes about an hour. I wash down the car with dish soap, dry it off completely, wipe it down with paint thinner, and then go over it with a tack cloth.

Wetsanding between coats takes me around 2-3 hours, and I do that every two coats.

So total time would be around 12-13 hours of work. I moved to the sprayer because it made the work a little easier.

Heh, I didn't expect this many replies.. I found my digital camera that day, and decided to snap some pics of the thunderstorm. :P

partyball
07-27-2006, 04:22 AM
Did you strip your car down to the bare surface or just remove all of the looser paint and scuffed it up?

Morwan
07-28-2006, 03:12 AM
I scuffed it up a bit, first with 220 and then with 320. Normally you'd sand off the clear coat, but Toyota mixed in the clear with the paint. I didn't go down to the base coat in most places, I just sanded down until the surface was smooth as glass.

An oil-based enamel binds stronger and is more resistant to damage, but they take a longer time to dry (8-24 hours). That's why most cars are painted with polyurethane.

Morwan
08-03-2006, 12:58 AM
Laid down the final coat yesterday (lol dent from hit and run) :
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/2/8/2/6/finalcoat.jpg

Going to let it cure for a week before I wetsand (1500 -> 2000) and polish it.

partyball
08-03-2006, 06:52 PM
looks pretty sweet man cant wait to see final product.

angryyoungnpoor
08-04-2006, 04:37 AM
HOw was the over-spray with that? I'd imagine getting pissed if I saw some paint particals on my car.

Also.. whereabout's do you live?

zmile06
08-04-2006, 12:55 PM
Lol looks amazing, way better then a crap maaco paint job looks like you did alot of prep work!

People who hit and run need to be shot:)

Morwan
08-09-2006, 06:36 AM
No new pics. I've been driving the car around without any of the trim, I lost one of the corner light screws. :(

I'm waiting for my spoiler to get here so I can paint and install it, I'll take more pics after I do that.

HOw was the over-spray with that? I'd imagine getting pissed if I saw some paint particals on my car.

Also.. whereabout's do you live?
Overspray wasn't a big problem, people made sure to give me space when they parked. I made sure to check over other cars, and nothing seemed to stick onto them.

I did some pretty shoddy prep on the hood, you can tell that I didn't sand it down completely flat- there were some gouges in the paint that I didn't bother to sand out during prep.

I live near Skinker in University City, about four blocks north of to Forest Park. I'll be going to the autocross on Sunday.. It'll be the first one I've been to in two months. :/

BEAMS
08-11-2006, 12:59 AM
Looks good. Post up the finished pics.

schmooot
08-14-2006, 10:52 PM
ouch